• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Name

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
Hi all,
I already have a new name which I love , Simranjit. I'll explain the history below. By the way, I wasn't able to change my profile's name. Do I need to create a new profile?

again, I am not nit picking, but the whole point of what you are doing is to avoid the above, and accept that a name is just a name given by God

Ester Ji

I think Harry has a point, in that, regardless of which letter you receive, one accepts it completely. There is no place for like or dislike etc. Admittedly, some letters can create difficulty in finding names, but even that is a surmountable challenge.

Remember that one receives only the first letter, and God gives you the choice of the name!
Kindly let us know how you get on.

Sat Sri Akal

I think I didn't explain myself well enough. My list of names was long but not not exhaustive and for some letters I had just a few that I didn't like a lot. So, I thought that in case this was the chosen letter I might look for more names starting with this letter. It is not that there are letters that I disliked :)

WOW !!!!!..found what, the courage, name or the letter ?
At this moment, the courage. Now the letter too :)
..with time you will come to learn and understand "your" Guru [spiritual husband], just as you would your "husband" in a marital relationship
I really hope so :).
..the idea "sikh name" from SGGSJ is demonstrative of and commitment to a HIGHER BEING [HB] ! The reading n understanding of SGGSJ is a discipline in itself which should be learnt from qualified teachers [Granthies].
Actually I'd like to attend classes on Punjabi and Sikhi. I have to ask my Sikh local aquaintances.
god doesn't just play dice, god plays fairly. So yes, go ahead and pick random [Quantum Physics] numbers and open the page. Once you've opened the page kindly post it here and I'll guide you through.
This is very kind of you. As I explain below I already have a new name :)

Ester I would have to say that their is no need to think about being 'reborn'..
This journey you've been on since birth and it will continue, it's your journey esters journey..
Names are the least of your worries!
The way I see it is as follows: there are many different stages in one's life. With stages within stages. Ideally we keep on growing and learning and going through stage since we are coinceived. Sometimes changes are gradual. Sometimes we start a new stage pretty suddently. Some changes are big. Others not that much. In this case I felt that the change is so important that seems like an inflection point. It is not really that i'm reborn. I see the continuity in all this. Were I am now is the consequence of were I've been before.
Dear Ester

Taking account of all that has been said so far, including my own, you can see how different tongues have expressed different views on the one subject, name. This is interesting because there is bit of that "nameness" in all of them, qualifying it as it were, the doctrinal aspects associated with a Sikh name. Consider yourself fortunate therefore, to have connected with an ancestral past of time immemorial.

Enjoy
I do :)

So, this is the history of my name. I both love the story and the name :)
I went to the Gurudwara last Friday around 16:30. There was a very young men and I asked him who was the Grathi as I wanted a new name and I hoped the Granthi might help me. Two more men approched us trying to help. They look for the Granthi and 10 minutes later the Granthi was running a ceremony in which the presents participated. It was such a surprise. I cryed of joy. It was so beautiful. The Granthi took the letter himself and let it know to my new friends as he was unable to speak Spanish and unfurtunately I don't speak Punjabi (yet).They helped me to find the letter in my Gurmukhi alphabet and then in my names list and told me I was lucky as Sussa is the first letter of Satnam. Beautiful....... Then I sat alone for a while and "Simranjit" just felt like the right one. I just fell in love with it. The meaning is so wonderfully reminding me the reasons why I started this path.... It will be an inspiration. It expresses a wish :).
I went to chat with this wonderful men and the an old man who is usually at the Gurudwara and knows me and my son came, and when they told him the story in Punjabi, he smiled warmly, huged me and said "hi Simranjit Kaur". Beautiful......

I want to thank all the presents in this thread for your help and inspiration. For encouraging me to find my own way. For showing me the variety of approaches a topic as important as it can have and specially for making me feel welcome here.

Love,

Simranjit

Last edited:

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
I wasn't able to change my profile's name. Do I need to create a new profile?

Congratulations Ester Ji :)

We will change it for you! Would you like is to be Simarnjit or Simarnjit Kaur?

We will do it right away. Your password and other information would remain the same.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
So, this is the history of my name. I both love the story and the name :)
..there's more stay tuned !

"Simranjit"
The name Simranjit has 2 syllables: Simran, meaning, to remember [meditation] and Jit [pronounced jeet], meaning victory. Together it means victorious in meditation/contemplation.

All Indian names have meanings, try reading Simranjit in conjunction with:

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਆਖਾ ਜੀਵਾ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਉ ॥ ਆਖਣਿ ਅਉਖਾ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੈ ਭੂਖ ॥ ਉਤੁ ਭੂਖੈ ਖਾਇ ਚਲੀਅਹਿ ਦੂਖ ॥੧॥ ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਇ ॥ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਾਚੈ ਨਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਤਿਲੁ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥ ਆਖਿ ਥਕੇ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਜੇ ਸਭਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਕੈ ਆਖਣ ਪਾਹਿ ॥ ਵਡਾ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਘਾਟਿ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥੨॥ ਨਾ ਓਹੁ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋਗੁ ॥ ਦੇਦਾ ਰਹੈ ਨ ਚੂਕੈ ਭੋਗੁ ॥ ਗੁਣੁ ਏਹੋ ਹੋਰੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਹੋਆ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਆਪਿ ਤੇਵਡ ਤੇਰੀ ਦਾਤਿ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਕੀਤੀ ਰਾਤਿ ॥ ਖਸਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਹਿ ਤੇ ਕਮਜਾਤਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਵੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਸਨਾਤਿ ॥੪॥੩॥ SGGSJ, 9.

Translation [bold]: I'm alive when I utter thy name [meaning, simran; meaning, when I remember thee O'Lord] and dead when I don't.

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
..there's more stay tuned !

The name Simranjit has 2 syllables: Simran, meaning, to remember [meditation] and Jit [pronounced jeet], meaning victory. Together it means victorious in meditation/contemplation.

All Indian names have meanings, try reading Simranjit in conjunction with:

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਆਖਾ ਜੀਵਾ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਉ ॥ ਆਖਣਿ ਅਉਖਾ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੈ ਭੂਖ ॥ ਉਤੁ ਭੂਖੈ ਖਾਇ ਚਲੀਅਹਿ ਦੂਖ ॥੧॥ ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਮਾਇ ॥ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਾਚੈ ਨਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਤਿਲੁ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥ ਆਖਿ ਥਕੇ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਜੇ ਸਭਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਕੈ ਆਖਣ ਪਾਹਿ ॥ ਵਡਾ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਘਾਟਿ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥੨॥ ਨਾ ਓਹੁ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋਗੁ ॥ ਦੇਦਾ ਰਹੈ ਨ ਚੂਕੈ ਭੋਗੁ ॥ ਗੁਣੁ ਏਹੋ ਹੋਰੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਹੋਆ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਆਪਿ ਤੇਵਡ ਤੇਰੀ ਦਾਤਿ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਕੀਤੀ ਰਾਤਿ ॥ ਖਸਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਹਿ ਤੇ ਕਮਜਾਤਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਵੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਸਨਾਤਿ ॥੪॥੩॥ SGGSJ, 9.

Translation [bold]: I'm alive when I utter thy name [meaning, simran; meaning, when I remember thee O'Lord] and dead when I don't.

Thanks <3

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: