• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Hindu Muslim Christain

Jan 25, 2018
Religion is an illusion.

Guru Nanak taught that there is no Hindu or Muslim, hence no religion. There's only One- Truth.

And yet most people seem to ignore this Truth.
So then there shouldn't be any Sikh, Christian, Jews, etc. Either right? I understand Hindus and Muslims were primarily the population in that region during his time. But if you expand his thought worldwide, isnt that what he means?

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Ravneet,
One more reason of my questioning was that comparing the choice of a religion which is passed in the family since the conception unlike one’s profession which happens much later in one’s life and it normally is decided by the adult who was a fetus once with or without the outer influences.

The religion is a different matter because it is like the birds of a feather and many parents take that for granted and feel offended if their loved ones refuse to follow the same path unlike the profession.

As a religion “is sowed” by the parents in the womb, it becomes difficult for the child to cut off this umbilical cord. In this case, the grown up starts with a rebellion in order to find his/her path for self betterment. Some make this change successfully but many feel lost in the market of different faiths because unlike any profession, religion or no religion is the journey of the individual and that path is pretty rough because it is an internal change whereas any profession is practiced out in public which makes it easier for a person to become better through practice.
In closing I would just add that if one has found a better path for self betterment, one should go for it but this can only take place much later in one’s life even after being a doctor for years as a professional.
Sat Sri Akaal,

Guru Nanak, Our Mentor,. Though born in Hindu Family, has not accepted this . And system of ritualism. We must accept that system of Gurubani Education must be in place, to educate our children.
Else this will not carry forward

The statement is Intent of parent not belongs to Truth of Nature.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Ravneet,
One more reason of my questioning was that comparing the choice of a religion which is passed in the family since the conception unlike one’s profession which happens much later in one’s life and it normally is decided by the adult who was a fetus once with or without the outer influences.

The religion is a different matter because it is like the birds of a feather and many parents take that for granted and feel offended if their loved ones refuse to follow the same path unlike the profession.

As a religion “is sowed” by the parents in the womb, it becomes difficult for the child to cut off this umbilical cord. In this case, the grown up starts with a rebellion in order to find his/her path for self betterment. Some make this change successfully but many feel lost in the market of different faiths because unlike any profession, religion or no religion is the journey of the individual and that path is pretty rough because it is an internal change whereas any profession is practiced out in public which makes it easier for a person to become better through practice.
In closing I would just add that if one has found a better path for self betterment, one should go for it but this can only take place much later in one’s life even after being a doctor for years as a professional.
Sat Sri Akaal,

Guru Nanak, Our Mentor,. Though born in Hindu Family, has not accepted this statement . and system of ritualism. We must accept that system of Gurubani Education and practice must be in place, to make our children learn. ie to be Sikh
Else this will not carry forward

The statement above related to 'sowed by parents' is Intent of parent not belongs to Truth of Nature.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
SAT SRI AKAAL,

Education is elightening with practice, repeated practice of education, brings changes in cellular memories, which improves the philosphy at root level.

Propogation of education and practice, that brings changes in cellular memory, which is part of unconcious and subconcious mind.
makes one Guru Sikh.
False rituals have no place in this system .

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

There is no religion. To assume there is one is assuming that He can be confined to a sect.

He is Everpresent and All Pervading.

We choose not to see him in all and serve him.

Instead we choose slavery to falsehood, religions, sects, rituals, outer appearance instead of inner purity, slavery to Maya- falling into the well of desire.

The universe is His Gurdwarra and He is All.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
So then there shouldn't be any Sikh, Christian, Jews, etc. Either right? I understand Hindus and Muslims were primarily the population in that region during his time. But if you expand his thought worldwide, isnt that what he means?

Yes. you cannot confine God to a sect. He's everywhere n everything.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
It was one of his first teachings. pretty much everyone knows it if you've heard of Guru Nanak.
Please stop getting into a sarcastic attitude of t it for tat with me. We will both end up being losers rather than what we are trying to do here, that is, to become better as human beings.
Are you implying I don’t know Guru Nanak but you do? That is a shameless attitude laced with Me-ism.

Please give me the reference that it was his first teaching from any source to prove your claim. Thanks

Jan 25, 2018
Yes. you cannot confine God to a sect. He's everywhere n everything.
But yet here we are 2018 and Sikhi did become its own sect.
During his time, Nanak travelled and shared his vision, thoughts. And some left behind Hinduism or Islam and became his followers (Sikhs). And you can argue the rest of the world didnt get his message because the world was much larger, not as accessible.
But if Guru Nanaks word was pure and true, why dont his followers today spread it and share with the Jews and Christians.
Why are sikhs so conservative when it comes to converting others. Christian's didn't have a problem, they set out crusades to convert all the corners of the world. Im not saying all sikhs need to pick up a thalwar and force your neighbor, but the sikh people never expanded and stayed secluded
And dont compare with the educating the public of who sikhs are as the same thing. Thats only awareness so sikhs dont get mistakenly killed.
There's a reason why Sikhs barely make up 1% of the worlds population. We're fine in our homes n gurdwaras, and are ok when others convert to Sikhi but have a hard time when youths cut their hair or marry outside the "caste", or even convert to other religions.
Message was all to be one, but that had terribly failed

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

not quite, Sikhi as a concept is alive and well and flourishing, Sikhism as a religion is just a combination of agenda, tradition, rituals and Punjabi culture.

During his time, Nanak travelled and shared his vision, thoughts. And some left behind Hinduism or Islam and became his followers (Sikhs). And you can argue the rest of the world didnt get his message because the world was much larger, not as accessible.

Guru Nanak did not share his vision, he did not have a monopoly or ownership of the truth, he simply advocated true living, The truth belongs to Guru Nanak as much as gravity belongs to Newton.

But if Guru Nanaks word was pure and true, why dont his followers today spread it and share with the Jews and Christians.

don't make me laugh, his 'followers' struggle to understand the basic message themselves, how are they going to share it?

Why are sikhs so conservative when it comes to converting others.
because most have not got a clue about what Sikhism is about other than the 5K's, the sakhis, and whatever they learned from tradition and family.

here's a reason why Sikhs barely make up 1% of the worlds population. We're fine in our homes n gurdwaras, and are ok when others convert to Sikhi but have a hard time when youths cut their hair or marry outside the "caste", or even convert to other religions.
yeah we are fine in our homes and gurudwaras, stressing over what temperature and what dressings we should have in our holy room, and ensuring we pray every full moon, doing multiple ardaases so that Minty passes his driving test and Bunty finds a husband, maybe we should address these issues first before going on a crusade.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
yeah we are fine in our homes and gurudwaras, stressing over what temperature and what dressings we should have in our holy room, and ensuring we pray every full moon, doing multiple ardaases so that Minty passes his driving test and Bunty finds a husband, maybe we should address these issues first before going on a crusade

I had no idea Bunty had come out. I do hope he finds a good husband.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Why are sikhs so conservative when it comes to converting others. Christian's didn't have a problem, they set out crusades to convert all the corners of the world. Im not saying all sikhs need to pick up a thalwar and force your neighbor, but the sikh people never expanded and stayed secluded
And dont compare with the educating the public of who sikhs are as the same thing. Thats only awareness so sikhs dont get mistakenly killed.
There's a reason why Sikhs barely make up 1% of the worlds population. We're fine in our homes n gurdwaras, and are ok when others convert to Sikhi but have a hard time when youths cut their hair or marry outside the "caste", or even convert to other religions.
Message was all to be one, but that had terribly failed

Guru Nanak never said Sikh is a religion. Sikh means student. We're students of the Truth.

So misguided Humans with a lack of understanding made it a sect. But Truth= God and He cannot be confined.

The Truth existed for ages upon ages before Guru Nanaks arrival on earth. He tells us this in Mool Mantar. It's been taught to different extents by different teachers but had become corrupted along the way, again by misguided man.

Teachings have been added in Guru Granth Sahib Ji from teachers from before and who had been identified with different religions. Showing that there is no religion, there's only Truth- only IK- One.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
In reference to an earlier part of this discussion, a statement by the Sufi saint Rumi might be appropriate.

"The religion of love is apart from all religions. The lovers of God have no religion but God alone."

From The Shepherd's Prayer in Diwane Tabreez by Rumi

Note: the first sentence is usually omitted, but I think it adds a great deal to the thought.

~

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

This is not to win for argument, there are elder members, who have wisdom of thoughts, righteous approach.
Gurubani is the check. our Guide and Mentor.

Due apology for any mis statements.

This is not just for arguement but implementation of approach for next generation. To contribute for cause.
To give equal importance to value base education as formal education.

To have right approach in our belief system,

Hope it is concluded and this is with no contradictions.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Guru Nanak never said Sikh is a religion. Sikh means student. We're students of the Truth.

So misguided Humans with a lack of understanding made it a sect. But Truth= God and He cannot be confined.

The Truth existed for ages upon ages before Guru Nanaks arrival on earth. He tells us this in Mool Mantar. It's been taught to different extents by different teachers but had become corrupted along the way, again by misguided man.

Teachings have been added in Guru Granth Sahib Ji from teachers from before and who had been identified with different religions. Showing that there is no religion, there's only Truth- only IK- One.

Well said!

I have been fortunate enough to say a couple of things for decades when I came to the realization about the true message of Gurbani.

Sikhi is not a religion as the religions are defined/described by other religions.

Sikhi has no God as gods are defined/described by the religions.
Ik Ong Kaar is not a deity like most religions require it to be.

Sikhi has no worshipping because worshipping needs mechanical rituals that Sikhi rejects.

I had been scoffed at my thoughts then but now it is heartwarming to notice that the many young Kathavaachaks and entities like Sikhri are expressing Sikhi in the same way.

Lastly, if Guru Nanak had declared during the Mughal invasion that he had had the revelation from god and the revelation has nothing to do with what these Hindus and Muslims are talking about god, he would have been beheaded by the invaders.

Sikhi is an idea based not a deity based. This is the reason the poetry of The Bhagats like Naamdev and Trilochan who were born 200 years before Guru Nanak is added because their ideas, thought processes jived with the Sikhi idea.

And one more thing.

“So misguided Humans with a lack of understanding made it a sect.”

I have no idea where that came from. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on it?
Thanks

Last edited:

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Sat Sri Akaal,

This is not to win for argument, there are elder members, who have wisdom of thoughts, righteous approach.
Gurubani is the check. our Guide and Mentor.

Due apology for any mis statements.

This is not just for arguement but implementation of approach for next generation. To contribute for cause.
To give equal importance to value base education as formal education.

To have right approach in our belief system,

Hope it is concluded and this is with no contradictions.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

@ravneet_sb ji, your presence and contributions are much appreciated at SPN! We can only learn and evolve from each other's perspectives! :mundahug:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Well said!

I have been fortunate enough to say a couple of things for decades when I came to the realization about the true message of Gurbani.

Sikhi is not a religion as the religions are defined/described by other religions.

Sikhi has no God as gods are defined/described by the religions.
Ik Ong Kaar is not a deity like most religions require it to be.

Sikhi has no worshipping because worshipping needs mechanical rituals that Sikhi rejects.

I had been scoffed at my thoughts then but now it is heartwarming to notice that the many young Kathavaachaks and entities like Sikhri are expressing Sikhi in the same way.

Lastly, if Guru Nanak had declared during the Mughal invasion that he had had the revelation from god and the revelation has nothing to do with what these Hindus and Muslims are talking about god, he would have been beheaded by the invaders.

Sikhi is an idea based not a deity based. This is the reason the poetry of The Bhagats like Naamdev and Trilochan who were born 200 years before Guru Nanak is added because their ideas, thought processes jived with the Sikhi idea.

And one more thing.

“So misguided Humans with a lack of understanding made it a sect.”

I have no idea where that came from. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on it?
Thanks

No, there is God.

God realised himself to be Truth. Guru Nanak realised himself to be Truth. They're teaching us to realise our state also- Truth.

God made this khel for us out of true love to discover what He did. But He is Truth. As we all are.

We are One. All is God is Truth.

The love the Gurus speak of in Gurbani, the one they describe as being the only way to discovering ourselves, is for Him, in everything, in every action.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
No, there is God.

Well, you are contradicting yourself again as you usually do.

As there is no religion called Sikhi, as a result, there is no god either because a religion and god are like the Siamese twins.

God realised himself to be Truth. Guru Nanak realised himself to be Truth. They're teaching us to realise our state also- Truth.

I am a bit confused now. Are you implying Guru Nanak is God for you? You above contradictory post claims that.

God made this khel for us out of true love to discover what He did. But He is Truth. As we all are.

Please use SGGS, our only Guru to prove your claim. And are you also implying that we are all gods? "But He is Truth. As we all are."
Your posts get more confusing with each one. Please clarify.

We are One. All is God is Truth.

Pardon my ignorance, I have no idea what you are talking about. Would you be kind enough to put it in layman's terms for a person like me? Thanks.

The love the Gurus speak of in Gurbani, the one they describe as being the only way to discovering ourselves, is for Him, in everything, in every action.

I am sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. Please simplify this for me if you could. Thanks, again.

Lastly, I am still waiting for the references from the SGGS about your claim that Guru Nanak said, " There is no Hindu, no Musulman."
Would appreciate if you could provide that.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018

I don't see what the arguement is. All I said was guru nanaks idea was we all should be one. Yet it failed anyways and became what he was against.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM