• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Sikh From Pakistan Refused Entry At Golden Temple

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
April 27, 2011

Sikh from Pakistan refused entry at Golden Temple

April 27, 2011 10:48:35 PM

JAGMOHAN SINGH | AMRITSAR

A Sikh devotee from Pakistan was not allowed to enter the sanctum sanctorum of the Golden Temple here by members of the task force of the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee on Monday night.

Tarun Singh, who is a resident of a village near Peshawar and speaks only the Pashto language, had come to the country for the purpose of paying obeisance to the Guru Granth Sahib.

However, when the matter was brought to the notice of SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar, he took a serious note of it and made special sitting arrangements inside the sanctum sanctorum for Singh. Makkar also expressed regret to him over the incident.

Commenting on the incident Makkar said that it was a matter of misunderstanding and the issue has now been resolved. "The visitor is satisfied and is not carrying any grudges," he said.

According to an SGPC office member, Tarun, being a resident of Peshawar, did not speak any other language which led to a misunderstanding between him and task force members.

source: http://www.dailypioneer.com/334644/Sikh-from-Pakistan-refused-entry-at-Golden-Temple.html

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Hmmnn...what does this mean exactly? if you don't speak Punjabi then your intentions will be questioned?? This appears to contradict the information on the SGPC website regarding access to the Golden Temple:

"Guru Arjan Sahib got it built on the lower level and unlike Hindu Temples having only one gate for the entrance and exit, Guru Sahib got it open from four sides. Thus he created a symbol of new faith, Sikhism. Guru Sahib made it accessible to every person without any distinction of Caste, creed, sex and religion. "

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I must be missing something here. If you are not a Punjabi speaker you need to make special arrangements? I mean, I know I haven't been there since 1984, but how could our gurudwara have become so unwelcoming.

Of course, unless you happen to be the Queen of England something.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It could be that someone took seva to the extreme. That can happened. Someone loses control. There is not very much information ... for example, what "task force" is the article referring to?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I just checked about 8 other links to the story. What Soul_jyot ji posted is about all there is on the net. There must be background to the task force thing but i can't find it.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
It could be that someone took seva to the extreme. That can happened. Someone loses control. There is not very much information ... for example, what "task force" is the article referring to?

I am guessing it is some sort of internal police force along simiilar lines to the Vatican perhaps......but I am searching too and came across this report which is a bit disturbing and refers to the actions of this task force:
http://www2.panthic.org/articles/5341/

The task force bit is about 2/3 of the way down the page

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
This is really bad...

I have Googled the exact phrase "SGPC Task Force" and a lot of hits have been returned and each one has described them in a negative way and criticised them for their physical approach

I still cannot find anything about the origins of such a group but the articles go back a few years....surely someone must know something about them?

Not good...........

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Seeker9 ji

YOU ARE RIGHT! I just did the same. Even involved in roughing up farmers. Thanks for doing the research. It remains a mystery and someone in India who has been keeping track of this might have information of how it all started and exactly what it does.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I remember one incident vaguely in which some mentally disabled person tried to sit on the Asthaan for Guru Granth Sahib where the task force came in (or was it due to that incident they were formed?). It makes no sense for them to pick on a single helpless person conversing in Pashtun.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Task Force is a Makarr initiative....formed when the present SGPC realised that their decisions are not getting the ... joyous jaikaras of approval type of reception they.... want from the sangat. ( popular decisons used to get that )

At first it was promoted as giving jobs to "the ankhee/Dharmee faujis" a large group of Sikh deserters form the Indian Army who lost emotional control and deserted/revolted when news of Bluestar hit the fan...and they have been destitute since losing their jobs, pensions.....BUT when Makarr and Company discovered that these "deserters" were indeed destitute and down and OUT.......BUT NOT THAT LOW OUT that they owuld sell their souls to badal's evil designs..their recruitment was quietly blocked and badal loyals were recruited from the ranks of goons - whose idea of sewa is shove old men around...and make sure every one knows whos the boss. Then the incidents like the alleged RSS and also insane man who jumped in over the low fencing around the SGGS in darbar sahib and sat down on the Manji sahib (early morning BEFORE the SGGS was parkashed there)..furter strengthend the calls for the task force to be made bigger..and it was !! From time to time "security" issues..so called bomb threats etc have been raised as well.
This Task Force is deployed - to "keep the peace"...when people like Mann turn up at Akal takhat..also when Prof darshan Singh Ragi turned up at the Akal Takhat with a large group. Members can be seen standing around in yellow cholas...throwing their weigtht around esp at lone visitors..this pusto speaking man must have riled up one of them..( they rile easily )...and then made it worse by not "jumping high enough" when they said JUMP !! due to him not understanding punjabi even though he looked like a punjabi sikh..making the task force even angrier i suppose..due to their extra low threshold of tolerance towards disobedience of their orders barked at you.:interestedkudi::interestedkudi::interestedkudi:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

You hit the nail on the head.

Pakistani Sikh misbehaved inside the Golden Temple

Jagmohan Singh
Thursday, 28 April 2011

AMRITSAR: Pakistani national Sikh devotee Traun Singh was misbehaved inside the sanctum Sanctorum of Harmandhar Sahib ( Golden Temple) by the member of Task Force OF SGPC when he was not allowed to sit in the sanctum Sanctorum.

Incident occurred last night, when Pakistani Sikh devotee resident of Peshawar province who had come to India with the sole motive to pay obeisance in the Golden Temple which was once defeated. However, later on when the matter was brought in the notice of SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar who took serious note, made special sitting arrangement inside the sanctum Sanctorum for Tarun Singh. Makkar also expressed regret to Tarun for the incident.

Commenting on the incident Makkar said that it was a matter of misunderstanding but issue has been resolved and now Pakistani Sikh national was happy and carrying no more grudge against anyone.

According to official of SGPC, Tarun being a resident of Peshawar province of Pakistani only knew Pashto language and was not aware of any other language which created scene between Tarun Singh and member of Task Force of SGPC.

http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/pakistani-sikh-misbehaved-inside-golden-temple/30689

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: