• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK Sikh Father 'Strangled' His Daughter Over Her Loud Music And White Soldier Boyfriend

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
A 'domineering' father with a 'nasty temper' allegedly murdered his daughter during an argument about her playing music too loud, a court heard today.

Gurmeet Singh Ubhi, 54, strangled his 24-year-old daughter Amrit at the family home in Telford, Shropshire, when he was woken up after he finished working a night shift, Leicester Crown Court was told.

Rachel Brand, prosecuting, said that Ubih, a practising Sikh, got into a struggle with his daughter in the conservatory of the family home in Leegomery last September after he tried to use the remote control to turn down the music.

Amrit Ubhi: Her fatrher is charged with murdering her because music on the TV was too loud and had woken him up

She said he told police his daughter attacked him and in the ensuing struggle he suddenly found his hands around her neck.

Miss Brand told the jury of eight women and four men that Ubhi, who denies murdering his daughter, had a problematic relationship with Amrit, his son Harmeet and his wife Satinder after a period of estrangement.
The couple parted in 1997 when the children were young and Ubhi went on to re-marry, Miss Brand said.

But his second marriage broke down, she added, because he was sent to prison after attacking his second wife with a chisel.

She said: 'It shows very clearly that this man is a man who is capable of losing his temper in a very drastic fashion in the context of a domestic argument.'

The court heard that Ubhi reconciled with his first wife Satinder and the rest of the family when they paid him frequent visits in prison and upon his release he moved back into the family home.

Gurmeet Singh Ubhi got into a struggle with his daughter after he tried to use the TV's remote control. Miss Brand also told the court that Ubhi did not approve of his daughter's boyfriend.

'The relationship between her (Amrit) and her father was not good,' she said.

'He also did not like the fact that she had a white English boyfriend who she had been seeing for a number of years - a serving soldier called Stuart Loakes.'

Miss Brand said Ubhi was not happy when he moved back into the family home and found the children had grown-up and had more freedom than he approved of.

She said using the term 'Westernised' to describe how Ubhi felt about his children would not be appropriate and added: 'In this case it has to do with an old-fashioned father who thought his children should do what he thought. It is not really a cultural thing.'

Miss Brand said: 'From the very start it appears that this defendant was a domineering husband who wanted to control every aspect of the lives of his wife and, in due course, the lives of his children.'

She said Ubhi told police that on the day of his daughter's death he had returned home from his night shift at Sainsbury's and after sleeping for a couple of hours was woken up.

He went downstairs and found Amrit in the conservatory watching television with loud music. She said Ubhi told police he tried to turn it down and she attacked him.

'She came at him, biting and scratching. He said his hands somehow came to her neck,' she said.

'Eventually, he said, she was on the floor with his hands around her neck and her head suddenly fell to the side. He said he was shocked because he had not used much force.'

Immediately after the fight, Ubhi rang friends, family members and his brother to essentially say 'goodbye and god bless you', Miss Brand said.
He then got in his car and drove to a police station in Wellington where he told police about the argument and that they would find his daughter in the house.

She added: 'This is a case of a man with a very nasty temper who lashes out in arguments. Nothing at all to do with self-defence.

'The injuries he received were entirely in keeping with his daughter, Amrit, fighting for her life.

'She bit him and she scratched him. Even if she pulled some of his beard hairs out it must have been clear it was because she was struggling hard.'
The trial continues

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ic-white-soldier-boyfriend.html#ixzz1DOZaW5ej

Attachments

• amrit ughi.jpg
    amrit ughi.jpg
    17.9 KB · Reads: 312
  • Gurmeet Singh Ubhi.jpg
    Gurmeet Singh Ubhi.jpg
    7.1 KB · Reads: 338

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
So sad and sorry situation.

However there is no answer for any madness. Fathers killing sons, daughters and wives and many such murders within siblings and families.

The following son (incredible singer Marvin Gaye) was murdered by his father,

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kirbster327/marvin_gaye.jpg

Marvin Gaye
"There are still times I feel unhappy and I must smile, and there are times I want to cry and I must laugh... people rarely see the real Marvin Gaye."

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/g/Marvin%20Gaye/marvin_gaye.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y9KC7uhMY9s

YouTube - MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL "Ain't no Mountain High Enough"

Sat Sri Akal.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
In the court case they are saying that Mr Ubhi face was scratched and hi beard and hair pulled. Now would they understand in the West that it is one of the biggest shames for a Sikh to have his beard and hair pulled by a sibling?

I think killing her was wrong, but if it turns out she attacked him as well like this, then that is wrong too.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip Singh ji

I am in the West. So are you. Help me understand this

Now would they understand in the West that it is one of the biggest shames for a Sikh to have his beard and hair pulled by a sibling?

It was his daughter not sibling who pulled his hair, just for clarification.

This is what Mr Gurpreet Singh stated in a police report

He said his hands somehow came to her neck,' she said. ("She" is Brand the prosecutor speaking to the jury)

And also
Eventually, he said, she was on the floor with his hands around her neck and her head suddenly fell to the side. He said he was shocked because he had not used much force.'

Then Miss Brand the prosecutor concluded
'The injuries he received were entirely in keeping with his daughter, Amrit, fighting for her life.

Did she scratch him and pull his hair because she was angry at him for turning off the TV? Or did she scratch him and pull his hair because he was strangling her?

If she was defending herself, fighting for her life, does that shine a different light on the fact that she pulled his hair?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
In my humble opinion this has nothing to do with Sikhism or Philosophy and the thread should be locked.

Spnadmin ji very wise comment,

"Did she scratch him and pull his hair because she was angry at him for turning off the TV? Or did she scratch him and pull his hair because he was strangling her?

If she was defending herself, fighting for her life, does that shine a different light on the fact that she pulled his hair?"

One should not talk behind people's back let alone a dead person. Just my belief.

It is just sad all around.

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
11 February 2011 Last updated at 09:25 ET

Telford man guilty of daughter's murder

A Telford man has been found guilty of the murder of his daughter.

Gurmeet Singh Ubhi, of Berberis Road, Leegomery, had denied killing Amrit, 24, at the family home last September.

During the trail at Leicester Crown Court the jury heard evidence that Ubhi, 54, a Sikh man, could not accept his daughter's western lifestyle.

On Friday he was sentenced to life imprisonment and told he must serve a minimum term of 15 years before he is eligible for release.

Earlier in the trial it emerged he had told police he had applied "minimal pressure" to her neck.

The jury heard a physical argument developed as Ubhi demanded his daughter turn down her music. He was also unhappy about her relationship with a non-Sikh.

Acting Det Insp Billy Scott, who is based in CID at Malinsgate Police Station, has expressed his satisfaction at the result.
No remorse

He said: "We are very pleased with today's verdict as at no point during his time in police custody did Mr Ubhi show any remorse for what he had done.

"On the day in question he ended his daughter's life with his own hands and then calmly tidied the scene before contacting the police.

"His actions have caused heartbreak to his family and I hope that today's guilty verdict does at least offer them some small consolation.

"Amrit was a much loved daughter, sister and girlfriend and her family and friends remain devastated by her loss."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-12431942

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A question came up as to whether Mr. Gurmeet Singh plead guilty. I did not know and did some searching. The answer is he did not plead guilty. This article is background to his plea of self-defense. The jury had to decide whether he was defending himself.

Telford father tells court, ‘I didn’t mean to kill my daughter’

Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:41PM GMT.

A Shropshire father broke down in tears as he told a murder trial he did not mean to kill his daughter in a fight at the family home.

Gurmeet Singh Ubhi told Leicester Crown Court he had used “minimum” force during a scuffle with 24-year-old Amrit Kaur Ubhi.

The 54-year-old is accused of murdering his daughter at their home on Berberis Road, Leegomery, Telford, on September 7 last year. He denies the charge.

Post mortem results showed she died from strangulation. Prosecutors yesterday asked Ubhi how much force he had used on a scale of one to 10 – with 10 being the highest.

Ubhi told jurors he used a level of 2.5 which was in self-defence.

During cross-examination, Miss Rachel Brand, prosecuting, accused Ubhi of being unable to explain extensive bruising to Miss Ubhi’s head and neck.

Miss Brand told Ubhi his hands must have moved down from his daughter’s head to her neck and he must have applied more pressure than he claims.

Ubhi, speaking through an interpreter, said: “It was the minimum, to restrain her from falling and hurting herself. She attacked me and I was trying to protect myself.”

Read more: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2011/02/09/135224/#ixzz1Dh4QJLTc

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM