• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Convert With Born Sikh

May 28, 2013
Sat Sri Akaal

I come in peace, just looking for a quick advice.
3-4 Generations ago my ancestors were Sikh but from then, there was a conversion and I was born Muslim in a practicing muslim family. Our last name is still Bhangu and the family is Jatt Punjabi.
Growing up and not believing in the religion myself I drifted away and it brings peace to my heart saying I got to embrace Sikhism in the last year.

Started going to the Gurdwara, and with all that I even stopped eating meat. I haven't taken the amrit yet, but I know a lot of gurbani and I always recite the Mul Manter in my head.

My question is, I am in a relationship with a born Sikh girl and I was wondering what implications would there be if any? Because culturally Sikh - Muslim marriages don't get accepted often, however I strongly feel our situation is different.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I am scratching my head looking for the issue, it is religion that causes a problem with Muslim Sikh marriages not culture, if anything Sikhs and Muslims share practically the same culture, same language.

You are a Sikh, she is a Sikh, get married, have a steak, get on with your lives, be happy

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Sat Sri Akaal

I come in peace, just looking for a quick advice.
3-4 Generations ago my ancestors were Sikh but from then, there was a conversion and I was born Muslim in a practicing muslim family. Our last name is still Bhangu and the family is Jatt Punjabi.
Growing up and not believing in the religion myself I drifted away and it brings peace to my heart saying I got to embrace Sikhism in the last year.

Started going to the Gurdwara, and with all that I even stopped eating meat. I haven't taken the amrit yet, but I know a lot of gurbani and I always recite the Mul Manter in my head.

My question is, I am in a relationship with a born Sikh girl and I was wondering what implications would there be if any? Because culturally Sikh - Muslim marriages don't get accepted often, however I strongly feel our situation is different.

If you're a Sikh and so is sh then no problem. If you're a Muslim and she is a Sikh then from my experience you'll have a massive problem. I've seen violence erupt from relationships like this. Even death, so tread very carefully.

Don't just change your religion for her sake...do it because you want to. If that is the case, take Amrit and take it from there.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
If you're a Sikh and so is sh then no problem. If you're a Muslim and she is a Sikh then from my experience you'll have a massive problem. I've seen violence erupt from relationships like this. Even death, so tread very carefully.

Don't just change your religion for her sake...do it because you want to. If that is the case, take Amrit and take it from there.

Take the advice of Randip Singh ji very seriously. He will never get sentimental about things like this. He will never use scare tactics. He has no agenda. He is saying... think this through one step at a time, be sensible, use some logic, and go slow.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
This is a side issue, but I think it needs to be said. No one is born a Sikh. Being a Sikh involves believing certain things. No one is born with these beliefs; they are taught and learned. Being born into a Sikh family gives a person the advantage of being brought up with the Sikh teachings. Coming to Sikhi from another background might well give one a deeper appreciation of Sikhi. There advantages and disadvantages both ways.

As I said, this is not the main issue, but the name of this thread demands, to me, that this be said.

My best wishes to you both. Let me echo what Randip Singh ji said. Be careful and remember that truthful living is higher even than truth itself. My love and prayers to you both.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: