• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Coalition Sikh Coalition Internship Update: Summer/12 Month Vista Positions In NYC

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Service to Country, Service to Sikhs

Year-Long and Summer Positions Available

Learn more about VISTA

12-Month AmeriCorps VISTA Positions

The Americorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program is a national service organization that places individuals with non-profit organizations to mobilize community resources and strengthen the capacity of the community. It is a full-time, year-long program for men and women age 18 and older. The Sikh Coalition is seeking two qualified candidates for positions in Communications and Development.

Qualifications include:

Proactive "self-starter" who can develop and implement projects without supervision

Undergraduate degree or equivalent professional experience

Experience or career oriented to development, communications, marketing desirable

A commitment to service with passion, compassion and idealism

Click here to read more about your opportunity to join the Sikh Coalition as an AmeriCorps VISTA.

The Sikh Coalition is proud to invite applications for its Community Organizing program, based in New York City, for the summer of 2010.

Community Organizing, New York City

From its campaign to stop bullying in NYC schools to its involvement and participation in city, state and national campaigns, the Sikh Coalition is rapidly emerging as a leading voice in the post-9/11 civil rights movement. With eleven (11) full-time staff members, and access to an extensive network of partner organizations nationwide, the Sikh Coalition offers its interns opportunities to draw on the experience of seasoned organizers and thought leaders.

What We Are Looking For

Applicants from all academic backgrounds are encouraged to apply but must have interest in working with communities and vulnerable populations. Applicants should have demonstrably excellent research, writing, and public speaking skills; a good sense of humor; fluency in Punjabi; and a commitment to working full-time (40 hours a week) for ten weeks on research and direct outreach to community members and partner organizations.

Application Requirements

The Sikh Coalition's Community Organizer will receive a stipend of at least $500 and will be selected through a competitive process. The application deadline is May 21, 2010. Please submit a cover letter and resume, along with names and contact information of three references to internship@sikhcoalition.org.

Click here to learn more.

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/InternshipProgram.asp

Don't wait to become a part of history. Work for the betterment of the Sikh community today!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Roop Kaur ji

If you can travel to the US and stay for a summer session or a year-long session, you might want to consider this. It looks very interesting.

Roop Kaur

SPNer
Mar 4, 2010
I would really love to consider it Narayanjot Ji, however I don't think it would go down well with my parents ... particularly given that I am so so close to finishing my University degree! Woohoo!

Hopefully we can start a similar organisation in Australia!

:happykudi:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I would really love to consider it Narayanjot Ji, however I don't think it would go down well with my parents ... particularly given that I am so so close to finishing my University degree! Woohoo!

Hopefully we can start a similar organisation in Australia!

:happykudi:

I was thinking just that same thought. It is hard to pick up and travel around the world under the best of circumstances. So the next best thing would be to have a similar advocacy group in Australia. Why not write to them and find out how they started, whether they have ties in Australia, names or individuals who are looking to begin Sikh Coalition Australia, and see where that leads you. For all we know Sikh Coalition might know of a group, something could already be in the infant stages right now.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM