• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Sidak - Sikhi 101 - Gurmukhi 101

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Sikh Research Institute in San Antonio Texas US sponsors year-long programs as both its seva and educational mission to those seeking a deeper understanding of Sikhism, its history, beliefs, values and importantly the promotion of the study of Gurmukhi, our sacred language.

An exciting opportunity is open for registration now with the following schedule of events. I will be posting updates on the SPN calendar as they arise. For now please take advantage of the following information.

Sidak Faith. Courage. Discipline.

Sidak 2009 Registration Form - MS Word (188 kb) (My note: you have to save this to your desktop and then open it in Word)

The Sikh Research Institute offers Sidak, a distinctive learning program for young adults (and old adults are also welcome: added by Narayanjot Kaur (previously aad0002)) seeking to increase their commitment towards the Sikh faith. This intensive two-week educational experience is a unique program consisting of instructional seminars on various facets of bānī (scripture), tvārīkh (history), and rahit (discipline). Sessions on leadership development and community building also serve as key foundations for Sidak.

This unique learning opportunity will help individuals discover the inner-self, build stronger relationships, and infuse the Sikh spirit. The daily schedule includes mandatory participation in morning and evening Divāns. All morning Divāns include the recitation of Āsā kī Vār, and evening Divāns consist of Rahirās Sāhib. The daily schedule centers around classroom instruction, intensive reading, group discussions, and work sessions. Of course, ample time will be provided for relaxation and fun. Each instructional session will be tailored to meet the needs of all participants.

To ensure an event of the highest caliber, the Sikh Research Institute has secured several teachers for the Sidak program who are regarded as experts within their respective professional fields. Visiting teachers will impart instruction in subjects such as human rights in South Asia, classical Sikh musicology, and contemporary issues concerning Sikhs in the homeland and Diaspora.

Three separate programs are offered simultaneously: one for first time participants, one for returning students, and a language program that is open for all students and adults. Sikhi 101 study an overview of Sikh history and theology through structured learning, while Sikhi 201 students delve deeper into the same subjects through a more rigorous exploration. The Language Program will focus solely on the composition, structure, and language of the Gurū Granth Sāhib.

Sikhī 101 - introductory overview of Sikh history and theology
• Gurū Granth Sāhib
• Gurū Khālsā Panth
• Bhāī Gurdās & Bhāī Nand Lāl
• Āsā kī Vār
• Contemporary History

Sikhī 201 - a more rigorous exploration of Sikh Culture
• Sikh Rahit Maryādā
• Sikh Traditions & Ideology
• Interpreters of Sikh Thought
• Sikh Homeland & the Sikh Diaspora
• Sikh Ideology, Sovereignty & 1984
• Academic Debates

Gurmukhī 101 - focuses on tools required to study the Gurū Granth Sāhib
Gurmukhī Pronunciation
• Vocabulary & Grammatical Patterns
• Writing, Comprehension & Language Systems
• Inscribed Elegance of Gurbānī
• Secondary Texts such as Gurbilās, Janamsākhīs, & Prakāsh

This year Sidak is being held on 28 June – 11 July.
For more information on attending, please contact us at: sidak@sikhri.org

View the promotional video

YouTube - Sidak Promo 2008
(only the July schedule is mentioned on this video, but there appear to be overlap from June 28 through July 11 by the printed calendar)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
josh martin

I have missed it 2 years in a row now. But mostly younger (teens and 20's) attend and I would be out of place no doubt. Don't know about you. However, the SPN calendar also has the schedule of web seminars usually. I don't know about this month. Go to their web site and you will see their calendar of events.

P/S Some in the panth have huge difficulty with the SikhRI point of view. I do not.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: