• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Should I Bring The Guru Granth Into My Home?

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
I have found some english translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, for about $80.00 on the internet, which is great because that means I will have more access to the Guru and won't have to starve myself by relying only on the internet. My problem is that I'm unsure I'd be able to give the Guru the proper respect deserved. Aren't we supposed to bow in the presence of the Guru? That shouldn't pose too much of a problem aside for the severe criticisms I'll face from my family. I will probably keep Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji wrapped in a clean cloth on a safe shelf in my bedroom, would this be acceptable? What about when I walk into my room to get something, do I have to bow even though Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is wrapped up on my shelf? My parents refuse to let me tie a turban, so do I have to cover my head even if Sri Guru Granth Sahib is wrapped up on my shelf or do I only cover my head when I am reading? I want to be as devout a Sikh as I can possibly be, nothing makes me happier. Even if that means waiting a few more years before having the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in my house.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Does anyone even know if this is a good translation?
Sri Guru Granth Sahib (English Translation in 4 Volumes)
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Author: Gurbachan Singh Talib
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Publisher: Punjabi University, Patiala
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Language: English
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][SIZE=-1]Binding: Hardbound
SikhLink.net
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
I have found some english translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, for about $80.00 on the internet, which is great because that means I will have more access to the Guru and won't have to starve myself by relying only on the internet. My problem is that I'm unsure I'd be able to give the Guru the proper respect deserved. Aren't we supposed to bow in the presence of the Guru? That shouldn't pose too much of a problem aside for the severe criticisms I'll face from my family. I will probably keep Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji wrapped in a clean cloth on a safe shelf in my bedroom, would this be acceptable? What about when I walk into my room to get something, do I have to bow even though Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is wrapped up on my shelf? My parents refuse to let me tie a turban, so do I have to cover my head even if Sri Guru Granth Sahib is wrapped up on my shelf or do I only cover my head when I am reading? I want to be as devout a Sikh as I can possibly be, nothing makes me happier. Even if that means waiting a few more years before having the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in my house.
Those are some good questions. Want to know these myself.
Some of things will come about naturally for you as you develop more and more love for the Guruji. It is good to know some of the basic "rules" first though.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Thank you. It has been my experiance that sometimes the most basic information is the hardest to find out.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Satyadi jj and Jaspreet ji

This is from the Rehat Maryada:

[SIZE=-1]
Article VIII

a. Every Sikh should, as far as possible, maintain a separate and exclusive place for the installation of Guru Granth Sahib, in his home.[/SIZE]

The question asked by Satyadi ji contains two separate questions. First of all the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj is not "a book." There are specific principles and expectations surrounding keeping the Guru at home. And people violate the sanctity of the Guru all the time. I cannot remember what all the rules (rules is a bad word) are. When I find that information I will post it.

Read this article to get an idea of how loose things can get. And you will get an idea of how serious one needs to be about preserving the sanctity of the Guru.

Panthic Weekly: Respect for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj

The second point to make is this. A translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib is not Sri Guru Granth Sahib. The Guru is written in Gurmukhi only. So it is OK to keep translations at home -- but of course these must also be treated with respect.

The Gurbachan Talib Singh translation is one of the few translationsi n English that has the official approval of the SGPC. However, it does not pair English translations with the original Gurmukhi. I have a copy of it myself. Far be it from me to enter into the debate as to whether it is a good translation. My point is that it is not Sri Guru Granth Sahib, so don't worry about having it at home as a resource for study and learning.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
SIKHIS/GURMATT is NOT a "Beleif System"....ITS a PATH...a JOURNEY....
Other religions have man made rules..and a "destination" with theirs being the ONLY WAY to that particulat destination....NOT SIKHI...

2. I have the Talib translation...a poor attempt at rendering Gurbani ( POETRY) into English (poems) ..as a POETRY in another langauage is very very difficult to render as poetry ina different language - even translating poetry into prose is already difficult..so how much more when one tries to RHYME and REASON from Original (Gurmukhi) into English !! MY preference is the MANMOHAN SINGH Translation of 8 Volumes - it has the Original Gurbani in Gurmukhi/English transliterated and Translated..all ON ONE PAGE (in columns). For the solely Punjabi version.PROF SAHIB SINGH beats all. Prof Harbans Singh, Bhai Vir Singh also in Punjabi..FARIDKOTEE TEEKA in Gurmukhi..sanatani sikhi viewpoint..and SANT SINGH KHALSA Western Viewpoint in ENGLISH.

3. The TRUE GURU..is SGGS (in Gurmukhi Script) bound hardcover in ONE VOLUME...BUT then again to some Sikhs (especially the Panthic weekly , AKJ and some others..the TRUE GURU is SGGS in UNBROKEN JOINTED SCRIPT - no breaks !!)
BUT YES in ALL cases the due respect MUST be accorded to teh ONE VOLUME SGGS in GURMUKHI SCRIPT - that is Maryada.
4. Please treat ALL GURBANI as SACRED.
5. ALL TRUTH IS ABSOLUTE..YET there is no such thing as the ABSOLUTE TRUTH...AAD SACH..JUGAAD SACH..NAANAK HOSEE BHEE SACH MEANS THAT.
GYANI JARNAIL SINGH

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Thank you, for your response. That article was very interesting, and I think that answers my first question. It would without question be inappropriate for me to bring Sri Guru Granth Sahib in Gurmukhi into my home at this time in my life, but I'm still unconvinced about english translations. One day though, when I move out of my parents home I will install Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in my home according to the Rehat Maryada.

I always believed that it did not matter what translation or language Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji was in, if we must only recognize Gurmukhi only wouldn't that mean only those who are fluent in Punjabi could read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji? What about all the people who say that someone would need to know like seven differant languages in order to fully read and understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji? Does Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji say that it must be in Gurmukhi? Please do not think I'm trying to dispute you, but can you prove that Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji must be in Gurmukhi?

So what would constitute appropriate respect for and english translation or Gutkas? Would I still have to cover my kesh or bow?

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Well, I'm not too concerned with how well various english translations sound poetically, I just want to find an inexpensive english translation so I can study Gurbani on a regular basis.

This may seem like an odd question considering I've been a Sikh for a few years now, but how exactly does a Sikh understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji if it is in so many languages?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Satyadi ji

Sri Guru Granth Sahib must be in Gurmukhi according to the rehat. That is one issue.

The other issue is whether translations are helpful. Translaitons are not Sri Guru Granth Sahib, but they are helpful and you should make use of them according to your needs. Gyani is saying that some translations are better than others. But they are needed for someone who cannot read Gurmukhi.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Well, ok, then, thank you. I guess if the rehat say it then it is futile to disagree:)
I guess I shall go ahead and look into purchasing an english translation as well. Does anyone know of any good websites that sell english translations?
This is a bit off topic, but are there any books which give a detailed account of how the rehat was created? What I mean is the rehat wasn't created until after Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji became our eternal Guru, and so it was compiled by many Sikh scholars, but it is sometimes very difficult to find out where a particular rehat came from, it takes forever to search through Gurbani looking for something that backs up a particular rehat, or searching the internet for historical documents. It would just be nice to have a book that explains how each part was formed.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ
गउड़ी महला ५ ॥
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 5.
Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਸੋਈ ਸੂਰਾ
जो इसु मारे सोई सूरा ॥
Jo is māre so▫ī sūrā.
One who kills this is a spiritual hero.

ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਸੋਈ ਪੂਰਾ
जो इसु मारे सोई पूरा ॥
Jo is māre so▫ī pūrā.
One who kills this is perfect.

ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਵਡਿਆਈ
जो इसु मारे तिसहि वडिआई ॥
Jo is māre ṯisėh vadi▫ā▫ī.
One who kills this obtains glorious greatness.

ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥
जो इसु मारे तिस का दुखु जाई ॥१॥
Jo is māre ṯis kā ḏukẖ jā▫ī. ||1||
One who kills this is freed of suffering. ||1||

ਐਸਾ ਕੋਇ ਜਿ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਮਾਰਿ ਗਵਾਵੈ
ऐसा कोइ जि दुबिधा मारि गवावै ॥
Aisā ko▫e jė ḏubiḏẖā mār gavāvai.
How rare is such a person, who kills and casts off duality.

ਇਸਹਿ ਮਾਰਿ ਰਾਜ ਜੋਗੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
इसहि मारि राज जोगु कमावै ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Isėh mār rāj jog kamāvai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Killing it, he attains Raja Yoga, the Yoga of meditation and success. ||1||Pause||

Full Shabad : SGGS Page 237

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]ES means Dubidha in this Shalok. Killing Dubidha is very rewarding – the person who kills his Dubidha is considered a very brave and complete person – by completeness means he has attained all the qualities of high spiritual attainment, all his sorrows are diminished, obtains the highest level of happiness – which is complete silence of mind, wins over his mind and becomes honorable in the Dargah of Akal Purakh. Such a person who kills his Dubidha – clears all doubts of his mind, follows the Gurbani in its totality and completeness will become a Raj Yogi – living a family life and a Jivan Mukt in this life – will achieve salvation in this life.
[/FONT]
ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਭਉ ਨਾਹਿ
जो इसु मारे तिस कउ भउ नाहि ॥
Jo is māre ṯis ka▫o bẖa▫o nāhi.
One who kills this has no fear.

ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਸੁ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਹਿ
जो इसु मारे सु नामि समाहि ॥
Jo is māre so nām samāhi.
One who kills this is absorbed in the Naam.

ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਬੁਝੈ
जो इसु मारे तिस की त्रिसना बुझै ॥
Jo is māre ṯis kī ṯarisnā bujẖai.
One who kills this has his desires quenched.

ਜੋ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਸੁ ਦਰਗਹ ਸਿਝੈ ॥੨॥
जो इसु मारे सु दरगह सिझै ॥२॥
Jo is māre so ḏargėh sijẖai. ||2||
One who kills this is approved in the Court of the Lord. ||2||

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The person who kills Dubidha is never fearful, he becomes fearless, his mind concentrates on Naam, he unites with Naam, all his desires vanish and he becomes successfully accepted in Paar Braham's Dargah.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Most of the Sangat lacks a clear direction and guidance to achieve their spiritual goals. This is due to lack of practicing the divine knowledge – Braham Gyan of Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, which is the Gyan Saroop of Paar Braham Parmeshwar, in our daily lives. There is all kind of confusion, misunderstanding and doubts in the minds of Sangat– Dharam De Bharam - which divert their attention from reality presented in the Gurbani. These doubts - Dharam De Bharam – are serious road blocks to one's spiritual progress – these doubts are defined as Dubidha – double mindedness – distortion of your mind, distraction of your mind, disbelief and take you away from the core of the Gurbani – away from Tat Vastoo – Tat Gyan - deep divine knowledge and understanding and hence keep you in Dharam Khand or below it for ages. This is the supreme reason for 99% of the people being in the Dharam Khand or even below it. Dubidha is a very serious mental sickness- Mansik Rog – it blocks your mind and stops you from progressing on the Path to Eternity – Salvation – Jivan Mukti – Meeting the Almighty. As long as you are in Dubidha – in doubts and you are not confident that you are doing the right thing, or you are not aware of the fact that you are not doing the right thing due to the miscommunication to you by various sources, you will not be able to reach anywhere. You need to have crystal clear direction to follow for your spiritual advancements.

https://www.sikhlink.net/forum/Topi...3B+A+DEEP+MENTAL+SICKNESS&forum_title=Gurbani
[/FONT]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM