• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
This shabad is on Ang 201. It is one that is frequently taught early on in kirtan classes to children but the meaning never explained but is quite a simple shabad. As previously, literal English translation immediately underneath. After each couplet, Rawel Singh's translation in blue, my interpretation in green underneath.

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ Gourree Mehalaa 5 ||
ਥਿਰੁ ਘਰਿ ਬੈਸਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥ Thhir Ghar Baisahu Har Jan Piaarae ||
Remain steady in the home of your own self, O beloved servant of the Lord.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Sathigur Thumarae Kaaj Savaarae ||1|| Rehaao ||

The True Guru shall resolve all your affairs. ||1||Pause||

O (piaare) dear (jan) devotees, (baisahu) sit (thir ghari = in a stable home) rest assured – with the confidence – that (satgur) the Eternal Master (savaare) accomplishes all (kaaj) tasks (tumre = your) of the devotees.
Pause and contemplate.

Beloved devotees, make your body the home of Hari (Waheguru). Then the True Guru (Waheguru) will help look after your affairs in the world. Contemplate and reflect on this.

ਦੁਸਟ ਦੂਤ ਪਰਮੇਸਰਿ ਮਾਰੇ ॥ Dhusatt Dhooth Paramaesar Maarae ||
The Transcendent Lord has struck down the wicked and the evil.

ਜਨ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਰਖੀ ਕਰਤਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ Jan Kee Paij Rakhee Karathaarae ||1||
The Creator has preserved the honor of His servant. ||1||

(Parmesar) the Supreme Master (maare = kills) destroys (dust) the evil doers and (doot) messengers – of doom; (kartaare) the Creator (rakhi) preserves (paij) honor (jan ki) of the devotees. 1.

By making your body a temple for Satguru, your enemies and evils (internal) are eradicated. Those who leave the support of others and devote themselves to the support of the creator, their honour is preserved by the creator.

ਬਾਦਿਸਾਹ ਸਾਹ ਸਭ ਵਸਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਨੇ ॥ Baadhisaah Saah Sabh Vas Kar Dheenae ||
The kings and emperors are all under his power;

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮ ਮਹਾ ਰਸ ਪੀਨੇ ॥੨॥ Anmrith Naam Mehaa Ras Peenae ||2||
He drinks deeply of the most sublime essence of the Ambrosial Naam. ||2||

(Baadsaah) emperors and (saah) kings (sabh) all (kar deene) are made subject to (vas = control) of the devotees. [/FONT]This comes because the devotees (peene) drink the (maha ras) great elixir of (amrit naam) the life-giving virtues of the Creator– i.e. listen to Divine virtues in holy congregation and experience the Master within. 2

Parmatma has separated followers from the enslavement of kings and followers. Parmatma’s followers drink the sweetest nectar of all – the amrit of naam or truthful living.

ਨਿਰਭਉ ਹੋਇ ਭਜਹੁ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥ Nirabho Hoe Bhajahu Bhagavaan ||
Meditate fearlessly on the Lord God.
ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਕੀਨੋ ਦਾਨੁ ॥੩॥ Saadhhasangath Mil Keeno Dhaan ||3||
Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, this gift is given. ||3||

Therefore, (bhajahu) remember (bhagvaan) the Creator and (nirbahu hoe) be fearless – have no apprehensions; remember the Master (mili) together in (saadhsangat) holy congregation which (keeno daan = gives charity) bestows the benediction of Divine virtues. 3.

Become immersed in the creator and remember the Creator every moment. This gift can only be given by joining the Sadh sangat. There is a whole long thread on what sadh sangat means but essentially, it is those who help you remain connected and bring out the best in you.

ਸਰਣਿ ਪਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥ Saran Parae Prabh Antharajaamee ||
Nanak has entered the Sanctuary of God, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts;

ਨਾਨਕ ਓਟ ਪਕਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥੪॥੧੦੮॥ Naanak Outt Pakaree Prabh Suaamee ||4||108|
He grasps the Support of God, his Lord and Master. ||4||108||

Says Nanak: I have (pakri = caught) sought (ot) protection of (prabh) the Creator and (suaami) Master; (saran pare) I have placed myself in the care of the Creator (antarjaami = who is in the mind) who directs all my actions. 4. 108.

Nanak says, seek the sanctuary of the all knowing, ever present, limitless Prabhu. Nanak has taken Waheguru’s support and lives life according to Naam (Gurbaani).

Review: Make your body a temple for Waheguru so you merge with the creator and remain connected always. This will help cleansing from inside. Use the Saadh sangat to help you in this aim and then you will be able to deal with life and worries in peace.

Some questions for consideration:
* How is honour preserved? What does this mean?
* What does looking after affairs mean? Does this mean the ardas as often heard in Gurdwara for passing exams, getting a job etc will be rewarded? Or does it mean that the ability to deal with wordly affairs will be improved as shown by the people we commemorate in ardaas?
* Any points where your understanding differs?
* Any related shabads that we can also explore here?

:feedback:

Attachments

• MY-BODY-IS-MY-TEMPLE.jpg
    MY-BODY-IS-MY-TEMPLE.jpg
    17.4 KB · Reads: 487
  • my_body_is_gods_temple_t_shirt-p235370211805528730t53h_400.jpg
    my_body_is_gods_temple_t_shirt-p235370211805528730t53h_400.jpg
    15.8 KB · Reads: 437
Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Establish and still yourself as part of The Supreme Consciousness
Satguru Himself brings you to walk as per His will
With No Enemy, No fear of death, you become immortal part of His, like Him
His creation takes care of pulling you in flow, in tune, in vibration
Emperors, Virtues start following you
Radiate with life force, realize you are divine by rejuvenating with Amrit
Without any fear, you stay engrossed vibrating on Him
This stillness comes from Saadh Sangat
Humbly beg to seek the shelter of Waheguru

Satnam Sri Waheguru

BlazinSikh

SPNer
May 6, 2011
Croydon, London, England
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Thank you Miss/Mrs findingmyway Ji for your interpretation, it helps bring much more of a clear focus on what the SGGS Ji it trying to tell us.

To give my limited amount of knowledge(I use the word "knowledge" very loosely) for your first question of "question for consideration" is when I look at the gurbani talking about Waheguru Ji preserving our honour, is that in this human life we all do good and bad, some do more good than bad, and some do more bad than good. However when we become one with Waheguru Ji all of our bad doing get erased and our good doing become installed in our minds, so that while we are living our mind is cleared from bad thoughts, and only infested in good though so that we only do good.

Well that all I got!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
How is honour preserved? What does this mean?

Jan ki paij rakhi swami = If we make Guru as our Master, then our Honor is preserved. If we serve the false messengers (the 5 vices), we lose the honor. It is very clear how we lose the honor in this world. But the point to think is, did an angry or greedy person 'lose' his honor in eyes of Guru Nanak? Wasn't Guru Nanak all about love? Maybe in anger and greed, we lose love for Creation, for each other and for ourselves. That is why we lose honor?

What does looking after affairs mean? Does this mean the ardas as often heard in Gurdwara for passing exams, getting a job etc will be rewarded? Or does it mean that the ability to deal with wordly affairs will be improved as shown by the people we commemorate in ardaas?

That is the problem. We take kaaj too literally. Or we don't think on the term. What is the kaaj for a human? Is it to earn or eat well? Or is there something beyond. We know there is much more. But everyday, we are lost in getting things to work. Job/Studies/Family etc. Should we pray to eat? or eat so that we can pray? Do we live to work? Or we live to work? What does Gurbani say? Whom does Guru Sahib call living? We are not living, we need to work and eat or we will die. But what are we striving towards?

Any points where your understanding differs?
Any related shabads that we can also explore here?

Guru Sahib has already told us what is Mangna Maangan Neeka.

And on our temporary existence:

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

ਘੜੀ ਮੁਹਤ ਕਾ ਪਾਹੁਣਾ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
For a brief moment, man is a guest of the Lord; he tries to resolve his affairs.

ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾਮਿ ਵਿਆਪਿਆ ਸਮਝੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗਾਵਾਰੁ ॥
Engrossed in Maya and sexual desire, the fool does not understand.

ਉਠਿ ਚਲਿਆ ਪਛੁਤਾਇਆ ਪਰਿਆ ਵਸਿ ਜੰਦਾਰ ॥੧॥
He arises and departs with regret, and falls into the clutches of the Messenger of Death. ||1||

ਅੰਧੇ ਤੂੰ ਬੈਠਾ ਕੰਧੀ ਪਾਹਿ ॥
You are sitting on the collapsing riverbank-are you blind?

ਜੇ ਹੋਵੀ ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਤਾ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਬਚਨੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
If you are so pre-destined, then act according to the Guru's Teachings. ||1||Pause||

ਹਰੀ ਨਾਹੀ ਨਹ ਡਡੁਰੀ ਪਕੀ ਵਢਣਹਾਰ ॥
The Reaper does not look upon any as unripe, half-ripe or fully ripe.

ਲੈ ਲੈ ਦਾਤ ਪਹੁਤਿਆ ਲਾਵੇ ਕਰਿ ਤਈਆਰੁ ॥
Picking up and wielding their sickles, the harvesters arrive.

ਜਾ ਹੋਆ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਕਿਰਸਾਣ ਦਾ ਤਾ ਲੁਣਿ ਮਿਣਿਆ ਖੇਤਾਰੁ ॥੨॥
When the landlord gives the order, they cut and measure the crop. ||2||

ਪਹਿਲਾ ਪਹਰੁ ਧੰਧੈ ਗਇਆ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਰਿ ਸੋਇਆ ॥
The first watch of the night passes away in worthless affairs, and the second passes in deep sleep.

ਤੀਜੈ ਝਾਖ ਝਖਾਇਆ ਚਉਥੈ ਭੋਰੁ ਭਇਆ ॥
In the third, they babble nonsense, and when the fourth watch comes, the day of death has arrived.

ਕਦ ਹੀ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਇਓ ਜਿਨਿ ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਦੀਆ ॥੩॥
The thought of the One who bestows body and soul never enters the mind. ||3||

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਕਉ ਵਾਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਕੀਆ ਕੁਰਬਾਣੁ ॥
I am devoted to the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; I sacrifice my soul to them.

ਜਿਸ ਤੇ ਸੋਝੀ ਮਨਿ ਪਈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸੁਜਾਣੁ ॥
Through them, understanding has entered my mind, and I have met the All-knowing Lord God.

ਨਾਨਕ ਡਿਠਾ ਸਦਾ ਨਾਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਜਾਣੁ ॥੪॥੪॥੭੪॥
Nanak sees the Lord always with him-the Lord, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
findingmyway ji my attempt at feedback to your questions.
* How is honour preserved? What does this mean?
- Honour is a key concern for all and sundry in typical people that Guru ji would have encountered. Guru ji are encouraging such people to find focus in understanding creator and creation. This will put a perspective on reality and importance of honour as it truly should be related to or thought of.

* What does looking after affairs mean?
- Guru ji peg the highest of achievement in anything as to what one does in full recognition of the creator and the wisdom that relates to the same. Guru ji by showing emphasis on the aspect of steadily linking with the creator remind us lest we forget the creator and creation of one.

Does this mean the ardas as often heard in Gurdwara for passing exams, getting a job etc will be rewarded?
- Guru ji do not give one a short cut or magic potion of words repeated or said. Ardass should allow us to remind ourselves in a moment of reflection to go to the roots of creator, creation and living the best based on such wisdom. Any bye products of such state of mind or thinking may or may not allow you to do better or worse in an examination but it certainly should allow for a reality check with clear vision. thereof

Or does it mean that the ability to deal with wordly affairs will be improved as shown by the people we commemorate in ardaas?
- Ardass sets us to excel by remembering and association to what elements makes the Ardaas. Many such are a study in themselves and it should encourage as a spark to be better with every rendition of the Ardaas. Ardaas should be a living experience and not just repetition of words spoken or heard so often.

* Any points where your understanding differs?
- I have given my own understanding below.

* Any related shabads that we can also explore here?
- All of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a tapestry and I am sure one can bring forth many shabads related to contemplation upon the creator, wisdom of the creator, the need for focus and making all this part of daily living.
My understanding of the Shabad follows,

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 5.
Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਥਿਰੁ ਘਰਿ ਬੈਸਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੇ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Thir gẖar baishu har jan pi▫āre. Saṯgur ṯumre kāj savāre. ||1|| rahā▫o.
ਹੇ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਭਗਤ ਜਨੋ! ਆਪਣੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਇਹ ਪੂਰੀ ਸਰਧਾ ਬਣਾਓ, ਕਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ ਸਾਡੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਕਾਰਜ ਸਵਾਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਹਨ (ਕਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਰਨ ਪਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਜ ਸਿਰੇ ਚਾੜ੍ਹ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ) ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥
Steadily seat in your heart, the beloved people of the creator. The true creator so righting your deeds

ਦੁਸਟ ਦੂਤ ਪਰਮੇਸਰਿ ਮਾਰੇ ਜਨ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਰਖੀ ਕਰਤਾਰੇ ੧॥
Ḏusat ḏūṯ parmesar māre. Jan kī paij rakẖī karṯāre. ||1||
(ਹੇ ਸੰਤ ਜਨੋ!) ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਨੇ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਵੈਰੀ ਸਭ ਮੁਕਾ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਹਨ। (ਇਹ ਨਿਸ਼ਚਾ ਧਾਰੋ ਕਿ ਜੇਹੜਾ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਹੋਰ ਆਸਰੇ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਦਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਤੱਕਦਾ ਹੈ) ਕਰਤਾਰ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਦੀ ਇੱਜ਼ਤ ਜ਼ਰੂਰ ਰੱਖੀ ਹੈ ॥੧॥
All wicked and purveyors of bad have been decimated. The creator so preserving the honor of the people so loving.

ਬਾਦਿਸਾਹ ਸਾਹ ਸਭ ਵਸਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਨੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮ ਮਹਾ ਰਸ ਪੀਨੇ ੨॥
Bāḏisāh sāh sabẖ vas kar ḏīne. Amriṯ nām mahā ras pīne. ||2||
(ਹੇ ਸੰਤ ਜਨੋ! ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ) ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਾਹਾਂ ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹਾਂ ਵਲੋਂ ਬੇ-ਮੁਥਾਜ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ। ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਦੇ ਸੇਵਕ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਦਾ ਸਭ ਰਸਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਮਿੱਠਾ ਨਾਮ-ਰਸ ਪੀਂਦੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ ॥੨॥
The kings and rulers all brought under the control. The purest wisdom, the supreme nectar so consumed.

ਨਿਰਭਉ ਹੋਇ ਭਜਹੁ ਭਗਵਾਨ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਕੀਨੋ ਦਾਨੁ ੩॥
Nirbẖa▫o ho▫e bẖajahu bẖagvān. Sāḏẖsangaṯ mil kīno ḏān. ||3||

(ਹੇ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਭਗਤ-ਜਨੋ!) ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਵਿਚ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ ਨਿਡਰ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਭਗਵਾਨ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਦੇ ਰਹੋ। (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨੇ ਤੁਹਾਡੇ ਉਤੇ) ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਸ਼ ਕੀਤੀ ਹੈ ॥੩॥
Without being fearful, contemplate upon the creator. In the company of the pious, give such alms.

ਸਰਣਿ ਪਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਓਟ ਪਕਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੁਆਮੀ ੪॥੧੦੮॥
Saraṇ pare parabẖ anṯarjāmī. Nānak ot pakrī parabẖ su▫āmī. ||4||108||

ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਦਰ ਤੇ ਅਰਦਾਸ ਕਰ ਤੇ ਆਖ ਕਿ) ਹੇ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਹੇ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਨ ਪਿਆ ਹਾਂ, ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਲਿਆ ਹੈ (ਮੈਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਦੀ ਦਾਤ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼) ॥੪॥੧੦੮॥
Reverently coming to the creator that knows all which lies within. Nanak took refuge in the creator lord.

ESSENCE: Guru ji suggest that with peaceful steady heart we link to the creator and much that of consequence will fall in place. The wisdom flows and distractions of ill goings on of others fall by the way side. The highest of wisdom is gained as one fearlessly carries this out in company of similar like minded. Guru ji suggest to seek linkage with the creator and indicates that he has linked himself reverently to the creator lord.

So Guru ji in summary suggest the linking of ourselves piously with the creator and better still in company of other pious. Much to be gained in getting rid of unnecessary bothers and tribulations.
My understanding, all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

All the words are objectively same, awareness one can get by assembly of words used in a verse.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Karta Memory System

Kartar Sting connection of thought from Memory System from where thought originates and manifests into neural links, chemistry ie emotions and physical action.

Satgur Skill to get aware of inner truth or being aware if own self through spiritual educatio or learning and practice. (It is not dera,baba, or physical person. But a guide, which one can self attain by understanding SGGS.) or get a guidance from a physical being, but that guidance to get TRUTH is SATGUR may be through a physical being.

TRUTH is always stationed in all lifes. With guidance to get or aware if TRUTH, will bring transformation to Thought Speech and Physical Action( Kaaj Sawarey) by inner awareness.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: