• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

SGPC Issue Directions, Not To Give Siropa To Amarinder

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/sgpc-issue-directions-not-give-siropa-amarinder

SGPC issue directions, not to give Siropa to Amarinder

Gagandeep Ahuja
Wednesday, 12 May 2010

PATIALA: The Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) has issued strict directions to the local management of Gurudwara Dukhniwarn Sahib for not giving Siropa to the former chief minister Capt. Amarinder when he will visit tomorrow to pay obeisance.

Former chief minister Capt. Amarinder Singh is coming back first time on Thursday to his home town after the revocation of his expulsion from Punjab assembly by Supreme court of India.

Sources said here on Wednesday that SGPC has issued the directions on the behest of SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar.

He was perturbed over the Siropa given by SGPC member Sukhwinder Singh Patti on Sunday when Capt. Singh visited the Golden temple and later at information centre.

Makkar on Monday here said that he was against giving Siropa to Capt. Singh as he was trying to break SGPC.

Gyani Sukhdev Singh, Head Granthi, Gurudwara Dukhniwarn Sahib said when contacted that he will follow directions of SGPC to give or not to give Siropa to any body.

Mukhtar Singh the manager of Gurudwara Dukhniwarn Sahib played safe and said that he was out of station and was busy with tercentenary function of Fateh Diwas.

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/sgpc-issue-directions-not-give-siropa-amarinder

SGPC issue directions, not to give Siropa to Amarinder

Gagandeep Ahuja
Wednesday, 12 May 2010

PATIALA: The Shiromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) has issued strict directions to the local management of Gurudwara Dukhniwarn Sahib for not giving Siropa to the former chief minister Capt. Amarinder when he will visit tomorrow to pay obeisance.

Former chief minister Capt. Amarinder Singh is coming back first time on Thursday to his home town after the revocation of his expulsion from Punjab assembly by Supreme court of India.

Sources said here on Wednesday that SGPC has issued the directions on the behest of SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar.

He was perturbed over the Siropa given by SGPC member Sukhwinder Singh Patti on Sunday when Capt. Singh visited the Golden temple and later at information centre.

Makkar on Monday here said that he was against giving Siropa to Capt. Singh as he was trying to break SGPC.

Makkar Ji, How you can quote that, you have given a letter Ref #:
I will give it to the News media and Youtube, how you granted a Constitution amedment from Amrtdhari Sikh to no Turban Sikh( Patit ) to become a memebr of Sri Guru Singh Sabha here in One Gurudwara In Canada.
You broke the Sikhnism Rule,
You broke the Constitution of Sri Guru Singh Sabha

Soon we will Post that letter for every one.

Gurfateh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
These people dont know the ABcs of SIROPA !!
A Yellow piece of cloth...mostly BOUGHT by any and all for just RS 100 is called SIROPA !!
The SAME RS100 buys a big plate of DEGH !!
On Live Satellite TV one cna see ordinary people BUYING these SIROPAS...
Once I saw a granthi seated at the back of the Palki TEAR one "siropa" into HALF..as he ahd miscalculated and had only FIVE pieces..when SIX people turned up to recieve "sitropas"...no one cared that TWO siropas were JHOOTHA !!
And then what do we call the PATASHAS that coem wrapped in the SIROPAS ??
Truth is that this cloth is just a sort of SUKKA Parsaad..dry degh !! of no value except to brag back home:veryhappykaur: that the SGPC gave it to you ha ha ha...those who DONT wear Keskis..they use these small pieces to wash cars or wipe kitchen sinks..

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
These people dont know the ABcs of SIROPA !!
A Yellow piece of cloth...mostly BOUGHT by any and all for just RS 100 is called SIROPA !!
The SAME RS100 buys a big plate of DEGH !!
On Live Satellite TV one cna see ordinary people BUYING these SIROPAS...
Once I saw a granthi seated at the back of the Palki TEAR one "siropa" into HALF..as he ahd miscalculated and had only FIVE pieces..when SIX people turned up to recieve "sitropas"...no one cared that TWO siropas were JHOOTHA !!
And then what do we call the PATASHAS that coem wrapped in the SIROPAS ??
Truth is that this cloth is just a sort of SUKKA Parsaad..dry degh !! of no value except to brag back home:veryhappykaur: that the SGPC gave it to you ha ha ha...those who DONT wear Keskis..they use these small pieces to wash cars or wipe kitchen sinks..

Gyani ji,

Well said.

These so called saffron "Siropas" show how they have either become the idolised icons or as you said to be used as wash cloths. When I was living in India, my family was given so many of them and one day my Mum gave one of them to our gardener - Mali Bhayiah, who has been with us since I was 14. He used it as a Keski. We had a plant nursery once in our house so all his workers started wearing the same. This was the only positive usage I found for them.

A personal note: In the fear of indulging in me-ism, but I do feel compelled to share this with the Sadh Sangat.

After having interacted with the Sadh Sangat at my local Gurdwara by thinking aloud along with them about the Sunday Hukumnaama in English, a year had gone by like a blink of an eye because of the enthusiam shown by the Sangat, many of whom were Sindhis, South Indians, White Americans and of course the kids, was like Gungei ki Mithai. I especially enjoyed the questions after the langar. It started as a gathering of 2 or 4 and had become a much larger one with time.

The committee to my surprise had passed the "bill" to offer me a Siropa during this occasion. It was announced immediately after I had finished explaining the Hukumnaama of the day in English.

I was called and the siropa was put around my neck and they wanted me to say something after this occasion and jakaaras.

Before saying a word, I took off the siropa, folded it and went in front of Guru Granth Sahib, placed it there and did the matha tek.

I must say the silence was deafening because no one had witnessed this kind of thing before.

Now, it was my time to talk and thank the Sangat and the committee for this great honour. I did that in my own little ways and I am paraphrasing it now, showing them that these kinds of tributes are worth naught for anyone because the best tribute we can offer is sharing what we come here to learn with others. That is the best gift that each of us can offer daily to anyone irrespective of our hue, creed or faith.

No Siropas were offered to any "Sant" that showed up at the Gurdwara for one more year when the same committee served its two year term.

After that, it has been back to normal with the siropas and lots of bickering in this musical chair event which sadly happens at every Gurdwara committee. It is more for the power no matter how small or big the Gurdwara is. It has nothing to do with Gurmat Langar but the desserts served there are awesome.The Sangat has dwindled a lot and I have stopped going there as well.

Indulging in me-ism.

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM