• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sayyed Jaani Ji

amrit

SPNer
Jan 15, 2005
India
http://www.amritworld.com/guruhistory/sayyed_jaani.html

Sayyed Jaani Ji

(Amrit Pal Singh 'Amrit')

Those people are fortunate, who work hard to experience the Truth. One needs a true Guru, with the purpose of experience the Reality. To experience the Truth, we need to pass through a long way. It is not so simple. It takes too much time to come across a true Guru. Sometime, one needs to wait for even more than a few births, before he reaches to the true Guru. Sometime, the God shows light to us and makes it trouble-free for us to come across the true Guru.

We are lucky that we have the true Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji among us to show the path of Rightness. Unfortunately, some of our brothers and sisters cannot realize the truth that Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the light of the God Himself. Such people have been going astray to find another true Guru. Historically, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is established on the sacred throne of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and other nine Gurus. We are fortunate that we can talk to our living Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. We are blessed that we can have the holy 'Darshan' of our Guru any time, anywhere.

There was time when devotees were put in hard examination before they get the holy 'Darshan' of the Guru. Sayyed Jaani Ji was one of such great souls.

Sayyed Jaani Ji became hermit and left his home forever. He wanted to find the true path to the God Almighty. He wandered in all directions to find a true Guru. He went to the sacred places for Hindus. He reached in sacred places for Muslims. He used to perform the 'Namaaz' for five times a day. He did service to the Hindu saints and Muslim seers. However, regardless of all his efforts and deep devotion, he could not experience the ultimate Reality.

His desire was not fulfilled. His efforts were proved fruitless.

When he was so hopeless, he found a ray of hope. Someone told him that Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji was established on the holy throne of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Sayyed Ji heard that the supernatural powers were lying before the Sikhs, but they never accepted them. Sayyed Ji heard that Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji fought battles against the rulers and won all of them.

After listening this, Sayyed Ji was very happy. Immediately he reached to see Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji. He met Bhai Khwaja Ji, who was originally a Muslim from Kashmir. Bhai Khwaja Ji was fully absorbed in Guru's love. He was living in companionship of the Guru for a long time.

Hesitatingly, Sayyed Jaani Ji said to Bhai Khwaja Ji, "We both are from Muslim origin. Khwaja Ji, I have spent all of life searching for a true saint. O brother, tell me how can I make happy the Guru, so that he shows me the true path?"

Bhai Khwaja Ji replied, "There is no one else like Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji in this world. Guru is all-powerful. He is omniscient. He sees only love. When pleased, he librates the devotee from worldly ties. I appeal you to sit on the door of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji. Do neither say anything, nor listen to anyone. Worship the Guru by your spirit. Guru will put you in test. If you are successful, you will be saved from the ocean of sins, by the Grace of the Guru".

Sayyed Jaani Ji listened to Bhai Khwaja Ji very cautiously. He made his mind. He all set himself to put in the test.

He made a prayer in his mind and started to stay facing Guru's holy court (Gurdwara). He would hardly ever take food and water. Guru Ji would come and go, and would never see towards Sayyed Jaani Ji. On the other hand, Sayyed Jaani Ji would see Guru Ji and would bow his head with deep devotion. He would not talk to anyone. Sitting unmoving on a particular place out side the Gurdwara, he would worship Guru Ji constantly. Day and night, hunger and thirst, sunshine and shade were alike to him.

This penance by Sayyed Jaani Ji continued for a number of weeks. It was his test conducted by the Guru. Guru himself, in a way, put him into this test. A true devotee was in pain for Guru's Grace. In such a circumstances, how could a kind-hearted warrior Guru be untouched from Sayyed Jaani Ji's devotion?

The Guru, the holy teacher, sent a Sikh to Sayyed Ji and asked, "What do you wish for? Tell what your desire is. There are many things in Guru's court. You can obtain food, cloths, horse etc from the true Guru. Which thing do you need?"

Sayyed Jaani Ji wandered for a long time searching the true Guru. He was not in quest of such worldly things. Sayyed Ji replied, "The worldly things are perishable. I do not want any perishable things. I am longing for the God. I want to realize the Truth. I want the Grace of Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.

It is clear that Sayyed Jaani Ji had understood this 'Shabd' of the Holy Gurbani: -

"Sri Raag Mahla Paihla. Sabh Ras Mitthhe Manneyai, Suneyai Saalone".

(Translation of all of the holy 'Shabd': - Sri Raag, FIRST Mahla: - Believing, all tastes are sweet. Hearing, the salty flavors are tasted; chanting with one's mouth, the spicy flavors are savored. All these spices have been made from the Sound-current of the Naad. The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; only one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace tastes them. 1. O Baba, the pleasures of other foods are false. Eating them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. 1. Pause. My mind is imbued with the Lord's Love; it is dyed a deep crimson. Truth and charity are my white clothes. My wearing of blue clothes erases the blackness of sin, and meditation on the Lord's Lotus Feet is my robe of honor. Contentment is my cummerbund; Your Name is my wealth and youth. 2. O Baba, the pleasures of other clothes are false. Wearing them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. 1. Pause. The understanding of Your Way, Lord, is horses, saddles and bags of gold for me. The pursuit of virtue is my bow and arrow, my quiver, sword and scabbard. To be distinguished with honor is my drum and banner. Your Mercy is my social status. 3. O Baba, the pleasures of other rides are false. By such rides, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. 1. Pause. The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the pleasure of houses and mansions. Your Glance of Grace is my family, Lord. The Hukam of Your Command is the pleasure of Your Will, Lord. To say anything else is far beyond anyone's reach. O Nanak, the True King does not seek advice from anyone else in His decisions. 4. O Baba, the pleasure of other sleep is false. By such sleep, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. 1. Pause. 4. 7) (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, page 16-17).

The Sikh went back to Guru Ji and told what Sayyed Jaani Ji said. Guru Ji listened this and remained silent

More weeks passed. Sayyed Ji continued with his penance out side the Gurdwara. He would hardly ever take any food. He would see Guru Ji's holy face whenever Guru Ji goes to Gurdwara. What else is needed to be alive? Wah! Wah wah!! 'Gur Ka Darsan Dekh Dekh Jeevaan' (Beholding the Blessed Vision of the Guru's 'Darshan', I live). (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, page 239).

Guru Ji decided to put him even more difficult test. He ordered to construct a wall in the way where Sayyed Jaani Ji used to sit. The reason of constructing such a wall was to prevent Sayyed Ji to have the 'Darshan' of Guru Ji. Sikhs constructed a wall there.

In fact, Sayyed Jaani Ji was a true lover. It was proved by his devotion and hardships. However, his love had a physical aspect. For him, Guru was a physical object. Whenever he thinks about Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, he would think about his body, his clothing and his ornaments etc.

Guru is not a body. It is not right to say that Guru is merely a human being similar to other ordinary people. In fact, Guru is the light. He is the light of the God Almighty. There is no difference between light inside the Guru and God. This is what Guru Ji wanted to teach Sayyed Jaani Ji. That is why he ordered to construct a wall, so that Sayyed Ji could possibly forget the physical aspect of the Guru and could meditate on the holy light.

Now, Sayyed Jaani Ji was not able to see Guru's holy face. He continued with his penance. He would recite the Guru's name. Sunshine and shade were same to him. The devotion for Guru increased inside him. He started to meditate on Guru Ji for 24 hours.

Sometime, Bhai Khwaja Ji would go near him and provide him with food etc, otherwise Sayyed Jaani Ji used not to be bothered about food. He was fully absorbed in love of true Guru, Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.

Oh my Guru! You are great. You are wonderful, O my Guru Kalgidhar Sri Hargobind Sahib Ji. You have showed the True Path to much-loved Sayyed Jaani Ji, without sharing even a single word with him.

Oh foolish people of this perishable planet! Pay attention to Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji what he said to beloved Sayyed Ji wordlessly. Guru is not a physical body. A physical body can never be a Guru. Do not meditate on any physical body. Do not meditate on any picture of Guru. See, Guru Hargobind did not permit Sayyed Ji to meditate on Guru's living body. How can you give good reason for your meditation on a picture, which is entirely an imagination of an artist?

Oh foolish! See, Guru Ji constructed a wall of bricks to save his devotee from any erroneous belief. It is just a fallacy to meditate on Guru's physical appearance. Try to be aware of what Guru Ji is indicating here.

Wah! Wah! Sayyed Jaani Ji understood it. He sees the Guru without seeing the Guru. He realized that 'Gur Moorat Gur Shabd Hai, Saadh Sangat Mil Amrit Vela' (Bhai Sahib Gurdas Ji, 'Vaar' 24, stanza 11). Wonderful! Sayyed Ji is now able to see Guru Ji all the time, no matter where the physical body of Guru is.

Oh people of the world! If you admit that Guru is the 'Shabd', not a body, you will realize that Guru is omnipresent, because the 'Shabd' is omnipresent. If the 'Shabd' is omnipresent, you can hear it everywhere. If Guru is omnipresent, you can hear him everywhere. Just realize the 'Shabd', you can even talk to the Guru, whenever you want.

Great devotee Sayyed Jaani Ji now sees Guru everywhere. He is able to hear Guru Ji, no matter where he is. He is satisfied without any food. He is untroubled. He got the true pleasure.

Now, it was the time to throw away the love for life. It was the time to learn how to obey the true Guru even if he asks to die. The holy Gurbani says, "Paihlaan Maran Kabool, Jeevan Kee Chhadd Aas". (First, accept death, and give up any hope of life). (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, page 1102).

Guru Ji sent a Sikh to Sayyed Jaani Ji to order him to jump into the river. The Sikh went to Sayyed Ji and said, "There is an order for you by the Guru".

Sayyed Ji heard this. It made him so delighted. An order by the true Guru, and for him? Wow! However, what is the order?

The Sikh said, "Go and jump into the river".

Wow! It was so easy for a true devotee, like Sayyed Jaani Ji. Sayyed Ji rushed to the river and jumped into it without any delay. Guru Ji had already prearranged some Sikhs to bring Sayyed Ji out of the river securely.

Sayyed Ji was saved from the river and was brought back to where he used to sit.

Many people start to penance. In the beginning, they want to please the God Almighty, but later they start to try to get supernatural powers. There are many so-called 'saints', who are doing their 'saadhna' to get such powers.

Was there any desire for such a supernatural power in the mind of Sayyed Jaani Ji? It was, now, time to get answer to this question.

Guru Ji sent a Sikh to Sayyed Ji and asked, "If you want any supernatural power, just tell now. Guru Ji will give it to you without delay".

Sayyed Ji replied, "I do not want anything else, with the exception of the beloved Guru".

Sayyed Ji was successful in his penance. Now, Guru Ji called him in his holy court. Sayyed Ji came and put his head in Guru's feet. Guru Ji delivered him the True Knowledge and told him the true path to the God Almighty.

He enjoyed the holy companionship of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji for a long period.

One day, Guru Ji called Sayyed Jaani Ji along with Bhai Khwaja Ji, and said, "Your selfless service towards the Guru is accepted. Guru is pleased. Now go to some place and live there like saints of the God."

Both of them were true Gursikhs. They had to obey their Guru Ji. However, before leaving the Guru, they appointed their disciple Bhai Nand Laal Ji (Guru Ji used to call him 'Sohna') to do the services to Guru Ji they used to do. Thus, the great soul, Sayyed Jaani Ji, was blessed by the Guru.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Amrit ji,

This complete article made such a wonderful reading. A Big Thanks for sharing this.

Gur Ka Darsan Dekh Dekh Jeevaan',
Gur Moorat Gur Shabd Hai, Saadh Sangat Mil Amrit Vela,
Paihlaan Maran Kabool, Jeevan Kee Chhadd Aas
Sayyed Ji heard this. It made him so delighted. An order by the true Guru, and for him? Wow!

Things like above are a good hammer to realize the importance of Shabad-Guru.

Waheguru

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM