• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Saudi Cleric Says Driving Hurts Women's Ovaries

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Saudi Cleric Says Driving Hurts Women's Ovaries

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/0...riving-hurts-women-ovaries/?intcmp=latestnews

A Saudi cleric sparked a wave of mockery online when he warned women that driving would affect their ovaries and bring "clinical disorders" upon their children.

The warning came ahead of an October 26 initiative to defy a longstanding driving ban on women in the ultra-conservative kingdom.

"Physiological science" has found that driving "automatically affects the ovaries and pushes up the pelvis," Sheikh Saleh al-Luhaydan warned women in remarks to local news website Sabq.org.

"This is why we find that children born to most women who continuously drive suffer from clinical disorders of varying degrees," he said.

His comments prompted criticism on Twitter, which has become a rare platform for Saudis to voice their opinions in the absolute monarchy.

"What a mentality we have. People went to space and you still ban women from driving. Idiots," said one comment.

"When idiocy marries dogma in the chapel of medieval traditions, this is their prodigal child," wrote a female tweeter.

Luhaydan, a member of the senior Ulema (Muslim scholars) Commission and former head of the Supreme Judicial Council, said that "evidence from the Quran and Sunna (the teachings of the Prophet Mohammed) completely prohibit (women's driving) on moral and social background."

An online petition titled "Oct 26th, driving for women" amassed nearly 12,000 signatures, while access to it was blocked in the kingdom on Sunday.

Saudi Arabia is the only country where women are banned from driving.

Activists declared a day of defiance against the ban on June 17, 2011, but few women answered the call to drive. Some of those who did were stopped by police and forced to sign a pledge not to take to the wheel again.

Saudi Arabia imposes other restrictions on women, including a requirement to cover themselves from head to toe when in public.

The 2011 call, which spread through Facebook and Twitter, was the largest mass action since November 1990, when 47 Saudi women were arrested and severely punished after demonstrating in cars.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I won't say it. I won't say it. I will be respectful. I will support the Sikh teaching that if you are a Muslim, be a good Muslim. I'm not sure if that means following the teachings of a cleric who obviously...No, I won't write. I won't say it. Respect. Respect. I must show respect.

It does make me wonder what else might injure a woman's ovaries. Housework, maybe? Vacuuming puts a lot of stress on the abdomen. Maybe only men should do vacuuming.

OK, I have annoyed the Administrators enough for one day.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I won't say it. I won't say it. I will be respectful. I will support the Sikh teaching that if you are a Muslim, be a good Muslim. I'm not sure if that means following the teachings of a cleric who obviously...No, I won't write. I won't say it. Respect. Respect. I must show respect.

It does make me wonder what else might injure a woman's ovaries. Housework, maybe? Vacuuming puts a lot of stress on the abdomen. Maybe only men should do vacuuming.

OK, I have annoyed the Administrators enough for one day.

I will say that having many children, even if they are spaced a few years apart, does contribute to a prolapsed uterus which requires surgery to be corrected. Prolapsed uterus is not life-threatening, as far as I know, However, it does over time cause other internal organs considerable strain and stress. About ovaries, I don't know.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: