• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sat Gur connection. Advice on listening to shabad Guru according to writers of Granth with my interpretation.

GadarJeet

SPNer
May 28, 2024
Hello,

If you are trying to connect with the Sat Gur, here is some advice.

According to the writers of the Granth, there are two ways of understanding the self:

1. Understanding that comes from the Sat Gur (Gurmat)
2. Understanding that comes from the mind (Manmat)

The writers are opposed to Manmat and Manmukh, believing that true virtue must come from the Sat Gur, not the mind. They hold an aristocratic view of the self, where the Sat Gur holds a noble presence above the mind. Gurmat is considered superior to Manmat.

If you want to listen to the Sat Gur, you can't do it by trying. Trying to "listen" is a product of Manmat. By listening, I mean focusing on your heart, your breathing, your feelings, or your morality as a means to search for the Sat Gur. This type of listening is considered Manmat and is not effective.

The Sat Gur tells you to listen to it. It is like a hunter who shoots arrows (the shabad) at your "self." It is up to you whether you want to receive the blow from the arrow (the shabad). Most people dodge the blow.

You can't lock yourself in a quiet space and try to connect with the Sat Gur through rituals or other means that your mind thinks are necessary. These are products of the mind's understanding and not that of the Sat Gur.

You have to walk on the path of life, but have the awareness that the connector to god resides within and no where else.

And then it will be heard as it operates by its own, and you cannot mistake it for anything else. (According to writers not me, I haven’t heard the shabad)

Sanmukh seh bān sanmukh seh bān hai marig arpe man tan parān hai oh bedhi▫o sahj sarot. (462)

If you are interested in the arrow metaphor search one of the online granths with the keyword “bān” (arrow). Lots of poems with this metaphor of the hunter/ warrior (Sat Gur) shooting arrows as Shabad at the self.

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel:

Latest Activity