• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Salok Sheikh Farid Ji 76-94 / ਸਲੋਕ ਸੇਖ ਫਰੀਦ ਕੇ ੭੬ – ੯੪

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਜਿ ਦਿਹਿ ਨਾਲਾ ਕਪਿਆ ਜੇ ਗਲੁ ਕਪਹਿ ਚੁਖ ਪਵਨਿ ਇਤੀ ਮਾਮਲੇ ਸਹਾਂ ਇਤੀ ਦੁਖ ੭੬॥
Farīḏā jė ḏihi nālā kapi▫ā je gal kapėh cẖukẖ. Pavan na iṯī māmle sahāʼn na iṯī ḏukẖ. ||76||
Farid the day I was circumcised, had my throat been cut a bit. Neither so many troubles would have arisen, nor so much suffering to tolerate.

INTERJECTION SLOAK:
ਚਬਣ ਚਲਣ ਰਤੰਨ ਸੇ ਸੁਣੀਅਰ ਬਹਿ ਗਏ ਹੇੜੇ ਮੁਤੀ ਧਾਹ ਸੇ ਜਾਨੀ ਚਲਿ ਗਏ ੭੭॥
Cẖabaṇ cẖalaṇ raṯann se suṇī▫ar bahi ga▫e. Heṛe muṯī ḏẖāh se jānī cẖal ga▫e. ||77||
Teeth, legs, eyes and ears stopped working. Body cried out loud, so friends have left.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਬੁਰੇ ਦਾ ਭਲਾ ਕਰਿ ਗੁਸਾ ਮਨਿ ਹਢਾਇ ਦੇਹੀ ਰੋਗੁ ਲਗਈ ਪਲੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਇ ੭੮॥
Farīḏā bure ḏā bẖalā kar gusā man na hadẖā▫e. Ḏehī rog na lag▫ī palai sabẖ kicẖẖ pā▫e. ||78||
Farid, do good to the bad, don’t let mind get angry. Body does not get sick, all is received well.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਪੰਖ ਪਰਾਹੁਣੀ ਦੁਨੀ ਸੁਹਾਵਾ ਬਾਗੁ ਨਉਬਤਿ ਵਜੀ ਸੁਬਹ ਸਿਉ ਚਲਣ ਕਾ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਜੁ ੭੯॥
Farīḏā pankẖ parāhuṇī ḏunī suhāvā bāg. Na▫ubaṯ vajī subah si▫o cẖalaṇ kā kar sāj. ||79||
Farid, line of birds as visitors, the world is a beautiful orchard. Morning drums sound in the morning, get ready to leave.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰਾਤਿ ਕਥੂਰੀ ਵੰਡੀਐ ਸੁਤਿਆ ਮਿਲੈ ਭਾਉ ਜਿੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਨੈਣ ਦ੍ਰਾਵਲੇ.ਨੀ ਤਿੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਿਲਣੁ ਕੁਆਉ ੮੦॥
Farīḏā rāṯ kathūrī vandī▫ai suṯi▫ā milai na bẖā▫o. Jinĥā naiṇ nīʼnḏrāvale ṯinĥā milaṇ ku▫ā▫o. ||80||
Farid, musk distributed at night, sleeping don’t get the share. Ones with eyes full of sleep, how can such receive.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਮੈ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਦੁਖੁ ਮੁਝ ਕੂ ਦੁਖੁ ਸਬਾਇਐ ਜਗਿ ਊਚੇ ਚੜਿ ਕੈ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਤਾਂ ਘਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਏਹਾ ਅਗਿ ੮੧॥
Farīḏā mai jāni▫ā ḏukẖ mujẖ kū ḏukẖ sabā▫i▫ai jag. Ūcẖe cẖaṛ kai ḏekẖi▫ā ṯāʼn gẖar gẖar ehā ag. ||81||
Farid, I thought I was hurting, hurting in all the world. When I looked from climbing up high, house to house its same fire.

ਮਹਲਾ
Mėhlā 5.
Gur Arjan Dev ji

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਭੂਮਿ ਰੰਗਾਵਲੀ ਮੰਝਿ ਵਿਸੂਲਾ ਬਾਗ ਜੋ ਜਨ ਪੀਰਿ ਨਿਵਾਜਿਆ ਤਿੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਅੰਚ ਲਾਗ ੮੨॥
Farīḏā bẖūm rangāvalī manjẖ visūlā bāg. Jo jan pīr nivāji▫ā ṯinĥā ancẖ na lāg. ||82||
Earth arranged so beautifully, within a garden of poison. Such humble accepting the creator, so don’t get marked.

ਮਹਲਾ
Mėhlā 5.
Guru Arjan Dev ji

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਉਮਰ ਸੁਹਾਵੜੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਸੁਵੰਨੜੀ ਦੇਹ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਕੇਈ ਪਾਈਅਨਿ ਜਿੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਨੇਹ ੮੩॥
Farīḏā umar suhāvaṛī sang suvannṛī ḏeh. virle ke▫ī pā▫ī▫an jinĥā pi▫āre neh. ||83||
Farid, life is comfortable, along with a beautiful body. Only rare such found, who love the creator.

INTERJECTION SLOAK:
ਕੰਧੀ ਵਹਣ ਢਾਹਿ ਤਉ ਭੀ ਲੇਖਾ ਦੇਵਣਾ ਜਿਧਰਿ ਰਬ ਰਜਾਇ ਵਹਣੁ ਤਿਦਾਊ ਗੰਉ ਕਰੇ ੮੪॥
Kanḏẖī vahaṇ na dẖāhi ṯa▫o bẖī lekẖā ḏevṇā. Jiḏẖar rab rajā▫e vahaṇ ṯiḏẖā▫ū gaʼn▫o kare. ||84||
River, don’t destroy the banks you too have to give account. Direction the creator wishes, river so flows.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਡੁਖਾ ਸੇਤੀ ਦਿਹੁ ਗਇਆ ਸੂਲਾਂ ਸੇਤੀ ਰਾਤਿ ਖੜਾ ਪੁਕਾਰੇ ਪਾਤਣੀ ਬੇੜਾ ਕਪਰ ਵਾਤਿ ੮੫॥
Farīḏā dukẖā seṯī ḏihu ga▫i▫ā sūlāʼn seṯī rāṯ. Kẖaṛā pukāre pāṯ▫ṇī beṛā kapar vāṯ. ||85||
Farid, day passes in pain, night with lancing anguish. The oarsman so says loudly, the boat is in swells.

INTERJECTION SLOAK:
ਲੰਮੀ ਲੰਮੀ ਨਦੀ ਵਹੈ ਕੰਧੀ ਕੇਰੈ ਹੇਤਿ ਬੇੜੇ ਨੋ ਕਪਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੇ ਜੇ ਪਾਤਣ ਰਹੈ ਸੁਚੇਤਿ ੮੬॥
Lammī lammī naḏī vahai kanḏẖī kerai heṯ. Beṛe no kapar ki▫ā kare je pāṯaṇ rahai sucẖeṯ. ||86||
Long and long the river, eating away the banks. What can swells do to the boat, if the oarsman stays aware.
ਫਰੀਦਾ .ਗਲੀ ਸੁ ਸਜਣ ਵੀਹ ਇਕੁ ਢੂੰਢੇਦੀ ਲਹਾਂ ਧੁਖਾਂ ਜਿਉ ਮਾਂਲੀਹ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਤਿੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਮਾ ਪਿਰੀ ੮੭॥
Farīḏā galīʼn so sajaṇ vīh ik dẖūʼndẖeḏī na lahāʼn. Ḏẖukẖāʼn ji▫o māʼnlīh kāraṇ ṯinĥā mā pirī. ||87||
Twenty friends to talk to, so searching cannot find one real one. Smoldering like dung fire yearning for my beloved.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਭਉਕਣਾ ਨਿਤ ਨਿਤ ਦੁਖੀਐ ਕਉਣੁ ਕੰਨੀ ਬੁਜੇ ਦੇ ਰਹਾਂ ਕਿਤੀ ਵਗੈ ਪਉਣੁ ੮੮॥
Farīḏā ih ṯan bẖa▫ukaṇā niṯ niṯ ḏukẖī▫ai ka▫uṇ. Kannī buje ḏe rahāʼn kiṯī vagai pa▫uṇ. ||88||
Farid, this body keeps barking, who can day after day be so bothered. Keeping ears plugged, however much wind wants to blow.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰਬ ਖਜੂਰੀ ਪਕੀਆਂ ਮਾਖਿਅ ਨਈ ਵਹੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਵੰਞੈਂ ਡੀਹੜਾ ਸੋ ਉਮਰ ਹਥ ਪਵੰਨਿ ੮੯॥
Farīḏā rab kẖajūrī pakī▫āʼn mākẖi▫a na▫ī vahaʼnniĥ. Jo jo vañaiʼn dīhṛā so umar hath pavann. ||89||
Farid, creator like ripe dates, rivers of honey flowing. Day as day passes, so steals from age.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਤਨੁ ਸੁਕਾ ਪਿੰਜਰੁ ਥੀਆ ਤਲੀਆਂ ਖੂੰਡਹਿ ਕਾਗ ਅਜੈ ਸੁ ਰਬੁ ਬਾਹੁੜਿਓ ਦੇਖੁ ਬੰਦੇ ਕੇ ਭਾਗ ੯੦॥
Farīḏā ṯan sukā pinjar thī▫ā ṯalī▫āʼn kẖūʼndėh kāg. Ajai so rab na bāhuṛi▫o ḏekẖ banḏe ke bẖāg. ||90||
Farid body so dried like a skeleton, palms are pecked by crows. Creator still has not shown mercy, see so a human’s fortune.

INTERJECTION SLOAK:
ਕਾਗਾ ਕਰੰਗ ਢੰਢੋਲਿਆ ਸਗਲਾ ਖਾਇਆ ਮਾਸੁ ਦੁਇ ਨੈਨਾ ਮਤਿ ਛੁਹਉ ਪਿਰ ਦੇਖਨ ਕੀ ਆਸ ੯੧॥
Kāgā karang dẖandẖoli▫ā saglā kẖā▫i▫ā mās. Ė ḏu▫e nainā maṯ cẖẖuha▫o pir ḏekẖan kī ās. ||91||
Crows have pecked on the skeleton and eaten all the flesh. Please don’t touch these two eyes, expecting to see the creator.

ਕਾਗਾ ਚੂੰਡਿ ਪਿੰਜਰਾ ਬਸੈ ਉਡਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਪਿੰਜਰੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਹੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਾਸੁ ਤਿਦੂ ਖਾਹਿ ੯੨॥
Kāgā cẖūnd na pinjrā basai ṯa udar jāhi. Jiṯ pinjrai merā saho vasai mās na ṯiḏū kẖāhi. ||92||
Hey crow, don’t peck the skeleton, if can fly away. Skeleton that my creator resides in, don’t eat flesh of that.
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਗੋਰ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਸਡੁ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਘਰਿਆ ਘਰਿ ਆਉ ਸਰਪਰ ਮੈਥੈ ਆਵਣਾ ਮਰਣਹੁ ਨਾ ਡਰਿਆਹੁ ੯੩॥
Farīḏā gor nimāṇī sad kare nigẖri▫ā gẖar ā▫o. Sarpar maithai āvṇā marṇahu na dari▫āhu. ||93||
Farid, the humble grave is calling out, homeless come home. After all you have to come to me, don’t be afraid of dying.

ਏਨੀ ਲੋਇਣੀ ਦੇਖਦਿਆ ਕੇਤੀ ਚਲਿ ਗਈ ਫਰੀਦਾ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੀ ਮੈ ਆਪਣੀ ਪਈ ੯੪॥
Ėnī lo▫iṇī ḏekẖ▫ḏi▫ā keṯī cẖal ga▫ī. Farīḏā lokāʼn āpo āpṇī mai āpṇī pa▫ī. ||94||
Seeing with these eyes, many have departed. Farid, each one to their own, me to myself.

ESSENCE: Baba Farid ji state in sloak 76 that instead of losing little skin in circumcision if my throat has been so incised I would have had less trouble in life.

Sloak 77 states that as body faculties fail with age, the body keeps complaining for such loss of friends that helped it.

Baba Farid ji in Sloaks 78-81 cover how the need to be good is fundamental even when challenging, time comes for leaving and one needs to be so prepared for it, the time is limited and the ability to receive is based on being there at the right time, and one needs to not be of jealous of others in better shape as Farid ji says we are more alike rather than different.

Baba Farid ji in sloaks 82 and 83 note that even in difficult and dangerous environments, the creator’s company and recognition is of great benefit but in fact very few so recognize.

Sloak 84 notes that the world turns as the creator so directs just like the river shaping its banks.

In sloak 85 Farid ji post the dilemma of pains for an oarsman in the midst of swelling waters. This is answered in sloak 86 where it is noted that however the river so shapes, if the oarsman is attentive all is well.

In sloak 87 Farid ji describe the pain of separation and finding the true friend , the creator , versus scores of worldly friends.

In sloaks 88 and 89 Baba Farid ji state about the botheration of a living body but note how the unrecognized beauty and benevolence of the creator’s giving passes by with each day.

Baba Farid ji describe in sloak 90 the situation of one so old and dissipated and still not having recognized the creator.

In sloaks 91 and 92 the metaphoric crow picking on the eyes and the body flesh is described, but the prayer is that to the end the creator be sought as in seeing out and as in living within.

Farid ji in slaoks 93 and 94 remind that the end state is always waiting and if so recognized and be prepared what is there to worry about as many have come and gone, so be it.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Note: Interjection sloaks appear to address some observations in reference to Farid ji's sloak that precede. Whereas Farid ji very strongly and metaphorically state the elements of learning, the interjections provide complementary references to the nature of relationship with the creator.

PS: Sloaks 76-94 at about 0:00 to 04:56 of the following video,

salok saekh fareedh kae part 3 - YouTube

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM