• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom Sajjan Kumar Denies Allegation Of Inciting Mob

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Veteran Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, facing trial for his alleged role in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case involving the killings of six people in city cantonment area, today vehemently denied in a Delhi court the allegations that he had incited a mob to slaughter Sikhs. Deposing before

Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta, the former outer Delhi MP asserted that the testimonies, given by other witnesses in this case against him, were at the instance of his political rivals. Kumar emphasised that he did not even visit the area of occurrence of the crime on the fateful night.

"On the night of November 1, 1984, I did not even go to the area of Rajnagar nor I incited or threatened anybody. The allegations against me regarding this are false and have been made at the instance of my political opponents and CBI officials.

Kumar is facing trial along with five others including the former city councillor Balwan Khokkar, for inciting mobs against the Sikh community and having six of them killed in city cantonment area during the riots that followed the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984. Kumar also vehemently denied that he provoked rioters in making emotive anti-Sikh slogans like, "Ek bhi sardar jinda nahi bachna chaiye.

Jo ghar sardaron ka bachha hai, usse bhi jala do. In sardaron ko maro inhone hamari maa ko mara hain. (Not even a single Sikh should be left alive. Burn their houses. These Sikhs have killed our mother.)"

http://www.hindustantimes.com/1984-...legation-of-inciting-mob/Article1-722640.aspx

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Related Story

Rivals Framed Me, Says Sajjan

NEW DELHI: Congress leader Sajjan Kumar on Monday alleged that the case against him for inciting mobs during the 1984 anti-Sikh riots was filed at the instance of political rivals. He denied being present at the spot where six people were allegedly killed in the Cantonment area during the riots.

Kumar, who is facing trial for his alleged role in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, also denied before the court that he had incited a mob to slaughter Sikhs.

Deposing before Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta, the former outer Delhi MP asserted that the testimonies, given by other witnesses against him, were at the instance of his political rivals. Kumar said he did not even visit the Cantonment area that night.

"On the night of November 1, 1984, I did not even go to the area of Rajnagar nor did I incite or threaten anybody. The allegations against me regarding this are false and have been made at the instance of my political opponents and CBI officials," he said.

Kumar denied that he provoked rioters in making emotive anti-Sikh slogans. He also questioned the delays of 16 to 24 years made by the relatives of the victims in naming him as an accused in the case.

Kumar pointed out that Jagdish Kaur, Nirpreet Kaur and Jagsher Singh, who lost their family members during the riots, did not make any allegations against him for several years before any forum, including the Delhi police and various judicial commissions set up to probe the riots. Similarly, he accused other witnesses — Nirpreet Kaur and Jagdish Kaur — also of deposing falsely against him.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Rivals-framed-me-says-Sajjan/articleshow/9277597.cms

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM