• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sadh Sangat - What Is It?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Today I took one of those digital hukamnamas. To keep a long story incredibly short, I'm feeling incredibly lost. The hukamnama I received is at the end of my post and speaks directly to the question I hold in my heart. But, as always for me with Gurbani, there is something I don't understand.

And I need to understand this, because it's critical to the answer to the question I hold in my heart. So, can we please discuss and hopefully clarify what is meant in Gurbani by Sadh Sangat? What does it mean to jap naam in sadh sangat?

I'm tried of not knowing, I'm tired of mental gymnastics, and I'm most of all tired of excluding myself from kneeling at God's feet with my head in my hand. Please help me understand.

Sat Sri Akaal.

From ang 684

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ
Ḏẖanāsrī mėhlā 5.
Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਭਈ ਸਚੁ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਖਾਇਆ
Ŧaripaṯ bẖa▫ī sacẖ bẖojan kẖā▫i▫ā.
I am satisfied and satiated, eating the food of Truth.

ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਰਸਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥੧॥
Man ṯan rasnā nām ḏẖi▫ā▫i▫ā. ||1||
With my mind, body and tongue, I meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||

ਜੀਵਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਵਨਾ
Jīvnā har jīvnā.
Life, spiritual life, is in the Lord.

ਜੀਵਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Jīvan har jap sāḏẖsang. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Spiritual life consists of chanting the Lord's Name in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||Pause||

ਅਨਿਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਓਢਾਏ
Anik parkārī basṯar odẖā▫e.
He is dressed in robes of all sorts,

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਏ ॥੨॥
An▫ḏin kīrṯan har gun gā▫e. ||2||
if he sings the Kirtan of the Lord's Glorious Praises, day and night. ||2||

ਹਸਤੀ ਰਥ ਅਸੁ ਅਸਵਾਰੀ
Hasṯī rath as asvārī.
He rides upon elephants, chariots and horses,

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਿਹਾਰੀ ॥੩॥
Har kā mārag riḏai nihārī. ||3||
if he sees the Lord's Path within his own heart. ||3||

ਮਨ ਤਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਚਰਨ ਧਿਆਇਆ
Man ṯan anṯar cẖaran ḏẖi▫ā▫i▫ā.
Meditating on the Lord's Feet, deep within his mind and body,

ਹਰਿ ਸੁਖ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੪॥੨॥੫੬॥
Har sukẖ niḏẖān Nānak ḏās pā▫i▫ā. ||4||2||56||
slave Nanak has found the Lord, the treasure of peace. ||4||2||56||​

:kaurhug:

Last edited:

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
Hi isna jee. as per gurbani you get what you earn. so reciting God's or guru's name is your own choice and responsibility. there is no two ways about it. doubt is the biggest hindrance in achieving godliness. it is human tendency one may get tired of reciting or meditating and not see any results. at that time if you sit in the company of like minded people or those who meditate like you and ask question about your doubt, they may be of some help. as for bowing down ; it is physical and it has become a ritual to do so. sggs speaks of mind mainly not the body or brain. respect is in the mind not the body. s s a

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Sat. TRUTH
Sant . Awareness of TRUTH
Sadh . Application of awareness of TRUTH as a result SELF CONTROL of MIND henceforth speech and action.
Sangat Company

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

How to check ones company

Sat Sangat .: .if in the company natures truth are discussed,. Speech and discussion is not on caste, creed, negativity. One gets a SAT sangat. One can easily recognize by speech / actions of a person accompanied.
Sant Sangat: Truth awareness, aware of origins and end. Aware of origin of Thought henceforth speech and action. Aware of physical senses. Cornea Moments, Touch Sestivity, Smell Senstivity, Light and Sound Senstivity. Sense awareness.
Sadh Sangat Aware if TRUTH and applied awareness, sense awareness, for what human senses are gifted
Role and control of tongue, eyes, ears, touch and smell sense. With sense what to seek, and what to perceive, awareness of reactiveness.
One can SELF analyse company.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
See, that's the thing. Gurbani's continual emphasis on sadh sangat indicates to me that unless you keep company with with saintly, enlightened people, you're not going to get far as a Sikh. And I'm not sure how to tell if the mass congregation at Gurdwara would class as 'sadh'.

I desperately want to say that the Guru Itself is the sadh sangat we need to cultivate. I mean, surely there can be no greater sadh sangat than the company of God Itself? If we lived each moment as if we were actually in God's presence (which we are, we just keep forgetting or ignoring it), wouldn't a lot of things be different for most of us (Harry excepted, LOL)?

Maybe I'm just looking for the easy way out, or for an excuse, because I never could properly integrate into the local Sikh community, so by extension I am excluded from the spiritual life mentioned in the opening shabad.

Last edited:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Saadh. By text reference is not easy way of life. Normally SADH company practically we realise in
1. They are performing service to others may be cooking food, protection to nation, .health services, social workers, etc. May or may not have there own family, but have feeling of compassion for other. May or may not be Saint have awareness of TRUTH, but at followance level. above Saint.

Have control of Kam Krodh Lobh Moh Ahankaar, signs are humble, simple, ethical, committed of WORD is there for service

In company of SAINTs like to be sprirtually aware, though get exploited by fake SAINTs who have not bring awarenes in practice.

Fake Saints Have awareness of TRUTH are not practitioners are not serving, neither earning nor can share hard work. Non simplicity having means beyond utilisation but for exploitation. Its like doctor, engineer, CA have paid. degrees or politically reserved candidature but not have practice, but have powers of sign and position via posession of awareness. Poor practitioners, non committal, exploiting.

One shall be intutively aware of fakes, and physical real world of WORD .

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Brahm. Origins and generator
Brahagyani Having awareness of origins and generator like being aware if origin and generator of thoughts,
Par Brahm . Beyond Origin and Generation omnipresent. Not in cycle of Birth and Death.

Par Brahm Paya . Become aware and realised of omnipresent.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Last edited:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
gathering or congregation of devotees in simple
Sat Sri Akaal,

Devotee to GURU is easier said than done.
One has to dememorise own mind, and do memorisation if Gurus Bani, and become practitioners.

People coming and joining for the sake of problems and desires, not ready to listen and memorise, Devoting physically presence in time frame, in congregation mentally preoccupied is not SADH sangat, and can not be devotee.. or many a times for parsad and langar.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Today I took one of those digital hukamnamas. To keep a long story incredibly short, I'm feeling incredibly lost. The hukamnama I received is at the end of my post and speaks directly to the question I hold in my heart. But, as always for me with Gurbani, there is something I don't understand.

And I need to understand this, because it's critical to the answer to the question I hold in my heart. So, can we please discuss and hopefully clarify what is meant in Gurbani by Sadh Sangat? What does it mean to jap naam in sadh sangat?

I'm tried of not knowing, I'm tired of mental gymnastics, and I'm most of all tired of excluding myself from kneeling at God's feet with my head in my hand. Please help me understand.

Sat Sri Akaal.

From ang 684

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ
Ḏẖanāsrī mėhlā 5.
Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਭਈ ਸਚੁ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਖਾਇਆ
Ŧaripaṯ bẖa▫ī sacẖ bẖojan kẖā▫i▫ā.
I am satisfied and satiated, eating the food of Truth.

ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਰਸਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥੧॥
Man ṯan rasnā nām ḏẖi▫ā▫i▫ā. ||1||
With my mind, body and tongue, I meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||1||

ਜੀਵਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਵਨਾ
Jīvnā har jīvnā.
Life, spiritual life, is in the Lord.

ਜੀਵਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Jīvan har jap sāḏẖsang. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Spiritual life consists of chanting the Lord's Name in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||Pause||

ਅਨਿਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਓਢਾਏ
Anik parkārī basṯar odẖā▫e.
He is dressed in robes of all sorts,

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਏ ॥੨॥
An▫ḏin kīrṯan har gun gā▫e. ||2||
if he sings the Kirtan of the Lord's Glorious Praises, day and night. ||2||

ਹਸਤੀ ਰਥ ਅਸੁ ਅਸਵਾਰੀ
Hasṯī rath as asvārī.
He rides upon elephants, chariots and horses,

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਿਹਾਰੀ ॥੩॥
Har kā mārag riḏai nihārī. ||3||
if he sees the Lord's Path within his own heart. ||3||

ਮਨ ਤਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਚਰਨ ਧਿਆਇਆ
Man ṯan anṯar cẖaran ḏẖi▫ā▫i▫ā.
Meditating on the Lord's Feet, deep within his mind and body,

ਹਰਿ ਸੁਖ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੪॥੨॥੫੬॥
Har sukẖ niḏẖān Nānak ḏās pā▫i▫ā. ||4||2||56||
slave Nanak has found the Lord, the treasure of peace. ||4||2||56||​

:kaurhug:

It means in the company of those who practice Truth. I.e Nanak, Gobind Ji, Saints, bhagats, His devotees.

When u start to practice Truth and live in that frequency, you begin to realise more and more what this refers to. You gravitate towards other bhagats and saints and your heart begins to open to them as truth works through them. You begin to realise that not only do u practice Truth, but you ARE the truth.

You begin to see Truth everywhere, God in everything. The saadh sangat is the company of self realising and accepting beings practicing this Truth.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
It means in the company of those who practice Truth. I.e Nanak, Gobind Ji, Saints, bhagats, His devotees.

When u start to practice Truth and live in that frequency, you begin to realise more and more what this refers to. You gravitate towards other bhagats and saints and your heart begins to open to them as truth works through them. You begin to realise that not only do u practice Truth, but you ARE the truth.

You begin to see Truth everywhere, God in everything. The saadh sangat is the company of self realising and accepting beings practicing this Truth.

Do you actively seek out bhagats and saints to hang out with? How can you tell they are such? Must they be Sikhs?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Does this shabad (ang 105) suggest that the Sadh Sangat is the company of God? I notice the Gurmukhi is not strictly 'sadh sangat' - it's a variation I don't see often, so maybe there's a subtle difference in this shabad that the translator didn't capture?

Other shabads I read about sadh sangat suggest it brings blessings like those from Naam (which is similarly an acute awareness of God's presence / reality in everything).

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ
Mājẖ mėhlā 5.
Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

ਚਰਣ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਸਮਾਣੇ
Cẖaraṇ ṯẖākur ke riḏai samāṇe.
I cherish in my heart the Feet of my Lord and Master.

ਕਲਿ ਕਲੇਸ ਸਭ ਦੂਰਿ ਪਇਆਣੇ
Kal kales sabẖ ḏūr pa▫i▫āṇe.
All my troubles and sufferings have run away.

ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸੂਖ ਸਹਜ ਧੁਨਿ ਉਪਜੀ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਨਿਵਾਸਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥
Sāʼnṯ sūkẖ sahj ḏẖun upjī sāḏẖū sang nivāsā jī▫o. ||1||
The music of intuitive peace, poise and tranquility wells up within; I dwell in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. ||1||

ਲਾਗੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਤੂਟੈ ਮੂਲੇ
Lāgī parīṯ na ṯūtai mūle.
The bonds of love with the Lord are never broken.

ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰੇ
Har anṯar bāhar rahi▫ā bẖarpūre.
The Lord is totally permeating and pervading inside and out.

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਾ ਕਾਟੀ ਜਮ ਕੀ ਫਾਸਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
Simar simar simar guṇ gāvā kātī jam kī fāsā jī▫o. ||2||
Meditating, meditating, meditating in remembrance on Him, singing His Glorious Praises, the noose of death is cut away. ||2||

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵਰਖੈ ਅਨਹਦ ਬਾਣੀ
Amriṯ varkẖai anhaḏ baṇī.
The Ambrosial Nectar, the Unstruck Melody of Gurbani rains down continually;

ਮਨ ਤਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ
Man ṯan anṯar sāʼnṯ samāṇī.
deep within my mind and body, peace and tranquility have come.

ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਅਘਾਇ ਰਹੇ ਜਨ ਤੇਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਕੀਆ ਦਿਲਾਸਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
Ŧaripaṯ agẖā▫e rahe jan ṯere saṯgur kī▫ā ḏilāsā jī▫o. ||3||
Your humble servants remain satisfied and fulfilled, and the True Guru blesses them with encouragement and comfort. ||3||

ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਸਾ ਤਿਸ ਤੇ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇਆ
Jis kā sā ṯis ṯe fal pā▫i▫ā.
We are His, and from Him, we receive our rewards.

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ
Kar kirpā parabẖ sang milā▫i▫ā.
Showering His Mercy upon us, God has united us with Him.

ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣ ਰਹੇ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਪੂਰਨ ਆਸਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੩੧॥੩੮॥
Āvaṇ jāṇ rahe vadbẖāgī Nānak pūran āsā jī▫o. ||4||31||38||
Our comings and goings have ended, and through great good fortune, O Nanak, our hopes are fulfilled. ||4||31||38||

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
And then there is this shabad which is all about the mind and simran. Suddenly making reference to a congregation or the necessity to have other people to enable a person to dwell with God doesn't seem to keep with the theme. I'm not convinced it's talking about literal company of people. Its a long one starting on ang 79.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਮਾਲੇ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā gobinḏ nām samāle.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, reflect upon the Name of the Lord of the Universe.

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਿਬਹੈ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਲੇ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī miṯrā har nibhai ṯerai nāle.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, the Lord shall always be with you.

ਸੰਗਿ ਸਹਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਕੋਇ ਜਾਏ
Sang sahā▫ī har nām ḏẖi▫ā▫ī birthā ko▫e na jā▫e.
The Name of the Lord shall be with you as your Helper and Support. Meditate on Him-no one who does so shall ever return empty-handed.

ਮਨ ਚਿੰਦੇ ਸੇਈ ਫਲ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਚਰਣ ਕਮਲ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਏ
Man cẖinḏe se▫ī fal pāvahi cẖaraṇ kamal cẖiṯ lā▫e.
You shall obtain the fruits of your mind's desires, by focusing your consciousness on the Lord's Lotus Feet.

ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਬਨਵਾਰੀ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲੇ
Jal thal pūr rahi▫ā banvārī gẖat gẖat naḏar nihāle.
He is totally pervading the water and the land; He is the Lord of the World-forest. Behold Him in exaltation in each and every heart.

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਇ ਮਨ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਜਾਲੇ ॥੧॥
Nānak sikẖ ḏe▫e man parīṯam sāḏẖsang bẖaram jāle. ||1||
Nanak gives this advice: O beloved mind, in the Company of the Holy, burn away your doubts. ||1||

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਪਸਾਰੇ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī miṯrā har bin jẖūṯẖ pasāre.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, without the Lord, all outward show is false.

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਬਿਖੁ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੇ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā bikẖ sāgar sansāre.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, the world is an ocean of poison.

ਚਰਣ ਕਮਲ ਕਰਿ ਬੋਹਿਥੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਸਹਸਾ ਦੂਖੁ ਬਿਆਪੈ
Cẖaraṇ kamal kar bohith karṯe sahsā ḏūkẖ na bi▫āpai.
Let the Lord's Lotus Feet be your Boat, so that pain and skepticism shall not touch you.

ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਭੇਟੈ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜਾਪੈ
Gur pūrā bẖetai vadbẖāgī āṯẖ pahar parabẖ jāpai.
Meeting with the Perfect Guru, by great good fortune, meditate on God twenty-four hours a day.

ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦੀ ਸੇਵਕ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਭਗਤਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੇ
Āḏ jugāḏī sevak su▫āmī bẖagṯā nām aḏẖāre.
From the very beginning, and throughout the ages, He is the Lord and Master of His servants. His Name is the Support of His devotees.

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਇ ਮਨ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਝੂਠ ਪਸਾਰੇ ॥੨॥
Nānak sikẖ ḏe▫e man parīṯam bin har jẖūṯẖ pasāre. ||2||
Nanak gives this advice: O beloved mind, without the Lord, all outward show is false. ||2||

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਲਦੇ ਖੇਪ ਸਵਲੀ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā har laḏe kẖep savlī.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, load the profitable cargo of the Lord's Name.

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਦਰੁ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਮਲੀ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā har ḏar nihcẖal malī.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, enter through the eternal Door of the Lord.

ਹਰਿ ਦਰੁ ਸੇਵੇ ਅਲਖ ਅਭੇਵੇ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਆਸਣੁ ਪਾਇਆ
Har ḏar seve alakẖ abẖeve nihcẖal āsaṇ pā▫i▫ā.
One who serves at the Door of the Imperceptible and Unfathomable Lord, obtains this eternal position.

ਤਹ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣੁ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣਾ ਸੰਸਾ ਦੂਖੁ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ
Ŧah janam na maraṇ na āvaṇ jāṇā sansā ḏūkẖ mitā▫i▫ā.
There is no birth or death there, no coming or going; anguish and anxiety are ended.

ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਗੁਪਤ ਕਾ ਕਾਗਦੁ ਫਾਰਿਆ ਜਮਦੂਤਾ ਕਛੂ ਚਲੀ
Cẖiṯar gupaṯ kā kāgaḏ fāri▫ā jamḏūṯā kacẖẖū na cẖalī.
The accounts of Chitr and Gupt, the recording scribes of the conscious and the subconscious are torn up, and the Messenger of Death cannot do anything.

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਇ ਮਨ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਹਰਿ ਲਦੇ ਖੇਪ ਸਵਲੀ ॥੩॥
Nānak sikẖ ḏe▫e man parīṯam har laḏe kẖep savlī. ||3||
Nanak gives this advice: O beloved mind, load the profitable cargo of the Lord's Name. ||3||

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਤਾ ਸੰਗਿ ਨਿਵਾਸੋ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā kar sanṯā sang nivāso.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, abide in the Society of the Saints.

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਪਰਗਾਸੋ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā har nām japaṯ pargāso.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, chanting the Lord's Name, the Divine Light shines within.

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸੁਖਹ ਗਾਮੀ ਇਛ ਸਗਲੀ ਪੁੰਨੀਆ
Simar su▫āmī sukẖah gāmī icẖẖ saglī punnī▫ā.
Remember your Lord and Master, who is easily obtained, and all desires shall be fulfilled.

ਪੁਰਬੇ ਕਮਾਏ ਸ੍ਰੀਰੰਗ ਪਾਏ ਹਰਿ ਮਿਲੇ ਚਿਰੀ ਵਿਛੁੰਨਿਆ
Purbe kamā▫e sarīrang pā▫e har mile cẖirī vicẖẖunni▫ā.
By my past actions, I have found the Lord, the Greatest Lover. Separated from Him for so long, I am united with Him again.

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸਰਬਤਿ ਰਵਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਬਿਸੁਆਸੋ
Anṯar bāhar sarbaṯ ravi▫ā man upji▫ā bisu▫āso.
Inside and out, He is pervading everywhere. Faith in Him has welled up within my mind.

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਿਖ ਦੇਇ ਮਨ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਤਾ ਸੰਗਿ ਨਿਵਾਸੋ ॥੪॥
Nānak sikẖ ḏe▫e man parīṯam kar sanṯā sang nivāso. ||4||
Nanak gives this advice: O beloved mind, let the Society of the Saints be your dwelling. ||4||

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਮਨੁ ਲੀਨਾ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā har parem bẖagaṯ man līnā.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, let your mind remain absorbed in loving devotion to the Lord.

ਮਨ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਜੀਉ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਜਲ ਮਿਲਿ ਜੀਵੇ ਮੀਨਾ
Man pi▫āri▫ā jī▫o miṯrā har jal mil jīve mīnā.
O dear beloved mind, my friend, the fish of the mind lives only when it is immersed in the Water of the Lord.

ਹਰਿ ਪੀ ਆਘਾਨੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਨੇ ਸ੍ਰਬ ਸੁਖਾ ਮਨ ਵੁਠੇ
Har pī āgẖāne amriṯ bāne sarab sukẖā man vuṯẖe.
Drinking in the Lord's Ambrosial Bani, the mind is satisfied, and all pleasures come to abide within.

ਸ੍ਰੀਧਰ ਪਾਏ ਮੰਗਲ ਗਾਏ ਇਛ ਪੁੰਨੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੁਠੇ
Sarīḏẖar pā▫e mangal gā▫e icẖẖ punnī saṯgur ṯuṯẖe.
Attaining the Lord of Excellence, I sing the Songs of Joy. The True Guru, becoming merciful, has fulfilled my desires.

ਲੜਿ ਲੀਨੇ ਲਾਏ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਪਾਏ ਨਾਉ ਸਰਬਸੁ ਠਾਕੁਰਿ ਦੀਨਾ
Laṛ līne lā▫e na▫o niḏẖ pā▫e nā▫o sarbas ṯẖākur ḏīnā.
He has attached me to the hem of His robe, and I have obtained the nine treasures. My Lord and Master has bestowed His Name, which is everything to me.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਿਖ ਸੰਤ ਸਮਝਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਮਨੁ ਲੀਨਾ ॥੫॥੧॥੨॥
Nānak sikẖ sanṯ samjẖā▫ī har parem bẖagaṯ man līnā. ||5||1||2||
Nanak instructs the Saints to teach, that the mind is imbued with loving devotion to the Lord. ||5||1||2||

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

ਚਰਣ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਸਮਾਣੇ
Cẖaraṇ ṯẖākur ke riḏai samāṇe.
I cherish in my heart the Feet of my Lord and Master

This is misleading, non contemplated meaning. Some keeps the feet pictures of saints and start imagining and remembering by that. This is reality and happening. We practice our thoughts.

Feet of My Lord. It is like translating hindi or gurmukhi to english. All tikas shall have WARNING, that this is authors personal opinion and one shall read and contemplated by own self. One shall read and cintemplate with GURUs Bani and Mahakosh. Tikas are misleading at many instances. They have generic misinterpretations.

One shall SELF REALISE WORD, as way to SADH, and destined like our destination or final reach is mind control.

CHARAN. Footsteps or Ways to Path for destiny or Destinaion

Thakur: Owner of our Memory and Body System.

Riday Samaney, Memorisation by Heart. Or learning through heart ie with feelings or realisation of WORD.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Do you actively seek out bhagats and saints to hang out with? How can you tell they are such? Must they be Sikhs?

I actively seek out sinners to hang out with, they are just so much more fun, and you know where you stand, true saints to hang out with are much harder to find, and given the choice, I prefer a sinner who calls themselves a sinner, than a sinner who calls themselves a saint

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Charan Kamal is Metaphor or Lotus feet, any reflective perceptions on text. ???

Mind is not accepting as Lotus Feet, gets no where in WORD analysis

Let the Lord's Lotus Feet be your Boat, so that pain and skepticism shall not touch you

You shall obtain the fruits of your mind's desires, by focusing your consciousness on the Lord's Lotus Feet.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Logical Sikh

Writer
SPNer
Sep 22, 2018
Sat Sri Akaal,

Charan Kamal is Metaphor or Lotus feet, any reflective perceptions on text. ???

Mind is not accepting as Lotus Feet, gets no where in WORD analysis

Let the Lord's Lotus Feet be your Boat, so that pain and skepticism shall not touch you

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Naah, mind is right its not lotus feet..... Its the knowledge, imo

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM