• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Review: Son Of Sardaar

Aug 28, 2012
Pune
Actor Ajay Devgn has come out in defence of his upcoming film Son of Sardaar saying that the content of the film projects the Sikh community in a positive manner and it will not hurt anyone’s sentiment. The All India Sikh Students Federation ( AISSF ) Tuesday urged the clergy to take action against the actor-producer, alleging that Son of Sardaar shows Sikhs in a bad light. The comedy has been co-produced by Viacom 18 Motion Pictures and Ajay Devgn Films.“My film Son of Sardaar does not hurt anybody’s sentiments. I’m from Punjab and I have lot of respect for the community and culture as anyone else and the last thing I would do is to hurt anyone. In fact, I’m very proud of the community,” Ajay said in a statement.Ajay insists that the film, directed by Ashwani Dhir, has been made under the guidance of “knowledgeable people”. “At no point you will findany element of disrespect. The protagonist of the film is a Sardar, so the film will showcase a very positive projection of the community. If you could just wait for the release and then come up with your comments and opinion. Trust me, we all will be proud of the film,” said the 43-year-old, whose roots are in Amritsar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
As a community we have been through so much, partition, 84, the various deras and babas, the drug problem in Punjab, etc etc.

Every second spent protesting against this, not only shows us as extremists without a sense of humour, (are we trying to give the Islamists a run for their money??), but takes precious time away from the important subjects that should be concerning us. We should be able to laugh at this, I cannot believe the effort and time spent on getting people worked up about this, somehow, compared with a the real life image of a Sardar with a burning tyre round his neck, and his wife being raped, it seems to lose any importance,

I still could not spot the offence, it was the moustache, right?

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think there should be awareness and at least we should avoid crap Bollywood movies which have no message or soul.

Bollywood should be asked to stop representing Sikhs at all and let the 2% be the 2%!

Last edited by a moderator:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q26p7K9IqGU

Here is what is so offensive about this... Look closely.

Look at positive side , Ajay devgan along with Akshay Kumar are 2 of the best Action heroes of Bollywood.First Akshay now Ajay Devgan is doing the role of Sardar with plenty of action.Upto now all the Sardars in India have sold their as comedians .Bollywood too have shown sardar image as comedian or sidekick .Now they are are showing them as heroes who can fight and do romance.This will be a big boost for sikh youths.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Ajay Devgn agreed to remove objectionable parts from Son of Sardar at Amritsar Meeting

Amritsar, Punjab (September 03, 2012): According to reports available with Sikh Siyasat film actors Ajay Devgan and Sanjay Dutt deliberated with SGPC members and others on the sacrilegious comments in their new movie Son of Sardar.

According to information Ajay Devgan has agreed to remove the contentious matter from the movie immediately.

Various sections of Sikh community had objected over some dialogues in the movie that tend to represent the Sikhs in bad light.

According to information today’s meeting was attended by by AISSF President Karnail Singh Peermohammand, Sikh Students Federation (Mehta Faction) President Parmjeet Singh Khalsa Sikh Students Federation (Grewal Faction) Gurcharn Singh Grewal, SGPC Member Rajinder Singh Mehta and Daljeet Singh Bedi, Balwinder Singh Jora, Amerjeet Aingh Chawla Bhai Ram Aingh (Member SGPC), Badal Dal leader Bikramjeet Singh Majithiya.

AISSF president Karnail Singh peer Mohammad in a press release sent to Sikh Siyasat has claimed to have raised many issues with Ajay Devgn. He said that film actors are considered as role model by common people and likewise movies are considered as the mirror of society. Similarly children tend to follow whatever they watch in movies.

As “Son of Sardar” shows Sikhs as the object for making jokes and the procurer of foul language it tend to present bad image of Sikhs before the society.

Peermohammad praised Ajay Devgn for making good films in past.

Peermohammad told Sikh Siyasat that he would be reporting the merits and demerits of the movie to the Akal Takht Sahib Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh. Final decision is in this matter lies with Giani Gurbachan Singh, said Peermohammad.

According to reports after the meeting Ajay Devgn addressed a Press Conference. Bikramjeet Singh Majithiya, Karnail Singh Peermohammand, Parmjeet Singh Khalsa and Gurcharan Singh Grewal were also present in the Press Conference and expressed satisfaction over expected peaceful resolution of the matter.

Addressing mediapersons, Devgn is reported by Hindustan Times (HT) to have said that: “The movie is about Sikhs. I am a Punjabi and hurting sentiments of Punjabis will mean hurting sentiments of my own family. I can never do that.”
“There were some promos on Youtube to which there were objections. Since I have great respect for the Sikh community, I have come here and shown them the promos and listened to their objections. I have promised to do the needful,” Devgn added.

He claimed that while making the film, great care was taken to ensure proper tying of the turban by the Sikh characters.

A person was flown about 20 times from Amritsar for the purpose,” he added.

“I have cleared the objections and explained everything about the film and the context of the portions about which there were objections. We shall remove the portions which needed to be removed to clear the objections,” he said, reports Times of India (TOI).

http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2012/09/...parts-from-son-of-sardar-at-amritsar-meeting/

Jul 1, 2012
i really wonder where is this so called AISSF and SGPC when sikhs are mocked very second and minute on TV channels of Punjab like etc punjabi, ptc punjabi, and so on.....every day there is a new song on punjabi channels showing all the vulgarity IN dress, lyrics and all types of anti-sikh acts like drinking n so on....i wonder what these organisatons have to say if ajay devgun points out that at least i've tied a turban n grown a beard.....whereas in punjabi channels our singers neither wear turban n even if keep beard that too french style or like that...its time for the so called managers of sikhism to first clean their own house and after that point figures on others........you people can not become managers of sikh religion by just telecasting live gurbaani from darbaar sahib four hrs a day and running all the vulgar n cheap stuff on the same channel for rest of 20 hrs.

Jul 1, 2012
i really wonder where is this so called AISSF and SGPC when sikhs are mocked very second and minute on TV channels of Punjab like etc punjabi, ptc punjabi, and so on.....every day there is a new song on punjabi channels showing all the vulgarity IN dress, lyrics and all types of anti-sikh acts like drinking n so on....i wonder what these organisatons have to say if ajay devgun points out that at least i've tied a turban n grown a beard.....whereas in punjabi channels our singers neither wear turban n even if keep beard that too french style or like that...its time for the so called managers of sikhism to first clean their own house and after that point finger on others........you people can not become managers of sikh religion by just telecasting live gurbaani from darbaar sahib four hrs a day and running all the vulgar n cheap stuff on the same channel for rest of 20 hrs.:whatzpointkudi::angryyoungsingh::whatzpointsing:

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
i really wonder where is this so called AISSF and SGPC when sikhs are mocked very second and minute on TV channels of Punjab like etc punjabi, ptc punjabi, and so on.....every day there is a new song on punjabi channels showing all the vulgarity IN dress, lyrics and all types of anti-sikh acts like drinking n so on....i wonder what these organisatons have to say if ajay devgun points out that at least i've tied a turban n grown a beard.....whereas in punjabi channels our singers neither wear turban n even if keep beard that too french style or like that...its time for the so called managers of sikhism to first clean their own house and after that point figures on others........you people can not become managers of sikh religion by just telecasting live gurbaani from darbaar sahib four hrs a day and running all the vulgar n cheap stuff on the same channel for rest of 20 hrs.

GuurPiyario Jios..

WELL SAID and Hit the Nail right on its HEAD.

The ROTTEN Part is at our PEAK....SGPC/Takhats/Historical Gurdwaras !! ROTTEN to the CORE. As they say..peehrree heth sota fero...but here imho..we need a BULLDOZER of IMMENSE POWER and SIZE to clean under their Peerrah !! Just too much Koorra karkatt...rubbish accumulated for past 60 years...

Isnt it strange NO one shouts DISRESPECT of GURBANI when the Pirate-T CHOR Station shows half naked girls and filthy songs on the same channel as Kirtan form Amritsar/Hazoor sahib..and MaHone has Sukhmani form hemkunt followed by half naked girls dancing on stage..Gurbani is for about 30%..FILTH is for 70% of telecast Time...and BTW Pirate-T-CHOR station hasnt Paid a single cent to sgpc...its called STEALING.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM