• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Remember Bani

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
In Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Guru Ji describes how Bhagti needed to be done.

We need to stay linked with bani all the time, we need to understand the value of the devotional worship.

English Translatonsof a Shabad from Gurbani:
That body, which forgets the Word of the Guru's Bani,
cries out in pain, like a chronic patient. ||1||
To speak too much and babble is useless.
Even without our speaking, He knows everything. ||1||Pause||

Source: SikhiToTheMax

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
we need to understand the value of the devotional worship.

Good going, Sardara Ji.

How to understand the surrender of ego? Maybe a Gurmukh can explain this to a Manmukh.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I didn't know that Bani is only for Gurmukhs.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Guru Ji tells in the following shabad that it is impossible for a Manmukh to understand the Truth. Read the Shabad yourself.

Gurbani Shabad:

isrIrwgu mhlw 1 ]
ry mn AYsI hir isau pRIiq kir jYsI jl kmlyih ]
lhrI nwil pCwVIAY BI ivgsY Asnyih ]
jl mih jIA aupwie kY ibnu jl mrxu iqnyih ]1]
mn ry ikau CUtih ibnu ipAwr ]
gurmuiK AMqir riv rihAw bKsy Bgiq BMfwr ]1] rhwau ]
ry mn AYsI hir isau pRIiq kir jYsI mCulI nIr ]
ijau AiDkau iqau suKu Gxo min qin sWiq srIr ]
ibnu jl GVI n jIveI pRBu jwxY AB pIr ]2]
ry mn AYsI hir isau pRIiq kir jYsI cwiqRk myh ]
sr Bir Ql hrIAwvly iek bUMd n pveI kyh ]
krim imlY so pweIAY ikrqu pieAw isir dyh ]3]
ry mn AYsI hir isau pRIiq kir jYsI jl duD hoie ]
Awvtxu Awpy KvY duD kau Kpix n dyie ]
Awpy myil ivCuMinAw sic vifAweI dyie ]4]
ry mn AYsI hir isau pRIiq kir jYsI ckvI sUr ]
iKnu plu nId n soveI jwxY dUir hjUir ]
mnmuiK soJI nw pvY gurmuiK sdw hjUir ]5]
mnmuiK gxq gxwvxI krqw kry su hoie ]
qw kI kImiq nw pvY jy locY sBu koie ]
gurmiq hoie q pweIAY sic imlY suKu hoie ]6]
scw nyhu n quteI jy siqguru BytY soie ]
igAwn pdwrQu pweIAY iqRBvx soJI hoie ]
inrmlu nwmu n vIsrY jy gux kw gwhku hoie ]7]
Kyil gey sy pMKxUM jo cugdy sr qil ]
GVI ik muhiq ik clxw Kylxu Aju ik kil ]
ijsu qUM mylih so imlY jwie scw ipVu mil ]8]
ibnu gur pRIiq n aUpjY haumY mYlu n jwie ]
sohM Awpu pCwxIAY sbid Byid pqIAwie ]
gurmuiK Awpu pCwxIAY Avr ik kry krwie ]9]
imilAw kw ikAw mylIAY sbid imly pqIAwie ]
mnmuiK soJI nw pvY vICuiV cotw Kwie ]
nwnk dru Gru eyku hY Avru n dUjI jwie ]10]11]

English Translations:
Siree Raag, First Mehl:
O mind, love the Lord, as the lotus loves the water.
Tossed about by the waves, it still blossoms with love.
In the water, the creatures are created; outside of the water they die. ||1||
O mind, how can you be saved without love?
God permeates the inner beings of the Gurmukhs. They are blessed with the treasure of devotion. ||1||Pause||
O mind, love the Lord, as the fish loves the water.
The more the water, the more the happiness, and the greater the peace of mind and body.
Without water, she cannot live, even for an instant. God knows the suffering of her mind. ||2||
O mind, love the Lord, as the song-bird loves the rain.
The pools are overflowing with water, and the land is luxuriantly green, but what are they to her, if that single drop of rain does not fall into her mouth?
By His Grace, she receives it; otherwise, because of her past actions, she gives her head. ||3||
O mind, love the Lord, as the water loves the milk.
The water, added to the milk, itself bears the heat, and prevents the milk from burning.
God unites the separated ones with Himself again, and blesses them with true greatness. ||4||
O mind, love the Lord, as the chakvee duck loves the sun.
She does not sleep, for an instant or a moment; the sun is so far away, but she thinks that it is near.
Understanding does not come to the self-willed manmukh. But to the Gurmukh, the Lord is always close. ||5||
The self-willed manmukhs make their calculations and plans, but only the actions of the Creator come to pass.
His Value cannot be estimated, even though everyone may wish to do so.
Through the Guru's Teachings, it is revealed. Meeting with the True One, peace is found. ||6||
True love shall not be broken, if the True Guru is met.
Obtaining the wealth of spiritual wisdom, the understanding of the three worlds is acquired.
So become a customer of merit, and do not forget the Immaculate Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||7||
Those birds which peck at the shore of the pool have played and have departed.
In a moment, in an instant, we too must depart. Our play is only for today or tomorrow.
But those whom You unite, Lord, are united with You; they obtain a seat in the Arena of Truth. ||8||
Without the Guru, love does not well up, and the filth of egotism does not depart.
One who recognizes within himself that, ""He is me"", and who is pierced through by the Shabad, is satisfied.
When one becomes Gurmukh and realizes his own self, what more is there left to do or have done? ||9||
Why speak of union to those who are already united with the Lord? Receiving the Shabad, they are satisfied.
The self-willed manmukhs do not understand; separated from Him, they endure beatings.
O Nanak, there is only the one door to His Home; there is no other place at all. ||10||11||

source: SikhiToTheMax

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
How does a Manmukh become a Gurmukh ?

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Guru Ji tells the way in the following Shabad. If you want to know How.

Gurbani Shabad:

mwJ mhlw 5 ]
kauxu su mukqw kauxu su jugqw ]
kauxu su igAwnI kauxu su bkqw ]
kauxu su igrhI kauxu audwsI kauxu su kImiq pwey jIau ]1]
ikin ibiD bwDw ikin ibiD CUtw ]
ikin ibiD Awvxu jwvxu qUtw ]
kaux krm kaux inhkrmw kauxu su khY khwey jIau ]2]
kauxu su suKIAw kauxu su duKIAw ]
kauxu su snmuKu kauxu vymuKIAw ]
ikin ibiD imlIAY ikin ibiD ibCurY ieh ibiD kauxu pRgtwey jIau ]3]
kauxu su AKru ijqu Dwvqu rhqw ]
kauxu aupdysu ijqu duKu suKu sm shqw ]
kauxu su cwl ijqu pwrbRhmu iDAwey ikin ibiD kIrqnu gwey jIau ]4]
gurmuiK mukqw gurmuiK jugqw ]
gurmuiK igAwnI gurmuiK bkqw ]
DMnu igrhI audwsI gurmuiK gurmuiK kImiq pwey jIau ]5]
haumY bwDw gurmuiK CUtw ]
gurmuiK Awvxu jwvxu qUtw ]
gurmuiK krm gurmuiK inhkrmw gurmuiK kry su suBwey jIau ]6]
gurmuiK suKIAw mnmuiK duKIAw ]
gurmuiK snmuKu mnmuiK vymuKIAw ]
gurmuiK imlIAY mnmuiK ivCurY gurmuiK ibiD pRgtwey jIau ]7]
gurmuiK AKru ijqu Dwvqu rhqw ]
gurmuiK aupdysu duKu suKu sm shqw ]
gurmuiK cwl ijqu pwrbRhmu iDAwey gurmuiK kIrqnu gwey jIau ]8]
sglI bxq bxweI Awpy ]
Awpy kry krwey Qwpy ]
ieksu qy hoieE Anµqw nwnk eyksu mwih smwey jIau ]9]2]36]

English Translation:
Maajh, Fifth Mehl:
Who is liberated, and who is united?
Who is a spiritual teacher, and who is a preacher?
Who is a house-holder, and who is a renunciate? Who can estimate the Lord's Value? ||1||
How is one bound, and how is one freed of his bonds?
How can one escape from the cycle of coming and going in reincarnation?
Who is subject to karma, and who is beyond karma? Who chants the Name, and inspires others to chant it? ||2||
Who is happy, and who is sad?
Who, as sunmukh, turns toward the Guru, and who, as vaymukh, turns away from the Guru?
How can one meet the Lord? How is one separated from Him? Who can reveal the way to me? ||3||
What is that Word, by which the wandering mind can be restrained?
What are those teachings, by which we may endure pain and pleasure alike?
What is that lifestyle, by which we may come to meditate on the Supreme Lord? How may we sing the Kirtan of His Praises? ||4||
The Gurmukh is liberated, and the Gurmukh is linked.
The Gurmukh is the spiritual teacher, and the Gurmukh is the preacher.
Blessed is the Gurmukh, the householder and the renunciate. The Gurmukh knows the Lord's Value. ||5||
Egotism is bondage; as Gurmukh, one is emancipated.
The Gurmukh escapes the cycle of coming and going in reincarnation.
The Gurmukh performs actions of good karma, and the Gurmukh is beyond karma. Whatever the Gurmukh does, is done in good faith. ||6||
The Gurmukh is happy, while the self-willed manmukh is sad.
The Gurmukh turns toward the Guru, and the self-willed manmukh turns away from the Guru.
The Gurmukh is united with the Lord, while the manmukh is separated from Him. The Gurmukh reveals the way. ||7||
The Guru's Instruction is the Word, by which the wandering mind is restrained.
Through the Guru's Teachings, we can endure pain and pleasure alike.
To live as Gurmukh is the lifestyle by which we come to meditate on the Supreme Lord. The Gurmukh sings the Kirtan of His Praises. ||8||
The Lord Himself created the entire creation.
He Himself acts, and causes others to act. He Himself establishes.
From oneness, He has brought forth the countless multitudes. O Nanak, they shall merge into the One once again. ||9||2||36||

source:SikhiToTheMax

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Punjabi translations for the above Shabad:

auh kyhVw mnu`K hY jo mwieAw dy bMDnW qoN Awzwd rihMdw hY qy pRBU dy crnW ivc juiVAw rihMdw hY? auh kyhVw mnu`K hY jo prmwqmw nwl fUMGI sWJ pweI r`Kdw hY qy aus dI is&iq-swlwh krdw rihMdw hY? (suc`jw) igRhsqI kOx ho skdw hY? mwieAw qoN inrlyp kOx hY? auh kyhVw mnu`K hY jo (mnu`Kw jnm dI) kdr smJdw hY? [1[
mnu`K (mwieAw dy moh dy bMDnW ivc) ikvyN b`J jWdw hY qy ikvyN (auhnW bMDnW qoN) suqMqr huMdw hY? iks qrIky nwl jnm mrn dw gyV mu`kdw hY? suc`jy kMm kyhVy hn? auh kyhVw mnu`K hY jo dunIAw ivc ivcrdw hoieAw BI vwsnw-rihq hY? auh kyhVw mnu`K hY jo Awp is&iq-swlwh krdw hY qy (hornW pwsoN) krWdw hY? [2[
suKI jIvn vwlw kOx hY? kOx du`KW ivc iGirAw hoieAw hY? snmuK iks ƒ ikhw jWdw hY? bymuK iks ƒ AwKIdw hY? pRBU-crnW ivc iks qrHW iml skIdw hY? mnu`K pRBU qoN ikvyN iv`CuV jWdw hY? ieh jwc kOx isKWdw hY? [3[
auh kyhVw Sbd hY ijs dI rwhIN ivkwrW vl dOVdw mn itk jWdw hY? auh kyhVw aupdyS hY ijs au~qy qur ky mnu`K du`K suK ieko ijhy shwr skdw hY? auh kyhVw jIvn-FMg hY ijs nwl mnu`K prmwqmw ƒ ismr sky? iks qrHW prmwqmw dI is&iq-swlwh krdw rhy? [4[
gurU dy d`sy rwh qy qurn vwlw mnu`K mwieAw dy bMDnW qoN Awzwd rihMdw hY qy prmwqmw dI Xwd ivc juiVAw rihMdw hY [ gurU dI srn ivc rihx vwlw mnu`K hI prmwqmw nwl fUMGI sWJ pWdw hY qy pRBU dI is&iq-swlwh krdw hY [ gurU dy snmuK rihx vwlw mnu`K hI BwgW vwlw igRhsq hY, auh dunIAw dI ikrq-kwr krdw hoieAw BI inrlyp rihMdw hY [ auhI mnu`Kw jnm dI kdr smJdw hY [5[
(Awpxy mn dy ip`Cy qur ky mnu`K AwpxI hI) haumY dy kwrn (mwieAw dy bMDnW ivc) b`J jWdw hY, gurU dI srn pY ky (iehnW bMDnW qoN) Awzwd ho jWdw hY [ gurU dy d`sy rwh au~qy quirAW mnu`K dw jnm mrn dw gyV mu`k jWdw hY [ gurU dy snmuK rih ky hI suc`jy kMm ho skdy hn [ gurU dy snmuK rihx vwlw mnu`K dunIAw dI ikrq-kwr krdw hoieAw hI vwsnw rihq rihMdw hY [ Ajyhw mnu`K jo kuJ BI krdw hY pRBU dy pRym ivc itk ky krdw hY [6[
gurU dy snmuK rihx vwlw mnu`K suKI jIvn vwlw hY, pr Awpxy mn dy ip`Cy qurn vwlw mnu`K in`q duKI rihMdw hY [ gurU dy d`sy rwh qy qurn vwlw mnu`K prmwqmw vl mUMh r`Kx vwlw hY, Awpxy mn dy ip`Cy qurn vwlw bMdw r`b vloN mUMh moVI r`Kdw hY [ gurU dy snmuK irhW prmwqmw ƒ iml skIdw hY, Awpxy mn dy ip`Cy qurn vwlw bMdw prmwqmw qoN iv`CuV jWdw hY [ gurU dy snmuK rihx vwlw mnu`K hI (shI jIvn dI) jwc isKWdw hY [7[
gurU dy mUMhoN inkilAw Sbd hI auh bol hY ijs dI brkiq nwl ivkwrW vl dOVdw mn Klo jWdw hY, gurU qoN imilAw aupdyS hI (ieh smr`Qw r`Kdw hY ik mnu`K aus dy Awsry) duK suK ƒ ieko ijhw kr ky shwrdw hY [ gurU dy rwh qy qurnw hI AjyhI jIvn cwl hY ik ies dI rwhIN mnu`K prmwqmw dw iDAwn Dr skdw hY qy prmwqmw dI is&iq-swlwh krdw hY [8[
(pr gurmuK qy mnmuK—ieh) swrI bxqr prmwqmw ny Awp hI bxweI hY, (sB jIvW ivc ivAwpk ho ky) auh Awp hI sB kuJ krdw hY qy (jIvW pwsoN) krWdw hY, auh Awp hI jgq dI swrI Kyf clw irhw hY [
hy nwnk! auh Awp hI Awpxy ie`k srUp qoN byAMq rUpW rMgW vwlw bixAw hoieAw hY [ (ieh swrw bhu rMgI jgq) aus ie`k ivc hI lIn ho jWdw hY [8[2[36[

source: Gurugranthdarpan

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Let me get this straight. Are we supposed to understand the 1430 pages of Sri Granth as a manual/instruction

OR

consider the manual/instructions as the Guru ?

My queries are genuine on behalf of new sikhs or/and enquirers of sikhism.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Sorry naamjap ji,

Please Go ahead and deleat every post you think I made too much, You are the leader, what is stopping you from doing that?

Under Gurmat Vichaar, Gurbani will be coming. All 1430 pages, again and again.

Gurbani is Guru.

Thanks

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Perhaps someone else can provide an appropriate answer. Sardara123 Ji, I respect your decision to keep mum on giving your views.

Jul 10, 2006
Let me get this straight. Are we supposed to understand the 1430 pages of Sri Granth as a manual/instruction

OR

What a "odd" question and oddly worded one at that too!. You really think a 'new' Sikh would ask a question in this manner?

Naamjap do you really think of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as a mere manual/instructions like one for operating a microwave oven?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If I knew the answer, I wouldn't raise such a question. Sant Singh Maskeen mentioned in one of his kathas that if a question is not answered, it remains authentic. So Kaur-1 Ji, please attempt to answer the question.

Jul 10, 2006

OR

Naamjap ji, from several of your previous post, it seems that you are knowledgeable about Gur Sikhi.

Please think as to the way you have "stamped" Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as mere 'pages' of manual/instructions.!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
How should I rephrase a valid question without loosing its intention for clear understanding ? I have no intention of stamping SGGS as a manual of instructions. But nobody seems to be able to give clear answers to new sikhs. Yet everyone else knows gurbani at the tip of their fingers. There's a missing link.

Jan 6, 2007
UK
If I knew the answer, I wouldn't raise such a question. Sant Singh Maskeen mentioned in one of his kathas that if a question is not answered, it remains authentic. So Kaur-1 Ji, please attempt to answer the question.

Naamjap ji,

There is an answer to all your questions. It is just that not all visitors/members are mature enough to face the truth. This is why such questions either remain unanswered or are communicated one to one. So do not expect Kaur-1 to repond to it in a sensible manner. She is more of a cautionary type and I by answering do not want to upset her mental balance.

What is your thought on this matter? You may not want to answer in the forum in the fear of getting a mouthfulls of cautionary advice. So feel free to PM me if you wish.

The issue of stamping came up once when a women posed a question to a Kathakar. She said something to the effect that whom you call a Guru, I have witnessed the binder putting his knee on it several times. How do you expect me to bow to the very "Book" that you call Guru?

There was a reply to it. Perhaps Kaur-1 would like to contribute to this. One cannot expect to ask Sardara123 to contribute as he may still be feeding.

Kind Regards

Ekmusafir_ajnabi

Code Blue: We are definitely in the zone of sarcasm and that makes conversation personal and unique. But we are also on the cusp of negative personal attributions and name-calling. This has a chilling effect on open forum dialog.Yes, private messages provide a clear channel for other forms of communication. Mod Warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Going back to this concern: How should I rephrase a valid question without loosing its intention for clear understanding ? I have no intention of stamping SGGS as a manual of instructions. But nobody seems to be able to give clear answers to new sikhs. Yet everyone else knows gurbani at the tip of their fingers. There's a missing link...

Maybe other forum members old and new would like to share their understanding.

Thanks NamJap

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
There is an answer to all your questions. It is just that not all visitors/members are mature enough to face the truth. This is why such questions either remain unanswered or are communicated one to one. So do not expect Kaur-1 to repond to it in a sensible manner. She is more of a cautionary type and I by answering do not want to upset her mental balance.

Kaur-1 is quite sensible and spiritual girl which is rare to find these days.Its better for you not to read any of posts On SPN or it will upset your mental balance.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Naamjap ji,

What is your thought on this matter? You may not want to answer in the forum in the fear of getting a mouthfulls of cautionary advice. So feel free to PM me if you wish.

The issue of stamping came up once when a women posed a question to a Kathakar. She said something to the effect that whom you call a Guru, I have witnessed the binder putting his knee on it several times. How do you expect me to bow to the very "Book" that you call Guru?

There was a reply to it. Perhaps Kaur-1 would like to contribute to this. One cannot expect to ask Sardara123 to contribute as he may still be feeding.

Kind Regards

Ekmusafir_ajnabi

Code Blue: We are definitely in the zone of sarcasm and that makes conversation personal and unique. But we are also on the cusp of negative personal attributions and name-calling. This has a chilling effect on open forum dialog.Yes, private messages provide a clear channel for other forms of communication. Mod Warning.

Ekmusafir Ji,

I think it is a good Idea if you could PM me your answer. Please do not pass any remarks on others. You have received a Code Blue Mod Warning, so take it seriously.

I have nothing against anyone. I think highly of Kaur-1 eventhough she has scolded me and you, Ek Ji. From her viewpoint she was correct. Don't take pangga with her. She has the wisdom to avoid an argument and keep her cool. I even thanked her for helping me take care of Jawanmard, a Shia - Member at sikhawareness.com

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Since Bani and Naam are the same. Today I am going to share the following words of Guru Ji with those who are interested in Gurbani. Here Guru Ji talks about the effect of forgetting the Naam.

Nanak Bani Nirankaar Paarbrahm Parmesar
Waho Waho Bani Nirankaar Hai Tis Jevad Avar Na Koi
SGGS JI ANG 186
SATGURU PRASAAD

ਦੂਖੁ ਰੋਗੁ ਸੋਗੁ ਬਿਸਰੈ ਜਬ ਨਾਮੁ ॥
dhookh rog sog bisarai jab naam ||
Pain, disease and sorrow come when one forgets the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

SGGS JI ANG 225
SATGURU PRASAAD

ਪਤਿ ਮਤਿ ਖੋਵਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰੀ ॥੪॥
path math khovehi naam visaaree ||4||
Honor and good sense are lost, when one forgets the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||4||

Gurbani eis jag meh chaanan
Gurbani alakh lakhiayaa
Gurbani Gavo Bhaee
charan kamal parabh kay nit Dhi-aava-o

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM