• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Real Men Don’t Shave

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I found this article on net.its quite interesting.

REAL MEN DON’T SHAVE » DC Bachelor
REAL MEN DON’T SHAVE
By DCB

I’ve always hated shaving, one of many things I’ve done on auto-pilot for no particular conscious reason other than it’s something I’m supposed to do. Why do most men perform a daily act that is so anti-skin and anti-man? There are two reasons:

1. Men shave to appear presentable to their boss or manager. A scruffy appearance doesn’t match well with Dockers khakis and a button-down.

2. Men shave to satisfy women. I’ve gotten many complaints from women that my manly stubble irritates their chin, so there was actually a time period where I cared and would shave for them before hot date nights. Obviously this was before I became a real man.

From these two points you may agree that men shave for others. But if you consider that the main purpose of work for men is to earn enough wealth and material possessions to impress or provide for a woman, only one conclusion remains: men shave for women.

Take a look at the 1970’s when hippie culture was strong in this country. Did men shave? For the answer just ask your dad for pictures of when he was in his twenties. Chances are the manly essence that is facial hair flows from his face without restraint. Many men didn’t even cut their hair during this period. It was not until the feminist movement gained strength did men start to go from freely displaying their hair to being almost embarrassed of it.

If you want to study cultures where women are treated poorly and men dominate society, the Middle East is probably a good place to start. There, women are forced to cover their entire bodies with cloth and are subjected to various inhumane punishments. Turn on the television to a report about Saudi Arabia and you will see one thing in common with most of the men: unshaven facial hair. I don’t suggest we treat women poorly, but this example shows that men who care little about what a woman thinks will never shave. There is no need to.

I haven’t met a man who liked to shave, for as a gender we’re not born with the urge to get rid of our body hair. We do it because society tells us that an unshaven face is not acceptable. The line between what is masculine and feminine is becoming so blurry that solely feminine acts only a decade ago, such as eyebrow plucking, are now practiced by both genders. I wish for the day when I can go to the beach with my little brothers and we can all be proud of our full hair coverage, while making fun of the American men who not only bring a razor to their face, but to their body as well.

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Re: Real Men Don’t Shave

Nice Article KDS ji,
True that no one likes to shave and mostly people shave or trim cos of societal pressures and mostly unconsciously...
I really have great respect for people who don't bow to this pressure and take their decisions consciously... Even if it is just not shaving or trimming their hair...
I have been observing for some time now and when I have seen people closely I felt that people who keep hair clean and flowing look more graceful if they are well dressed and clean than people who are shaven or who trim or who stick their beard with glue... No disrespect to anyone.. This is purely my personal observation lately.

jag69

SPNer
Sep 21, 2006
Interesting thing about treatment of women by muslims equals lack of hair. Think you are clutching at straws here...not being disrespectful. In Sweden men shave and treat their women well. So there is no causal effect here.

Why does one shave...cause I look so much better without a beard than with a beard. A beard is uncomfortable. Of course if you lived in a humid hot country then you may reconsider your reasoning.

Dec 8, 2005
Toronto

Why does one shave...cause I look so much better without a beard than with a beard. A beard is uncomfortable. Of course if you lived in a humid hot country then you may reconsider your reasoning.

Your explanation why you shave shows that you shave because you are under pressure to look good to those people whose idea of looking good is linked to shaving.

If keeping beard is uncomfortable then what about the discomfort and wastage of time to shave daily

What is your view about the sikhs in India which is very hot and humid country?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Your explanation why you shave shows that you shave because you are under pressure to look good to those people whose idea of looking good is linked to shaving.

If keeping beard is uncomfortable then what about the discomfort and wastage of time to shave daily

He can't answer to those because he is blinded by media.

Apr 4, 2007

If you want to study cultures where women are treated poorly and men dominate society, the Middle East is probably a good place to start. There, women are forced to cover their entire bodies with cloth and are subjected to various inhumane punishments. Turn on the television to a report about Saudi Arabia and you will see one thing in common with most of the men: unshaven facial hair. I don’t suggest we treat women poorly, but this example shows that men who care little about what a woman thinks will never shave. There is no need to.

this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. muslim men keep beards for religious reasons, not because they oppress women.

A beard is uncomfortable.

as i understand, it's only uncomfortable when it's in the process of growing in. so if you don't repeatedly shave it off, it should be fine. :)

Last edited:

jag69

SPNer
Sep 21, 2006

Somehow your own vain attempt to involve the media into my perceptions of looking good are wrong and outrageous. Typical that you do not ask the question...just like to make a statement that is completely untrue. I could say you are blinded by your own misconceptions. I am the last person who would EVER listen to the media or others in society about fashion or culture. The media is the worst form of educating one self...and i beleive for you to draw that conclusion shows your own inadequacies and they are far greater than mine.

Shaving does take time...and rather do without it....but you can say that about anything! How often do you eat?

India is hot and humid, that there is a large portion of the population does not have beards.

jag69

SPNer
Sep 21, 2006

Waste of time shaving? What about the maintenance of the beard. I forever see people touching, tieing into knots, combing, oiling. And personal appearance (as the gurus said is paramount importance), requires "wastage" of time.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM