• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Rape Accused Granthi Should Be Hanged: SGPC

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Accused granthi should be hanged: SGPC
Charu Chhibber
Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, July 29
Shocked at the alleged rape of a minor girl by a granthi on the premises of a local gurdwara, the SGPC has demanded capital punishment for the accused.

Talking to The Tribune, SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar said the incident had sent shock waves across the nation and called for exemplary punishment to the accused.

"Such incidents are a violation of the sanctum sanctorum of religious places and shake the faith of the people in religious workers. The granthi should be hanged," Makkar said.

He added that in addition to the punishment that the court would mete out to the accused granthi, the SGPC would also direct the gurdwara committee to take "strictest possible action against him".

On July 27, Amanpreet Singh (28 ), granthi of Gurdwara Sahib Sherpur Khurd, had allegedly raped a nine-year-old girl when she had gone to the gurdwara pay obeisance along with her elder sister.

The accused had sent the victim's elder sister home after giving her food. He then took the victim to a room and allegedly raped her. The incident had occurred around 9 am, following which, the accused fled.

The girl reached her home and narrated the incident to her parents. She reportedly collapsed while narrating her woes and was rushed to the Civil Hospital in a critical condition.

On interrogation, the gurdwara authorities had expressed ignorance about the whereabouts of the accused as the latter was hired just a few days ago.

In the meantime, the Sherpur police registered a case under Section 376 of the IPC and launched a search to arrest the culprit.

The granthi was arrested this morning from Sherpur Khurd with the help of area residents by a police party led by Inspector Sandeep Kumar Wadera, SHO, Focal Point police station.

source:
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100730/punjab.htm#6

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Accused granthi should be hanged: SGPC

Is the SGPC calling for the granth to be hanged because he violated the sanctum sanctorum of the panth?

What about the girl who was raped? Is the SGPC outraged for that? I cannot tell from the article if they are.

Is there evidence of rape in the police report?

Are either the crime of rape, or violating the sanctum sanctorum, capital offenses in India -- i.e., punishable by death?

Why has the SGPC taken it upon itself to be judge jury and executioner? Could this not lead to an atmosphere of vigilante justice?

A few of my questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Re: Accused granthi should be hanged: SGPC

Why has the SGPC taken it upon itself to be judge jury and executioner? Could this not lead to an atmosphere of vigilante justice?

A few of my questions. from Narayanjot ji

That is what I was thinking. It is not usual to pass sentence before the trial. Except for Jagdish Tytler, Sajjan Kumar, etc.

The SGPC is run by a bunch of idiots/fools.

Should he be found guilty, hanging is too good for him.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I don't remember SGPC having the powers like a Shariyah court. Sikhs just follow the Common Law. There is no separate court where a Sikh can be legally tried.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM