• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Rajasthan Panchayat Bars Girls From Carrying Cell Phones

Oct 21, 2009
India
Covering head is part and parcel of our culture in India with some ingrained meaning.It is not a veil like Muslims ladies are required to do. A simple 'Dupatta' is enough.

Many Hindu preachers whose shaven heads accentuate their large faces, also quote Guru Nanak Sahib in their discourses. The most commonly quoted quote is :" Jeo pind sab teri Raas."[Kindly correct me]

It is a common practice for them that they cover their heads to show respect to the Guru Saheb and Bani, take it either way that suits.

Covering head is a mark of respect as well, besides other. There is nothing abtrusive or atavastic in this. It is part and parcel of our culture.

Coming to you next query, Eligible ladies go out for work and reap the benefit of economic opportunities without restrictions. Dowry - yes, it is a problem. It is less prevalent in the marriages where the ladies are also working or are in employment.
With gradual improvement in living conditions, may be, some of cultural practices shall also get modified or abandoned. Some ultra Indians do ape the west but most of them do not, and are happily wedded to the practice under consideration/discussion.

In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong in this, Sir. It is not a ritual at all but a cultural heritage.

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
today it is head covering, tomorrow, it will be 'wheres the rest of the dowry', and the day after it will be 'no wife of mine will go out to work', it is the thin end of the wedge Bhenji

Harry Ji!

Please Allow me to impart some views on the Cultural Difference. I live in a Society where, when you walk into a Store, low-cut tops are Not hard to find, that's the "Norm"... if that's being Silently Enforced here, & it's actually Deterimental to women (Imo)... (I've actually straight up told some Ladies to cover up b/c I have no interest in their Boobies, & I don't quite Understand the Concept of showing Clevage b/c I feel it takes away from a Person's Seriousness or even Integrity, b/c in a Professional setting, you're pointing to something that is by Biological instinct, enticing to Men. Imo, it's perfectly possible & tasteful, to look Good, cute w/e, Fully Clothed & w/out showing too much skin. Especially an area of Skin that is, idk, a secondary sexual Characterisitic that the Male brain is meant to respond to. **Apologies if i made any Mistakes or pre-mature Judgements about Biology/Attraction etc.)

Anywhoo, I Feel a Scarf on the Other hand, Not a Ghungat or a Burqa, but Just a Scarf that Cover enough, Is quite Liberating. It doesn't point to a person's lack of Education, or morals, in fact, opposite, it's that step back from the world, but you still get to be You. Perhaps in some families, it points to a level of Enslavement, & that is Quite Sad. but the Head-covering itself, doesn't point to anything of that Sort, in the Religious context, it is Just for Dignity & Coverage, not to be muffeled or your voice or spirit Stripped away, its for the Basic human dignity. (That is my Opinion. Sorry, Paji., very long-winded, Lol. )

Last edited:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Kids will always question why. And if you don't have an answer they will not follow. Merely saying it is a culture is not suffice. At one point making food over cow dung cakes was also culture :D No one does that. And I hope that it doesn't get enforced (though it is more green way :p)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Ji!

Please Allow me to impart some views on the Cultural Difference. I live in a Society where, when you walk into a Store, low-cut tops are Not hard to find, that's the "Norm"... if that's being Silently Enforced here, & it's actually Deterimental to women (Imo)... (I've actually straight up told some Ladies to cover up b/c I have no interest in their Boobies, & I don't quite Understand the Concept of showing Clevage b/c I feel it takes away from a Person's Seriousness or even Integrity, b/c in a Professional setting, you're pointing to something that is by Biological instinct, enticing to Men. Imo, it's perfectly possible & tasteful, to look Good, cute w/e, Fully Clothed & w/out showing too much skin. Especially an area of Skin that is, idk, a secondary sexual Characterisitic that the Male brain is meant to respond to. **Apologies if i made any Mistakes or pre-mature Judgements about Biology/Attraction etc.)

Anywhoo, I Feel a Scarf on the Other hand, Not a Ghungat or a Burqa, but Just a Scarf that Cover enough, Is quite Liberating. It doesn't point to a person's lack of Education, or morals, in fact, opposite, it's that step back from the world, but you still get to be You. Perhaps in some families, it points to a level of Enslavement, & that is Quite Sad. but the Head-covering itself, doesn't point to anything of that Sort, in the Religious context, it is Just for Dignity & Coverage, not to be muffeled or your voice or spirit Stripped away, its for the Basic human dignity. (That is my Opinion. Sorry, Paji., very long-winded, Lol. )

Bhenji

I live in a similar society, but I do not think that anyone enforces low cut tops. There is no policing of low cut tops, there is no punishment for wearing low cut tops, and in my view those that do enjoy wearing such, soon grow out of it, either through age, or gravity.

However, telling another human being to live by a set of rules applicable to the self is simply wrong and open to abuse.

If my wife decides to wear a low cut top, that is her business and no one elses, not even mine, and certainly not my parents. If she decides to wear a kermit the frog mask, again, nothing to do with me.

Respect is shown by the way you treat people, not by having a lemming like mentality. What is so disrespectful about having a head uncovered anyway? Why not say the shoulders, arms, ears? Whose idea was it that the top of head is the magic spot? These are all man made ideas, man made rules, they have nothing to do either with Creator or Sikhism.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
How about barring parents from buying phones that they don't want their children to have lollol

Then again why should parents (the decision makers) ever think that they may be at the root of the problem.

Makes sense to me. What you think icecreammunda

PS: In the west it can equate to parents giving vast data plans to their kids and then saying they are abusing the phones cheerleader.

Rock on kids! You are not the problem lol.

Last edited:

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
At one point making food over cow dung cakes was also culture :D No one does that. And I hope that it doesn't get enforced (though it is more green way :p)
Oh really brother ??

I thought it was one of the rare option we had to cook food those days ..... was it culture though ? Also, what it has to do with covering head .... i guess nothing

And for your kind info, still in India people wood die to eat food cooked on cow dunk or wood but time has changed & people lack time for it .... still tastewise, food cooked on wood, cow dunk is much superior than on ovens & gas ...

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I was just kidding around what if that was imposed on us as a cultural thing. And probably many people in India still do things the same way.

Let's talk about another cultural thing. It is a requirement for a Bahu to meet the in laws in the morning and touch their feet. But the elders may bless her or just ignore and walk on. We have rules for the Bahu but nothign to check the elders.

I have a cousin and I really pick on her sometimes. She said to her mom, how am I supposed to respect someone if they don't respect me? That kind of hit me home and I stopped picking on her more than thrice a day. Bad habits don't go easy.

There are rules for the women. Nothing for men. And the elders are totally walking example. They can never go wrong and they rule the roost. I think the best kind of elders lead by example.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: