• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Raag Mala

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Is it true the Raag Mala doesn't actually correspond to the Raag order in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

Once day I will check for myself but in the meantime I thought I'd put the question out there.

Thanks

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Yes Ishna ji, apart from that many Raags talked about in Raagmala are not in Guru Granth Sahib whereas many Raags of Guru Granth Sahib are not mentioned. All in all, reading or not reading Raagmala shouldn't make you a lesser or a more Sikh.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
and YES do check it out yourself dear..its just a page and half at the END..OUTSIDE the Closed Gates...Locked and secured by Mundawnni SEAL/lock of SGGS.
With the HUGE AMOUNT of extra stuff that we read daily..this 1.5 pages WONT MATTER a tiny bit..read or not...esp IF the PRECEEDING 1429 Pages were also READ as a Ritual !! fast track train speed...by paid pathees...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Yes , it is at the end of the Sri Guru Granth Sahibji and it refers to most of the other raags but not all the 31 in total.
It is a sort of round up referring to other raags in the essence of a family. ie.. it puts them together in correspondence to each other.

It comes after the mundavani which is itself at the end of paath readings and rehraas.

Some learned scholars or ones more advanced should be able to give you some better details.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with Raag Mala at the end of the SGGS but I haven't gone through SGGS page-by-page and made a list of all the Raags myself - that's what I meant by 'checking it out myself'.

It is strange that there would be an index at the end which doesn't correspond to the contents - I only just found out in the last few weeks that it doesn't correspond! :(

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM