• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Arts Raag Dhanasri With Poetry

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
I thought this was beautiful. I felt like sharing, but I didn't know where else to put it. I consider playing music and writing poetry to be a form of Bhakti (devotional worship), simran or meditation. This is one reason why I feel the Gurus wrote Gurbani as poetry, accompanied by music. Playing music and singing keeps you in the present moment and elicits emotions within you. Sometimes emotions are better expressed through melody than through words.

The following video and poetry is by Jatinder Singh Durhailay:

Tonight my mask falls, as I dance, the bells on my feet send a sound into the universe, tonight my mask falls, I dance this worldly dance alone.

The darkness whispers in one ear, the light in the other, both offer me gifts of paradise. But I refuse both, because today I dance, without my mask, only for you.

To neither dark or light do you belong. How is one meant to describe you? with all my heart I feel so deeply sorry for the one, who even tries to describe your greatness, as nothing can be said and nothing ever will.

Today I dress like a bride for you, I wear these jewels, I make myself beautiful for you to notice me. But in my ignorance, I fail to realise your temple full of treasures is within my heart. Day and night I make sacrifices and pilgrimages, but for what? My own selfish needs.

Tonight my mask falls and smashes, and reveals to me, in all my falseness, you are timeless. So there for I attain a piece of mind that, with you my friend everything is taken care of.

I weep but these tears taste so sweet. For now that I know, you in all your splendour are timeless and immortal. timeless and immortal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM