• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Quieting The Mind Opening The Heart

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
To put it simply, the act of meditation involves quieting the mind so you can open the heart. That's it in a nutshell.

We often believe our hearts are open and we can feel much of what is going on in our lives. Yet to truly open the heart means we have to stop the thinking, the judging, the opinions, the analyzing, the questioning, the doubting, and just love. It's all that unconditional stuff. The act of doing this, takes practice and patience. Learning to meditate means learning to love. To love our self. To love all others. To love the oneness of all. To love more.

The connection you feel when you ‘plug in' to this oneness is the most irresistible state of love you will ever feel. Makes it sound like it's worth the effort doesn't it? Maybe you've had glimpses of this - moments when you felt it, and your heart expanded. The beauty of nature in a spectacular sunset or a magnificent rushing waterfall, a child's innocent embrace, a long awaited accomplishment, an exhilarating sport or excursion, being with the one you love.

These can make you 'feel' in the biggest sense of the word. And the feeling can be described as wonderfully peaceful, coupled with a glorious uplifting, a lightening up of the heart. What these experiences all have in common is an external factor. Something had to be there, something had to be seen, in order to involve our senses. These 'things' serve to trigger this feeling.

Meditation serves the same purpose. It teaches you to connect with this feeling all on your own, without any outside stimuli. The source of that loving feeling is always within you. But what happens most often is that you don't know how to access it on our own. You wait for the triggers, look for the triggers, and in fact even seek out the triggers, because you believe they are the source.

When you quiet your mind, you are closing down the outside stimuli. You are holding the mirror up to yourself, deep within yourself, and waiting to see/feel the love. It's there, but the practice is necessary to learn to wait quietly, build patience, and stroke and nurture your loving heart.
Most of us have shy hearts and loud minds, and meditation serves to reverse this so we can truly feel the bliss and the joy and the 'highs 'we so crave in our lives. Now, meditation can be made to be much more complicated than what I have described. There are countless books, tapes, courses and workshops that deal with the core principles of meditation, and then expand upon them. They go into many, many aspects, avenues, theories, understandings, types, etc. It can be quite overwhelming for the beginner. But it's perfect for the intermediate student of meditation.

When you are beginning, the less said the better. Keeping it simple is very important, because the process of meditation is so simple. If it's not working, or if you want to know more about it, or you are ready to know more about it, then by all means read, study, learn. It's like taking the same route to the supermarket every day and then finding out there are other ways of getting there, other roads that lead there, other journeys you can take.

Study and practice of meditation has the potential to open up many layers of your heart. Everything in your life therefore opens up with it. Relationships bloom, work purpose is found, vibrant health is allowed, because love affects your belief system, your attitudes, your choices. Anger dissolves before it ever manifests, frustration mellows out, the pit of sadness and depression are filled up like never before. These are the promises of meditation. These are the long-term rewards. But in the beginning, meditation is simply quieting your mind so you can open your heart.

Attachments

• meditate.jpg
    meditate.jpg
    25.7 KB · Reads: 334
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
Aman ji , Thank you for excellent article. i was trying to add my thoughts in quick reply to your contribution but unfortunately half the page i wrote got all wiped out, is there any way we can save what we are wrtiing in this quick reply mode so that we dont waste what we write?
i will respond & write again later. Regards, Mahanbir singh.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Mahanbir ji, my apologies that it happened to you but usually the reply is not lost but if the reply is a little longer then it is preferable that we write it in the notepad or wordpad in our PCs and when ready cut paste the material in the quick reply box. Regards.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
if you lose the internet connection while having an almost full quick reply box...you will LOSE it all when the Page refreshes...Have seen it happen to me many times..now i am wiser...I usually save most of it on the clipboard....by cutting it IF I sense the Page has frozen...then i can refresh and paste it all back in a jiffy....IF ist a really LONG article..write it all in Word...and IMPORT it later when its finished.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Just a little digression:

Whenever I lose a reply that is ready to post, then I know that it was not meant to be posted. Another day perhaps.

:rofl:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Aman ji , Thank you for excellent article. i was trying to add my thoughts in quick reply to your contribution but unfortunately half the page i wrote got all wiped out, is there any way we can save what we are wrtiing in this quick reply mode so that we dont waste what we write?
i will respond & write again later. Regards, Mahanbir singh.

Respected Mahabir Singh Ji

I would be waiting for your beautiful thoughts on it. If you don't mind, I remind you the promise you gave to me to write about your conversation with God keeping my questions in mind, honestly I have been waiting for that too, as Aman Ji advised, just type on Word Pad, copy and paste it on SPN.
:)

Regards

G Singh

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
My sincere thans to Aman ji, gyani ji, aad ji & pk 70 ji for clarifications. my experience with window pad is the the words get sepatated & i cant quote any thing in punfabi.

i love this forum as every body is so helpful

Anotonia ji i quite agree with you. if a massege is not to be sent it gets wiped out. How good you are in obeying Hukam.
Pk70 ji i thought i will write a pvy. message. Thanks for reminding . i will definitely serve you by my replies. Regards. Mahanbir singh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
In case of Punjabi fonts, what i do is rather than writing a reply in Quick reply box, i click the Go Advanced button at the bottom of quick reply box... this takes me to comprehensive screen for writing a longish reply with Gurumukhi/Punjabi fonts and once a reply has reached a certain length, i click 'Preview' button towards the bottom of advanced reply box, as this saves all the work till we again press the Preview button to save the present work. This should work for you... please keep in mind that the text is saved only for that session and is lost once you close the browser window... :)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
In case of Punjabi fonts, what i do is rather than writing a reply in Quick reply box, i click the Go Advanced button at the bottom of quick reply box... this takes me to comprehensive screen for writing a longish reply with Gurumukhi/Punjabi fonts and once a reply has reached a certain length, i click 'Preview' button towards the bottom of advanced reply box, as this saves all the work till we again press the Preview button to save the present work. This should work for you... please keep in mind that the text is saved only for that session and is lost once you close the browser window... :)

Aman Ji..
I didnt know that !!
Maybe you should have a TIPS SECTION...for such gems.... TIP of the DAY !! type of thing...think about Ji...this TIP is so useful for me..and it took so long for me to know about it....much appreciated.

( PS. in IT..its very difficult for each of us to know everything....no matter how much we try...and maybe other readers also can share tips..)

Jarnail Singh

singh23

SPNer
May 11, 2009
hi i really liked this post as it made me relise the importance of quietening my mind, but i want to also share one interesting semblemse i feel i understand between meditation (as done by budhists) and naam simran (as done in sikhism ). i have learnt that when u meditate U DONT THINK MUCH BUT YOUR FOCUS IS ON THE SUPREME, (only thing here is tht u meditate for a certain continous period followed by daily activities,)this quietens the mind and well as we read opens the heart, now similarly in sikhism naam simran ie- recitation of lords name with love, also makes u NOT THINK MUCH BUT FOCUS ON THE SUPREME( in this case u meditate during and mainly in between your daily activities as our holy GURU GRANTH SAHIBJI says to take lords name with every breath and not lose even the time of the blink of an eye), this also i have observed quietens my mind profoundly when i tried it(i never stopped after that). So there you go, i think this is a BEAUTIFUL SIMILARITY BETWEEN BUDHISM AND SIKHISM AND MANY OTHER FAITHS AS I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED AS EVEN HINDUISM AND ISLAM HAVING THE SAME MOTTO ULTIMATELY.

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
Aman ji thank you so much for such wonderful information. As gyani ji has pointed pl have some place where novice like me can learn. Thanks for your suggestions. i have now written something on word document & it has worked. i am dedicating this artical How to quiten your mind & achieve silence to you , gyani ji , Antonia ji, pk 70 ji & all other souls who want to achieve oneness with Wageguru ji.

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
How to quieten your mind & achieve stillness?
The best way to quieten your mind is stop thinking.
As the mind always is thinking either of past or the future it is never quiet.
It never stops thinking.
It never focuses on NOW.
Now is the golden moment.
It is the reality. Past is dead. It is history, Future is mystery as tomorrow hasn’t come. We are not sure whether it will come.
That is why guru Ram Das ji says’ hir hir nwmu jpyNidAW iKn iFl nw kIjeI myrI ijMduVIey mq ik jwpY swhu AwvY ik nw AwvY rwmu]
We are not sure whether we will get next breath or not.
Guru Nanak sahib also reminds us of this reality ‘ hm AwdmI hW iek dmI muhlq muhq nw jwxw’

How to stop thinking?
Fifrst, be quiet. I said be quiet. I did not say think quiet.
After being quiet you will observe your thinking slows down a bit, it simmers down.
Now start thinking what you are thinking about. I mean start thinking about where your thoughts are going.
Now stop your thoughts going there.Focus your thoughts. Think about what you are thinking about. This is the first step towards achieving stillness.
Get out of your senses. Take leave of your mind. Somebody may remark ‘ HAVE YOU TAKEN LEAVE OF YOUR SENSES? And you answer Isnt it great.
Your mind is always analysing sensory input data. All the data is collected from illusionary Maya. Notning is the Truth. All is myth. Stop this incoming data & you will be able to quieten the mind.
When you stop thinking about any thing ,soon you will be able to focus your thoughts on nothingness. Focusing on nothingness is called APur smwDI[ ijQy koeI iKAwl pYdw hI nwh hovy[

How to focus on Nothingness?

First focus on some thing in particular.
Problem is your mind is always focused on many things. It is receiving input data from hundred different things & it is analysing it faster than the speed of light.
It is sending this information to you & what is happening around you.
To focus on Nothing you have to stop all this noise & chatter. You have to control it, limit it & ultimately eliminate it. In order to focus on nothingness first you have to focus on one particular thing rather than hundred different things.
Start with flame of a candle. Look at the flame. Stare deeply into it. Be with the flame. Don’t thik about what you are seeing. Just be with it. Thinking about something stops you from being with it. Just be with this experience.

Now when you feel like closing your eyes just close them.dont think about it. Your eyes will fall shut naturally don’t fight just let them close.
You have controlled & limited the external input data.

Now begin listening to your breathing. Focus on your breath. Especially listen to your breath that you take in. This is listening to your SELF . Listening to your self stops you listening to any thing else. THIS IS WHERE GREAT IDEAS COME FROM. When you listen to your inbreathing you are listening to your INSPIRATION.

Now focus on your inner vision. Once you have inspiration this will bring you great INSIGHT. Focus on the point in middle of your forehead. ijQy AOrqW ibMdI lgwdIAW hn] ieh AMdroN hI dyKxw hY, AKW bMd krky[look deeply at this spot. Don’t expect to see some thing. Look at nothing. Just be with the darkness. Just relax. Be content with peace of EMPTINESS. It is good. CREATION CAN NOT COME EXCEPT INTO THE VOID. iehI sun smwD hY[ iesy AvsQw ivc vwihgurU 36( keI) Xug ivc irhw[
Enjoy then this peace of emptiness.
Expect nothing more. Want nothing more. This experience is a bliss.
In this you will find great peace. What a relief. Nothing to want. Nothing to be. Except what you are being right now. Except what you are experiencing right now.
But keep looking. Not anxiously not expectantly just……keeping a gentle watch.needing to see nothing ready to see every thing.
If you are lucky you will see a flickering blue light. Or a dancing light. It may appear in flashes first then will steady in your sight. Stay with it. Move into it. If you feel your self merging with it, let that happen. If that happens nothing more you will need to see. This light is your self . this is you. ieh inrMkwrI joiq hY[ ieh Alw dw nUr hY[ ieh Eh joiq hY jo ‘sB mih joiq joiq hY soie, iqs dy cwnx sB mih cwnx hoie[ ieh quhwfw real self hai. This is your true being. This what you are. About this guru Amar Das ji says’

mMn qUM joiq srUp hYN Awpxw mUL pCwix[ ieh quhwfw muF hY[ swirAW ivc ies joiq dw prkwS hY[
Lok cOidh ky ibKY smsq eyk joiq hYN nw Gwt hY nw bwF hY nw Gwt bwF hoq hY[
ikauik swirAwN ivc ieko joq hY swry ieko joiq qoN bxy hn, AsIN swry iek hW[
eyk ipqw eyks ky hm bwirk[
jdoN swnUM ies gl dI smJ Aw jwvygI iPr swfw iksy nwl JgVw nWh rhygw[
nw ko bYrI nhIN bygwnw, sgl sMg hm ko bn AweI[ hr koeI swfw imqr bx jwvygw[
hr iksy nUM AsIN aus qrWH ipAwr krWgy ijvyN swnUM koeI krdw hY[
ies qrW AsIN hr iksy dw idl ijq lvWgy[ gurU ikrpw kry swnUM sBnUM sumq bKSy qW ik AsIN gurU dy dsy hoey rwhW qy cl skIey Aqy Awpxw jIvn sMvwr skIey[

These are not my thoughts but that of Waheguru ji who presents me with so many books which are inspired & dictated by Him. He has asked me to read & heed. Then share with others. This is what I am doing. God also talks with me through my feelings. In my meditation & He makes pictures of certain things & I start verbalising what is the message. God also talks to us by our experience. Problem is we listen to outside sources but not the actual source that lies within each one of us.

If we learn how to be silent we can meet our self. Our self is God. I will explain that in next post.

Hope this article will be of some value to you. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you require any clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Very beautiful, for those burning on hot bubbling thoughts, still it is beyond reach, trying is the answer, my special thanks to you for sharing what you have experienced. Being very inquisitive, I have a question triggered from your quote given blow, my question will follow that
[“This is what I am doing. God also talks with me through my feelings.
If we learn how to be silent we can meet our self. Our self is God.”

Mahabir Singh Ji,

If by stilling our minds as you have laid out, we meet the “Self” and in your words “our self is God”,(may you mean a part of God) then to whom that self-God- talks to ?

Regards

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
My dear pk70 ji,
Thanks for your response & enquiry.
It takes time for an individual to get connected with its self. Your self is your True Being. True being is all that is i.e God. It is the whole of it & not the part. It is alpha & omega. It is the left & right. It is everything what God is.

When an individual is living in ego & has not yet connected with its self , God talks with the feelings to make him understand & to guide him from time to time. Feelings are the language of our soul. Feelings never tell a lie. The problem is we do not listen to our feelings. We listen to our parents other outside sources. We reject what our feelings &. We accept what others say. Therefore we grope in the darkness of ignorance.
When a person starts listening to his/ her feelings & acts accordingly , he finds the way. When a person finds the way, I mean when a person follows the dictates of ones feelings & not the mind he gets the desired results. He feels joy & happiness. Knowing that he is following his heart & not the mind which brings him happiness & joy he starts Trusting God. When you trust God you develop love for God. When you develop love for God you develop friendship with God.
We all can have a true & close Friendship if we follow the path of our heart & not that of our mind. Our mind contains the data from outside world. Out side is Illusion. It is not the Truth.jg rcnw sB JUT hY jwn lyhu ry mIq. khu nwnk iQr nw rhy ijau bwlU kI Biq] slok m: 9
But this illusion has a very useful purpose. In this physical world where we live it is made of two things. It is a relative world. You can experience what is the Truth only in the presence of that which is not truth I mean Maya. This duality has been designed to know a thing experientially not conceptually. In the Absolute world or Sach Khand there is only one thing. Only God & His love. Over there nothing can be experienced practically. Therefore Akal purakh made this dual world. When we understand this purpose we will rise above Maya & not get trapped by it. As a lotus flower rises above the pond in which it takes birth. We should bless this duality as it gives us the experience of who we are & who we choose to be. If there had been no choice, there had been only one thing how could we experience & choose what we wish to be. We are human beings. We are not human doings. We have to be. What we are being is all that matters. That is it takes a shape.

Pk70 ji you asked if our self is God whom God is talking to by feelings?
My answer to that is when you achieve oneness with Akal purakh He still talks to you with the media of feelings & guides you what to do next. For example He instructs His friends to to teach others how others can have similar friendship. He gives you a feeling that now you are not the seeker of a Truth but bringer of a Truth.God talks to you all the time. I enjoy this dialogue with Him for hours. Once He suggested to me that I go to Pakistan & talk to vice chancellor of Punjabi university in Lahore to convey the teachings of Guru Nanak. Pakistan is burning to day. Words of Guru Nanak can bring peace. When I got this message I literally cried. I tried to make the contacts but then my health & my family did not allow me to undertake the journey. This is true what guru Amar Das ji says’ieh kutMb jo qUM dyKdw clY nwhI qyry nwly@ That is why Guru Nanak sahib travelled all his life to convey the message of God without getting bogged down by the pulls & pressures of his small family.

There is so much that we can share . This forum is a good media.

I will be posting a new topic or the extension of the same thought ‘ HOW TO PRACTICE STILLNESS’ This may answer some more questions that you might have.

With Regards & Love

Mahanbir Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
to that is when you achieve oneness with Akal purakh He still talks to you with the media of feelings & guides you what to do next. For example He instructs His friends to to teach others how others can have similar friendship. He gives you a feeling that now you are not the seeker of a Truth but bringer of a Truth.God talks to you all the time. I enjoy this dialogue with Him for hours. Once He suggested to me that I go to Pakistan & talk to vice chancellor of Punjabi university in Lahore to convey the teachings of Guru Nanak. Pakistan is burning to day. Words of Guru Nanak can bring peace. When I got this message I literally cried. I tried to make the contacts but then my health & my family did not allow me to undertake the journey. This is true what guru Amar Das ji says’ieh kutMb jo qUM dyKdw clY nwhI qyry nwly@ That is why Guru Nanak sahib travelled all his life to convey the message of God without getting bogged down by the pulls & pressures of his small family.

Mahabir Singh Ji
[/FONT]
Again I must applaud the beautiful views you are sharing with us. Consider me naive in this experience, I am still pondering over it in questioning manner.[/FONT]
When one’s mind is stilled, finds “self” which is God, how “that” God(full) still exists in others if it is not a part then how the soul and God becomes one? Why then in Gurbani he said to be watching all over? Isn’t realizing Him within is different than thinking HE is actually soul of that body? Why mind is different than God? What is then mind in this context? Doesn’t he all the time inspire others to do something as you have pointed out? For example in Washington DC a woman was gang rapped, attackers were never found, something within her sent her to CONGO to make that society aware of this heinous crime so that society should do something for victimized women instead of remaining wrapped in “taboos”. She never claims to see Him or inspired by God. Thing that seems hard to understand is to visualize His Nirgun Swroop. Gurbani says that He can be experience, says He is in all and actually all people do what He wills then how he becomes soul of a body? Isn't soul is a part of Him?
[/FONT]
With Regards
G Singh

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
G.singh ji
Do i have your permission to address you as G.singh ji reather than pk 70 ?
i find i am talking to a fellow humna being.
Dont think you are a naive. you are wonderful & perfect. God being perfedt He makes only perfect things.mwtI eyk Anyk BWq kr swjI swjnhwry nw ikC poc mwtI ky BWfy nw ikC poc kumwHry] poc dw mqlb hY nuks[
Believe that you have all the knowledge & wisdom.
once Akal purakh gave me this information' i have not sent anybody without coplete knowledge, you are GOD'S INFORMATION. YOU ARE GOD IN FORMATION. Think of that. you have not remembered who you are.
your soul is the part of Divine spirit.
it is our soul or part of God who is experincing in this physical world what can not be experienced in the Absolute world. God is realising through experience by using our/His bodies who God is. He Knows in Absolute world what He is but that in only a concept. for example in the Absolute world He knows He is Love. Love can be experienced only in physical world. Therefore He has made our bodies & residing in all of us as a soul.
Even soul cannot experience what soul is unless it is given the tools of feeling. our body & mind are the two tools of feelings. we are not our body or our Mind. we are the ones who are using these tools. our body is a shirt which our soul is wearing. when the shirt gets dirty it has no qualms about changing it any time, As we feel happy to change our shirt our soul feels happy to change our body( which is shirt) for our soul. krmI AwvY kpVw ndrIN moK duAwr[ swfw srIr iek kpVw hY, ieh mYlw ho skdw hY ieh Pt skdw hY, swfI AwqmW nUM kI zrUrq hY ik ieh gMdI kmIz pwvy[
every soul has an agenda what it wants to experience in this life time. our mind does not know this agenda. our soul lets our mind do what it wants to do with ego. it does not interfere because it is a part of God. Greatest gift of God is Freedom. Only at the time of our death when our soul decides it has already full filled its agenda it decides to go without listening to our Mind.
As i said before our true being is God. the whole of it. not the part. part also exists side by side in the form of a soul. this soul has to achieve oneness thru experience. it knows it is a part of God. That knowing is not enough. when you move towards oneness your behaviour changes. you start loving every body. Though it is dangerous as society & religions dont allow you to do so. That is why our soul feels suffocated in our body.She want to leave & she leaves every night whe we sleep leavig the body to freshen it self. you know when we get up we say ; i feel fresh. when you were asleep you did not know what is happening to your body.
you asked me how we can visualise Nirgun SAwroop. tell me what is the need for us to know? when you see awsomw display of stars or beutiful moon or anything like a wonderful flower just colse your eyes & think of the creator who created all this. Enjoy the beuty. This is the visualisation of Formless God. This is Darshan of Nirgurn Sawroop.
Last Sunday i spoke in our Gurdwara ' How to have Darshan of God' A lady came & stood in front of me with fiolded hand & said i have had Darshan of God the way you explained.
just see the Aarti which Guru Nanak Dev ji sang, look at the Aarti you will realise what is Nirgurn Sawroop.
if you want darshan of Sargun sawroop then the whole universe is His body.
srb BUq Awp vrqwrw srB nYn Awp pyKn hwrw, sgl simgrI jw kw qnw( bhuvcn qn dw)
By the way who is looking at this Aarti?
He Himself thru your & my eyes. we all are His Sargun Sawroop & The Formless is Nirgun Sawroop. Remeber Nirgun is much bgger than Sargun sawroop. swcy qy pvnw BieAW pvny qy jl hUAW [ jl qy iqRBvx swijAw [
just visualise that it is Nirgun Sawroop wheguru who has created this universe/universes.

i am closing here as i do not know it may again get wiped out.
Thank you for your questions & your inquisitveness.
May i request you to meditate more all your questions will be answered automatically,
This is where stillness od mind helps. All the chatter & noise of Mind is silenced & you will enjoy the peace & happiness.
with regards & love
Mahanbir Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Mahabir Singh ji[/FONT]
Names are not important any more for me; it’s the ideas that attract me. You are most welcome to address me the way you feel comfort. I will be pleased whichever way you address me. For me ID’s of different people are also assumed names taken by them because as in case of name, ID’s too represent them.[/FONT]
I must admit I am very naïve in meditation(it is a fact), regardless reading books on medication, my mind doesn’t still, I cannot see God in all as Gurbani says, like who rape women, kill innocents, take advantage of others, I feel that they closed doors on God, I see them without God or whose ego has buried God within,; the reason is that I feel I don’t understand God fully, what I am doing is accepting what Guru says and trying to remove my illusions, when I go in that situation, I don’t visualize His “Nirgun” swroop because I cannot. Why it is important to do that? Without understanding His Nirgun Swroop, it is like seeking something imaginative. As I feel now to praise Him as Nirguna, some kind of visualization is a must[/FONT]
When I go through the Gurbani slowly I feel, I am not anything, and what I think becomes meaningless and I concentrate on Guru Shabad, I start getting Message in the Shabad totally opposite to my thought. Many times, I feel to visualize “Nirgun” swroop” for whom Guru Nanak on SGGS 877 expresses how strongly he longs for Him and seeing him in that state, people around him judge him as crazy. Then he leads to his followers to the reason he was in sadly state and why others don’t see God though He can be realized within. I have found all answers in that Shabad, from there I can see the reason of my complete failure because what I think, what is said about me negatively come to disturb me. I often fall into pieces in repentance.[/FONT]
. The entire time one cannot sit into meditation. As Guru Says first all the trash that disturbs, should be out. It is not like go and sit still and stop thinking because behind all this, avalanche of thought lurk to hit or after coming out of that state, that baggage reloads the mind again; however, as Guru Nanak explains quiet contrary to you, the seed that let these thought blossoms, needs to be eliminated; for that battle within is necessary. To continue that, negative atmosphere must be got rid of. That is the only way to understand Him and His Hukam. What things you are saying are amazing to me,; however, to tread on this path without the battle seems to me beyond reach or temporary relief. My falls tell me that I am worse than all; I go there, a little closer then suddenly see myself to the bottom. Kindly allow me to ask you a few more questions if you don’t mind[/FONT]
You wrote[/FONT]
“Even soul cannot experience what soul is unless it is given the tools of feeling. our body & mind are the two tools of feelings”[/FONT]
That is pretty understandable.[/FONT]
“. we are not our body or our Mind. we are the ones who are using these tools ‘[/FONT]
Using as what? As a soul ?[/FONT]
“As we feel happy to change our shirt our soul feels happy to change our body “[/FONT]
If that is true then why the fear of death exist?[/FONT]
“every soul has an agenda what it wants to experience in this life time. our mind does not know this agenda. our soul lets our mind do what it wants to do with ego. it does not interfere because it is a part of God.[/FONT][/FONT]
If our soul has an agenda, how it is right to say that it doesn’t interfere?[/FONT]
Greatest gift of God is Freedom. Only at the time of our death when our soul decides it has already full filled its agenda it decides to go without listening to our Mind. [/FONT]
Here I missed you, are you talking about freedom of soul? Are you saying all actions are triggered by mind without the involvement of the Soul and God? Soul’s departure if considered freedom why it also keeps an agenda? Who steers the mind?[/FONT]
just see the Aarti which Guru Nanak Dev ji sang, look at the Aarti you will realise what is Nirgurn Sawroop. just visualise that it is Nirgun Sawroop wheguru who has created this universe/universes.[/FONT]
Mahabir Singh Ji, Arti is all about His “Sargun swroop”, by saying He has created all, and how it is possible to visualize Him. Guru Hukam is (SGGS 1297)[/FONT][/FONT]
ਕਾਨੜਾ ਮਹਲਾ [/FONT]॥[/FONT] ਭਜੁ ਰਾਮੋ ਮਨਿ ਰਾਮ [/FONT]॥[/FONT] ਜਿਸੁ ਰੂਪ ਰੇਖ ਵਡਾਮ [/FONT]॥[/FONT] ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲੁ ਭਜੁ ਰਾਮ [/FONT]॥[/FONT] ਬਡ ਹੋ ਹੋ ਭਾਗ ਮਥਾਮ ॥[/FONT]॥[/FONT] ਰਹਾਉ [/FONT]॥[/FONT] [/FONT]
Kānṛā mėhlā 4. Bẖaj rāmo man rām.[/FONT] Jis rūp na rekẖ vadām.[/FONT] Saṯsangaṯ mil bẖaj rām.[/FONT] Bad ho ho bẖāg mathām. ||1|| rahā▫o.[/FONT] [/FONT]
In Essence The Almighty whose form and sign cannot be explained, mediate on Him, He is the greatest of all. In the company of saints, praise Him, you would turn lucky(ause

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਜਿਸ ਰਾਮ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਕਲ ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਚਿਹਨ-ਚੱਕਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਦੱਸੇ ਜਾ ਸਕਦੇ, ਜੋ ਰਾਮ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਵੱਡਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਭਜਨ ਆਪਣੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਕਰਿਆ ਕਰ। ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਮਿਲ ਅਤੇ ਰਾਮ ਦਾ ਭਜਨ ਕਰ, ਤੇਰੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਦੇ ਵੱਡੇ ਭਾਗ ਹੋ ਜਾਣਗੇ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ
[ Oh brother, Ram whose form and sign cannot be expressed, He is the greatest and meditate on Him. Oh brother if in the company of Saints Ram is praised, you will turn lucky. (Pause)]"[/FONT]

I feel Guru diverts us to His” Nirgun Swroop” from His Sargun Swroop which is bigger than this Sargun visible swroop” Just by praising His outside Sargun swroop is not enough to contemplate on HIM
I hope my questions haven’t questioned what you experience at all and it is not my intention, I am just torn between concept of Soul and God, then my failure due to the Locked door in front Him and around that door,deep ditches filled with ego that pushing me away from Him(Reference SGGS877)

Hope your further elaboration can help me on these avenues of inquisitiveness.

Regards
G Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji and mahanbir ji

I am somewhat embarrassed to enter this conversation :eek: but do want to say to pk70 ji that meditation can involve stillness of body and mind. But it doesn't have to. There can be meditation in motion and the stillness of mind is more like intense focus. For some people this is a better mode for meditation. We can see it in the various ways that Zen monks train their mind to be steady in the present moment, with the sweep of ink across rice-paper or in scrubbing a floor. The immanence of the nirgun comes through, is felt, is grasped giving complete attention to the sargun presence. For Sikhs this is not an alien thought. The same thing occurs in the performance of kirtaan, in a deeply felt sehaj path, in the recitation of Waheguru. Some call this "filling the mind in order to empty it." Some call it the "beginner's mind."

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM