• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Question?

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh!

I was wondering who put the amrit kirtan together, like decided what shabad would go on what page and which shabds would be included inthe amrit kirtan??

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
Its all the doing of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. As Gurbani states:
Page 628, Line 2 -- Guru Arjan Dev
Dur kI bwxI AweI ]
The Bani of His Word emanated from the Primal Lord.
Dhur kee banee aa-ee.

Page 304, Line 16 -- Guru Ram Das
siqgur kI bwxI siq srUpu hY gurbwxI bxIAY ]
The Word of the True Guru`s Bani is the embodiment of Truth; through Gurbani, one becomes perfect.
satgur kee banee sat saroop hai gurbaanee banee-ai.

and as we have seen, Gurbani came from God, and so with the Hlpe of the Lord Guru Ji knew exactly where to put Gurbani, in what order, etc. Also, i have seen a chart which says what each Raag is supposed to mean/represent, ill show it to you, maybe the Raags and their meanings had to do something with the order as well.

1 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Soohi [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Being away from home. The soul being away from the House of Lord and the joy of meeting the true ‘husband[/font] 2 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bilaaval [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]beautification of soul, happiness. [/font] 3 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Gaund [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Separation, union, surprise. [/font] 4 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sri [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maya and detachment[/font] 5 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maajh [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]yearning to merge with Lord, giving up of negative values. [/font] 6 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Gauri [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Principles, serious, thoughtfulness, composed [/font] 7 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Aasa [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hope [/font] 8 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Gujri [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Prayer (Paath)[/font] 9 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Devgandhari [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Merging with spouse, self - realization [/font] 10 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bihaagra [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Yearning due to separation of soul and happiness due to meeting the Lord. [/font] 11 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sorath [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Merits of God[/font] 12 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dhanasari [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mixed theme[/font] 13 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jaitsree [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Stability[/font] 14 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Todi [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maya, separation [/font] 15 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bairagi [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]motivation to sing praises of Lord [/font] 16 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Tilang [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sadness, beautification. [/font] 17 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Raamkali [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]To give up the life of a wandering Jogi. [/font] 18 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Nat Narayan [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Joy of meeting the Lord [/font] 19 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maali Gaura [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Happiness [/font] 20 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maaru [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bravery, profound philosophy. [/font] 21 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Tukhari [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Separation and union with Lord [/font] 22 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Kedara [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Love [/font] 23 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhairav [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man’s state of hell [/font] 24 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Basant [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Happiness [/font] 25 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sarang [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Thirst to meet God[/font] 26 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Malaar [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]State of separated and united soul [/font] 27 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jaijawanti [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Vairaag (Detachment (from earthly things) ) [/font] 28 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Kalyaan [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhakti (Prayer) Ras [/font] 29 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Vadhans [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Vairaag (Detachment (from earthly things) ) [/font] 30 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Prabhati[/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhakti (Prayer that involves you totally focused on God) [/font] 31 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Kaanra[/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhakti (Prayer that involves you totally focused on God) [/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] (with thanks to info-sikh.com)[/font]

Hope this has helped. Forgive me if ive said something wrong. WaheGuru!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Sher Singh said:
1 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Soohi [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Being away from home. The soul being away from the House of Lord and the joy of meeting the true ‘husband[/font]
2 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bilaaval [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]beautification of soul, happiness. [/font]
3 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Gaund [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Separation, union, surprise. [/font]
4 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sri [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maya and detachment[/font]
5 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maajh [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]yearning to merge with Lord, giving up of negative values. [/font]
6 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Gauri [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Principles, serious, thoughtfulness, composed [/font]
7 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Aasa [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Hope [/font]
8 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Gujri [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Prayer (Paath)[/font]
9 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Devgandhari [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Merging with spouse, self - realization [/font]
10 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bihaagra [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Yearning due to separation of soul and happiness due to meeting the Lord. [/font]
11 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sorath [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Merits of God[/font]
12 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dhanasari [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mixed theme[/font]
13 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jaitsree [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Stability[/font]
14 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Todi [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maya, separation [/font]
15 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bairagi [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]motivation to sing praises of Lord [/font]
16 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Tilang [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sadness, beautification. [/font]
17 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Raamkali [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]To give up the life of a wandering Jogi. [/font]
18 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Nat Narayan [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Joy of meeting the Lord [/font]
19 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maali Gaura [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Happiness [/font]
20 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Maaru [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bravery, profound philosophy. [/font]
21 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Tukhari [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Separation and union with Lord [/font]
22 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Kedara [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Love [/font]
23 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhairav [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Man’s state of hell [/font]
24 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Basant [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Happiness [/font]
25 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sarang [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Thirst to meet God[/font]
26 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Malaar [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]State of separated and united soul [/font]
27 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jaijawanti [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Vairaag (Detachment (from earthly things) ) [/font]
28 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Kalyaan [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhakti (Prayer) Ras [/font]
29 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Vadhans [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Vairaag (Detachment (from earthly things) ) [/font]
30 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Prabhati[/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhakti (Prayer that involves you totally focused on God) [/font]
31 [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Kaanra[/font] [font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bhakti (Prayer that involves you totally focused on God) [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif](with thanks to info-sikh.com)[/font]

Above is a great information. Thanks for bringing this out, Sher veer.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Unstoppable Singh ji,

Were you thinking about a gutka , when i asked about the amrit kirtan??????? ( btw im a girl)

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh!

Apr 7, 2005
Brampton
Sorry about calling you a guy...

As for a Gutka yes i know what that is. But what i'm talking about is a different book. It has Shabads sorted out for other purposes.

One section is dedicated for Shabads who main message is Ardas or Gurmukhs or Seva or War and so on. When we were growing up we would call that book Amrit Kirtan. So i thought of that.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

(dont worry bout it.... mistakes happen)

I think i kno what u are talking about, its like a book with different shabads in it and it has both the translation and transliteration on it right??

I used to use that when doing kirtan as a little kid because i could not read Gurmukhi but now i have given it to my younger brother. That book is really helpful because as u sing/ read each line you have the meaning of it right in front of you.

waheguru ji ki fateh!

Sher Singh

SPNer
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
UnstoppableSingh said:
I confused the question. When he asked about Amrit Kirtan i thought of the little book i used to read when i was in Gurmat camp........ oh well

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, im sorry veeri ji, i thought u were talking about something else... *blushes with embaressment* my bad. Bhul Chuk Maff kar! :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: