• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Question Regarding Something In Dasam Granth?

Neemai108

SPNer
Sep 10, 2006
Tustin, CA
I was browsing through Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Dasam Granth, and I was reading through the incarnations of Rudra, and it mentioned a Paras Nath. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is the same Paras Nath (otherwise known as Parsvanath) venerated by Jains as their 23rd Tirthankar (Prophet).

I know Guru Ji never worshipped any incarnations of Vishnu, Shiva, or Brahma. He makes it clear that only the Akal Purakh, Timeless Lord is to be worshipped. But Im just interested in knowing the content of the Dasam Granth in its context. I think it is a beautiful work of literature and I would like to understand it. I study various religions and philosophies and I like to see how many of them are related to one another, and many refer to one another in texts and scripture. So coming accross the Dasam Granth, I saw the name Paras Nath and the figure of the Jain Paras Nath came to mind.

I value knowledge, regardless of what religion it comes from, because all knowledge comes from the Lord, and it is to be treasured.

I am a born hindu brahmin, but I never took interest in the caste system, nor in the worship of many gods, nor in unecessary rituals. Infact I never believed in any of them and rejected them as I studied more. Ive always had faith in one timeless God, and Ive come to understand that God best through the words of Bhagat Kabirji, Bhagat Naamdev Ji, Bhagat Tukaram Ji, Chaitanya Dev Ji, and ofcourse the Sikh Gurus, and Guru Granth Sahib Ji. In particular the words of Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh are my favorite. And I hope as I read their words, I will understand the Lord greater.

This novemeber I will visit Amritsar, Sri Darbar Sahib for the first time and have darshan of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I will also visit other historical gurudwaras like Sis Ganj in Delhi, and Anandpur Sahib. I am very excited for my trip, and I pray to God he enlightens me on this spiritual journey, and always keeps me in his shadow of mercy.

But if anyone knows if there is any corelation between the two, I would greatly appreciate it. As far as I understood the text, it seems the Paras Nath depicted in the Granth is very much an opposite image of the Paras Nath Image venerated by Jains. But since the names are quite similar and same, Im interested to know if there is any relation. I doubt Jains would know, but if there is any other Sikh Brother or Sister out there who would know, I would like to know.

Thanks all,
God Bless,
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Sat Sri Akal

Suren

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
Das thinks that this Paras Nath was more to do with Nath Yoga then say 23rd Tirthnkara perhaps as in Arihntdev Avtar Guru does not approves Jains as belivers.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
I recommend a book for anyone interested in the common adventure of mankind:

The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM