• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pure Silence

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The posts that follow this introduction are from this link.

I've always come to the conclusion that the mind allows us to read books and follow instructions. but the mind doesn't like us to still it. It is the nature of mind to keep changing all kind of thought activity. So here goes what we're looking for always but fail to achieve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
What is Pure Silence?
rock.JPG
There is a space within us, our brain, our being, which is and has always been there. This is the awareness which you have known all your life. It is your realization that you are. It is the same which has been at your birth, during your youth, now and when you will be dead. This is your "you-ness." Some have called this your true self. This is something that, no matter what has occurred in your life, has never changed. Yes, this has been permanent in you. You must see this. It's very hard to put all this into accurate words that describe this fully and it is even more difficult to imagine this. But if you stop reading now, close your eyes, and see what is there, you may begin to taste this. What is always there in you, despite your moods, your emotions, your thoughts? I know you know this. See what is there at the core of your being. It seems you and the rest of humanity have spent your entire lives running from this, fearing this, covering this. I do not know all the reasons why. Perhaps our brains have not evolved enough yet.
You have probably followed some belief, some tradition, someone else's words or teaching. But I offer you something else. Let go of the thoughts, the imagination, the emotions; let go of everything and see what is left. Do this, not because I am telling you this, but because it is truly what you want to find out once and for all. You want to know. I know you do. What is this thing called existence all about? And more than that, what is your place in all this? Who are you? What is your purpose?
Pure Silence is within you. It is not just the absence of sound, or lack of noise. It is the ground, the basis of your very being. There is nothing to find out, nothing to prove. Just listen with your whole being to what is here, now. It is the most amazing thing you can ever discover.
It is with you now. It is you. The only way to find this is to stop everything else. Everything! Just be!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Avoiding the Void
avoidingthe%20void.jpg

Our problem may be very simple in life; we find that we must keep doing, thinking, going, listening, running, talking or else what shall we be? We love to be filled with noise, images, words, thoughts, memories, fantasies, sensations, people, pleasures and good feelings. When these things are not, we feel bored, alone, scared and quite possibly angry and confused. The brain needs input almost continuously. When there is a lack of input into these amazing computer-like brains our thoughts can fill in. We believe that these thoughts about self, about ego (the "I") are the reality and that there is nothing more. We know of this space in between the thoughts, the words, the actions, but it seems we pay it no heed or we do not want to look there. But what is it about this silent space inside that we do not wish to face, that we try to keep covered by any means.
I would offer that in this silence is who we are. That means not only every memory of every moment of our lives, many of which we can not face a second time because they are too painful. But it also means our true being-ness is right there, able to be experienced in the stillness of a moment free from everything, from every thought.
If you have not figured it out yet, this silent awareness, this Pure Silence is always there in you despite the exterior noise, the thoughts, the memories and to recognize it all you need do is stop for one second all the exterior and interior garbage and relax into that stillness at the core of your being. This is that which has been called God itself! This is who you are, your True Self! This is the Nothingness which contains everything! And yet we seek to avoid this at all costs. We are always avoiding this void by hook and by crook. We need to fabricate, manipulate and do.
All peace, all order, all sanity, all goodness, truth and love is right here in you in the Pure Silence that is beyond intellect, beyond will, beyond understanding. Just stop and listen with your soul. Everything is here. Everything is you.
You are that which is is-ness itself.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
STOP!
stopT.gif

Stop
searching, wanting, controlling, needing, doubting, praying, keeping, dreaming, desiring, manipulating, forcing, grasping, fearing, using, wasting, lying, seeking, moving, believing, holding, imagining and thinking.
Whatever is left, when you stop, is who you are. It is silence, pure, real, unnamed, gentle, loving and filled with serenity. In this and from this is joy and freedom.
If you do this right now, I promise you with all my heart, you will be home.
That is where I am calling you.
Please come home.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Haven't read everything you posted, but this quote immediately came to mind as soon as I read the title!

Page 1, Line 5
ਚੁਪੈ ਚੁਪ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਲਾਇ ਰਹਾ ਲਿਵ ਤਾਰ ॥
चुपै चुप न होवई जे लाइ रहा लिव तार ॥
Cẖupai cẖup na hova*ī jė lā*ė rahā liv ṯār.
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

(more quotes on silence)
Sri Granth: Search Results

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Singh Ji,

You've silenced me with this Gurbani quote. SGGS is the essence (Tat) of one's life.

Jorr na surti gian veechaar, Jorr na jugti chuteh sansaar.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Creation
creation.jpg
"In the beginning, the earth was a formless void."
You have probably heard these words before. They are from Torah, the Book of Genesis. The writer who penned these words was obviously aware of Pure Silence and it's profound implications. You see, out of this silence, this stillness, everything that is, is contained. What is creation? It is the forms or manifestations arising, existing and disappearing from, with and into the void of the nothingness of Pure Silence. Some have called this the play of God.
Matter and energy are forms which interact through natural laws and formulas. The universe is a collection of forms contained by Pure Silence. These forms are atoms, molecules and chemicals dancing, sometimes chaotically, and interacting with one another in the solution of silence. Take all of the forms away and what is there that is left? There is just Pure, creative Silence.
Now then, in your own brain is a dance of atoms, molecules and chemicals. After all, animal life is merely a great organism of chemical reactions. Thought is made up of electro-chemical impulses which cross from neural synapse to neural synapse. In other words thoughts are also forms. And within your mind when these forms are not, what is left? All there is is silence: formless, infinite and creative. Forms arise from silence. It is the silence itself which allows creation. All one must do is realize this silence; turn your attention to it fully, now, in your self. From that will expand the creative energy of the universe and you will be trans-"formed."

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Nothing
nt.jpg
Please look at this square. Is this nothing? Really look at it, what do you see? First it has form, it is a square. It has color-black. It is made of digital pixels through your PC and viewed on your monitor. It is not nothing.
Pure Silence is Pure Nothingness. Try to imagine that. Really try, please. Can you picture, visualize, imagine nothing? This is no thing: no space, no air, no breath, no sound, no thought, no feeling and no form. This is a total void. Try again to picture that. What is it that you sense? Be honest with me. What is there in the attempt to imagine no thing?
Your brain will not let you. This concept is far beyond the capacity of the brain to create or imagine. And yet, this is Pure Silence. Nothing is the ground of all being. That which is, exists in the container of nothing: surrounded by nothing, permeated by nothing. So if we are Pure Silence and that is the same as nothing, then logically we are nothing at all. In other words, that which you are is Pure infinite, unbounded Nothingness. Pretty scary stuff, huh?
Now, here's the great revelation. In our willingness to be nothing, to allow our sensibilities, our emotions, our thoughts to end in nothingness, or to become nothing, then we can find tremendous freedom.
The great paradox is in nothingness is peace, freedom and joy.
You are nothing; admit that; be honest with that; look to that and you will be astounded.
That which fills the nothingness is being itself.
Ultimately you will find that they are the same.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
How to enter the Silence
23.gif
The wonder of silence, of being, of God, of nothingness, of awareness is that there is nothing you need to do to get anything or any of it. I repeat there is nothing that needs to be done, by you or anyone else. Pure Silence is, now. Our only problem is that we have been taught and conditioned by years and years of belief systems that we are not in touch with that which is infinite, that which is unnamed, unknowable and all mighty. And so we have invented philosophies and religions and techniques and there have been prophets and messiahs and teachers and gurus and a myriad of self-help seminars and books about it all. I say to you now, you need none of it. There is nothing to find out which is not already here right now. There is nothing to understand, nothing to learn ,nothing to experience, no enlightenment, no salvation, no heaven and no hell, no savior and no devil. There is only a subtle awareness you have right now that you are and that this awareness is gentle, silent and loving.
You are the silence. All you need do is realize that by attending to that. Jesus said "the Kingdom of Heaven is within you." Yes, that is where you should look, within your very being, mind, brain, soul, whatever. See what is always there, always stable, always you. Once you see that, once you feel that, once you know that, there is nothing more to learn or know. Then you start to live your human life with it's myriads of problems and situations out of that. And your life is lived out of this silent peace and anything that arises in your life will be met in the Pure Silence and you will know how to respond to whatever comes your way, in truth, in compassion and in total reliance on that which contains you and is you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This thread is so cool! But you know there are some contradictions already. Moving to nothingness through inner silence is not Gurmat. Finding creative spiritual renewal through silence is Gurmat.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Silence is opposite to noise, if noise is stopped the silence will follow. What is noise? Gurbani addresses it significantly, the noise comes loud from deep attachment of Maya
Sehaj is a state of mind where noise stops, because only love for Him dominates.
ਸਾਧੋ ਰਾਮ ਸਰਨਿ ਬਿਸਰਾਮ
ḏẖo rām saran bisrāmā.
Holy Saadhus: rest and peace are in the Sanctuary of the Lord.
ਮਃ 9
ਬਸੰਤੁ ਮਹਲਾ
Basanṯ mehlā 9.
Basant, Ninth Mehl:

ਮਾਈ ਮੈ ਧਨੁ ਪਾਇਓ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ
Mā*ī mai ḏẖan pā*i*o har nām.
O mother, I have gathered the wealth of the Lord's Name.

ਮਨੁ ਮੇਰੋ ਧਾਵਨ ਤੇ ਛੂਟਿਓ ਕਰਿ ਬੈਠੋ ਬਿਸਰਾਮੁ ਰਹਾਉ
Man mėro ḏẖāvan ṯė cẖẖūti*o kar baiṯẖo bisrām. ||1|| rahā*o.
My mind has stopped its wanderings, and now, it has come to rest. ||1||Pause||
Now question is this “is it possible to get the silence” as defined by many especially in namjap ji’s posts. If it could be, is it ever lasting? If it is temporary then it is not big deal (deep breathing can give you more relaxation) but if it is for ever, then it is worth having all attention. In spiritual enlightening, the cause of the noise is negated for ever lasting silence, no effort is needed then. In jap Ji, as quoted Bhagat Singh ji, efforts are considered vain because they can bring temporary silence, since the things cause noise keep strong hold within. So the things that cause noise, are needed to work on. Guru Nanak relates all causes of noises to “ego” which is loaded with noise creating instincts and urges. Just try to subdue it slowly, a lot of noise will disappear; for complete elimination, process is longer and hard but possible. Gurbani is the best medicine in this regard if taken seriously. In be in love with only Nam is to be devoid of all noises; however, ego doesn’t allow to love HIM.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ਘਰੁ
Sirīrāg mehlā 5 gẖar 5.
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl, Fifth House:

ਜਾਨਉ ਨਹੀ ਭਾਵੈ ਕਵਨ ਬਾਤਾ
Jān*o nahī bẖāvai kavan bāṯā.
I do not know what pleases my Lord.

ਮਨ ਖੋਜਿ ਮਾਰਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Man kẖoj mārag. ||1|| rahā*o.
O mind, seek out the way! ||1||Pause||

ਧਿਆਨੀ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਲਾਵਹਿ
Ḏẖi*ānī ḏẖi*ān lāveh.
The meditatives practice meditation,

ਗਿਆਨੀ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਕਮਾਵਹਿ
Gi*ānī gi*ān kamāveh.
and the wise practice spiritual wisdom,

ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਕਿਨ ਹੀ ਜਾਤਾ ॥੧॥
Parabẖ kin hī jāṯā. ||1||
but how rare are those who know God! ||1||

ਭਗਉਤੀ ਰਹਤ ਜੁਗਤਾ
Bẖag*uṯī rahaṯ jugṯā.
The worshipper of Bhagaauti practices self-discipline,

ਜੋਗੀ ਕਹਤ ਮੁਕਤਾ
Jogī kahaṯ mukṯā.
the Yogi speaks of liberation,

ਤਪਸੀ ਤਪਹਿ ਰਾਤਾ ॥੨॥
Ŧapsī ṯapeh rāṯā. ||2||
and the ascetic is absorbed in asceticism. ||2||

ਮੋਨੀ ਮੋਨਿਧਾਰੀ
Monī moniḏẖārī.
The men of silence observe silence,

ਸਨਿਆਸੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਚਾਰੀ
Sani*āsī barahamcẖārī.
the Sanyaasees observe celibacy,

ਉਦਾਸੀ ਉਦਾਸਿ ਰਾਤਾ ॥੩॥
Uḏāsī uḏās rāṯā. ||3||
and the Udaasees abide in detachment. ||3||

ਭਗਤਿ ਨਵੈ ਪਰਕਾਰਾ
Bẖagaṯ navai parkārā.
There are nine forms of devotional worship.

ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਵੇਦੁ ਪੁਕਾਰਾ
Pandiṯ vėḏ pukārā.
The Pandits recite the Vedas.

ਗਿਰਸਤੀ ਗਿਰਸਤਿ ਧਰਮਾਤਾ ॥੪॥
Girsaṯī girsaṯ ḏẖarmāṯā. ||4||
The householders assert their faith in family life. ||4||

ਇਕ ਸਬਦੀ ਬਹੁ ਰੂਪਿ ਅਵਧੂਤਾ
Ik sabḏī baho rūp avḏẖūṯā.
Those who utter only One Word, those who take many forms, the naked renunciates,

ਕਾਪੜੀ ਕਉਤੇ ਜਾਗੂਤਾ
Kāpṛī ka*uṯė jāgūṯā.
the wearers of patched coats, the magicians, those who remain always awake,

ਇਕਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਤਾ ॥੫॥
Ik ṯirath nāṯā. ||5||
and those who bathe at holy places of pilgrimage-||5||

ਨਿਰਹਾਰ ਵਰਤੀ ਆਪਰਸਾ
Nirhār varṯī āprasā.
Those who go without food, those who never touch others,

ਇਕਿ ਲੂਕਿ ਦੇਵਹਿ ਦਰਸਾ
Ik lūk na ḏėveh ḏarsā.
the hermits who never show themselves,
ਇਕਿ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਗਿਆਤਾ ॥੬॥
इकि मन ही गिआता ॥६॥
Ik man hī gi*āṯā. ||6||
and those who are wise in their own minds-||6||

ਘਾਟਿ ਕਿਨ ਹੀ ਕਹਾਇਆ
Gẖāt na kin hī kahā*i*ā.
Of these, no one admits to any deficiency;

ਸਭ ਕਹਤੇ ਹੈ ਪਾਇਆ
Sabẖ kahṯė hai pā*i*ā.
all say that they have found the Lord.

ਜਿਸੁ ਮੇਲੇ ਸੋ ਭਗਤਾ ॥੭॥
Jis mėlė so bẖagṯā. ||7||
But he alone is a devotee, whom the Lord has united with Himself. ||7||

ਸਗਲ ਉਕਤਿ ਉਪਾਵਾ
Sagal ukaṯ upāvā.
All devices and contrivances,

ਤਿਆਗੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਪਾਵਾ
Ŧi*āgī saran pāvā.
I have abondened and sought His Sanctuary.

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣਿ ਪਰਾਤਾ ॥੮॥੨॥੨੭॥
Nanak gur cẖaraṇ parāṯā. ||8||2||27||
Nanak has fallen at the Feet of the Guru. ||8||2||27||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Love
love.h1.jpg
Perhaps there is no other word in the English language that has been written about as much. There is a reason for that.
Love is Pure Silence.
Love is the great allowing. Love lets it be! The silence is love. For love creates all that is. Love lets it happen, arise and disappear. There is only this.
It has been said "God is love." Yes that is true. God, the nothingness, reality, Truth, awareness, Pure silence and love are just words which describe in some small way that which is right now beyond all the images, the noise, the thoughts. This is in you; this is you. You know that; you are that.
As I was brought up through childhood, I was taught there are three things for we humans to love: God, Neighbor and self. Pure Silence allows me to expound on that for you now.
Love of God: This is the allowing or acceptance of reality to be as it is with no interest in trying to change or control that which is eternal and can not be controlled or manipulated. I am a Witness to reality. I allow all that is to arise in the Pure Silence. I allow God (reality, love, silence, awareness, nothingness) to be independent of any thoughts or opinions of my own.
Love of Neighbor: For our purposes, all living things are neighbors. And therefore I allow all this life to be without trying to change or control any of it. I enjoy life as it is and treasure it as gift arisen from Pure Silence. Life is a great collective and I am a part; I am merely a small dot. What right then do I have to kill, damage, abuse or destroy any of it? To love our fellow creatures means to allow them to be free, how and as they already are. It does not mean to put up with injustice and that which is perceived as false, insincere and evil. Rather, it means allowing the truth in all beings to be revealed.
Love of Self:
Logic would dictate that self-love would involve the allowance of your you-ness to blossom, without control or manipulation. This is indeed true. This is also the greatest challenge because most of us are completely unaware of who we really are. How can I love or accept or allow that which I do not even know? Once you understand that you are the same Pure Silent nothingness from which everything arises and that your life itself has arisen in this silence and continues in this, and will return to this and there is nothing you can do to change, alter or manipulate this, then you can begin to see that you have evaded that which you are from a very young age. Accept that you are nothing but a form that has arisen from silence, allow your life to blossom like a flower, believe in the beauty and uniqueness of your own form and you will see how easy it is to accept all that you are and allow your self to be without any conditions or opinions.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The Natural State
natura2.jpg
To learn the secrets of life and existence we merely need to look at the natural world around us. When you look at nature, at the mountains, the sky, the clouds you can immediately see and feel a present stillness, a continuing echo of being emanating outwards, a real presence which is tranquil, gentle, silent, unhurried, open and free. This is the natural state of being.
natura3.jpg
Look at our brethren in the animal word, also see the natural state of being: one of gentleness, peace, awareness and silence. There may be times of excitement and death and violence and turmoil, but always there is a return to this natural state of being. There is no effort in the return. After a deer is slaughtered by some larger beast of prey, the herd relaxes and begins to graze again, humbly, gently and with the greatest ease.
Learn from this. See this. We have the same being. We are no different from the flowers growing, blossoming and dying. Each is different in form but each follows the natural course. Why must we make it so difficult? It is ease itself. Let go of everything but the simple awareness of this moment, just for this moment, this moment of Pure Silence, whether sitting, walking, driving, resting or running. Here there is peace. Here is your freedom, your home, your timeless eternity. Rest here a while. You do not need the mountains, the animals, the ocean, the sky to do this. You do not need anything at all. You are everything. You are this silent moment of mystery. Enjoy it.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥
Pa*oṛī.
Pauree:

ਕਾਇਆ ਕੋਟੁ ਅਪਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਹਟਨਾਲੇ
काइआ कोटु अपारु है अंदरि हटनाले ॥
Kā*i*ā kot apār hai anḏar hatnālė.
The human body is a great fortress, with its shops and streets within.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਉਦਾ ਜੋ ਕਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਵਸਤੁ ਸਮਾਲੇ
गुरमुखि सउदा जो करे हरि वसतु समाले ॥
Gurmukẖ sa*uḏā jo karė har vasaṯ samālė.
The Gurmukh who comes to trade gathers the cargo of the Lord's Name.

ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਵਣਜੀਐ ਹੀਰੇ ਪਰਵਾਲੇ
नामु निधानु हरि वणजीऐ हीरे परवाले ॥
Nām niḏẖān har vaṇjī*ai hīrė parvālė.
He deals in the treasure of the Lord's Name, the jewels and the diamonds.

ਵਿਣੁ ਕਾਇਆ ਜਿ ਹੋਰ ਥੈ ਧਨੁ ਖੋਜਦੇ ਸੇ ਮੂੜ ਬੇਤਾਲੇ
विणु काइआ जि होर थै धनु खोजदे से मूड़ बेताले ॥
viṇ kā*i*ā je hor thai ḏẖan kẖojḏė sė mūṛ bėṯālė.
Those who search for this treasure outside of the body, in other places, are foolish demons.

ਸੇ ਉਝੜਿ ਭਰਮਿ ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ ਜਿਉ ਝਾੜ ਮਿਰਗੁ ਭਾਲੇ ॥੧੫॥
से उझड़ि भरमि भवाईअहि जिउ झाड़ मिरगु भाले ॥१५॥
Sė ujẖaṛ bẖaram bẖavā*ī*ah ji*o jẖāṛ mirag bẖālė. ||15||
They wander around in the wilderness of doubt, like the deer who searches for the musk in the bushes. ||15||

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Spiritual Practice
spirit1.jpg
Pure Silence is here and now. There is nothing you can do to make yourself experience it or be aware of it. However, by allowing the thought patterns of the mind to quiet, by attending to the silence itself, without concept, without force, without direction you will quietly and most subtly realize that which is always here.
There have been various forms of meditative or contemplative practices in the various spiritual traditions, all declaring their various benefits for the practitioner. I offer one simple grain of advice. Silence is free to all. There are no masters and no disciples. One second of complete attentive awareness of Pure Silence has and is the same effect of having been a meditator for 30 years. Sorry to inform you but you have not earned points or merit because you have spent 4 hours a day in deep meditation, or hours on your knees asking forgiveness from a guilt ridden conscience. Pure Silence cradles all equally, even our neighbors in the animal kingdom. Once you do realize the wondrous joy of silent loving awareness, you also realize how absolutely ridiculous any method you've tried in the past has been.
Physical silence is wonderful for the body and the brain. By sitting still and calmly witnessing all that arises, we can learn to enjoy silence as the friend which it is. All memory will arise eventually in the silence if we allow it to be; this can be wonderfully healing. But if we are looking for any thing more than that or looking for an experience or something to take away from the silence, we will be sadly mistaken and could even be causing damage to our psyche. Remember, you cannot take a piece of infinity and run away with it. Infinity is just that, it contains your own very being. You are this Pure Silence itself. You already have everything you need. You are already free, already saved, already enlightened, you are Nirvana and Samadhi. You do not need a condition of no-mind or see Delta brain waves vibrating on an EEG machine. You are already there or shall I say--here. Having been a meditator for some time and having had all sorts of experiences, please believe me when I say, they are all nothing. I repeat, these experiences are nothing at all. What is important is right in this moment, in the stillness of here and now. Trust this alone. In this silent space is reality itself. All the practice does is show us very humbly and symbolically what we must do in every life event. That is to be still as a witness to all that arises.
Namaste!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
You do not need a condition of no-mind or see Delta brain waves vibrating on an EEG machine.

:rofl!!:
Reminds me of the Silva Mind Control course I attended in 1980.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM