• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

World Punjab Farmers In Demand In Mongolia, Sudan

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Chandigarh, July 31
Farmers of the state may head for Mongolia soon with the Ministry of External Affairs considering a proposal to send them to farm land in that country for six months every year.

It may also take up the issue of opening a visa office at Amritsar and has asked its Ambassador in Spain to expedite the case for release of police verification certificates of around 5,000 immigrants, according to Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur.

In an interview with TNS, Preneet Kaur, said the Mongolian offer had come about during her recent trip to that country. She said the Mongolian government envisaged using Punjab farmers to cultivate land during the six-month summer spell.

The minister said the government proposed opening up a strip of land suitable for sowing of wheat and other seasonal crops to Punjab farmers. She said a company was likely to be formed to facilitate the movement of farmers to and from Punjab.

Preneet said, "Ethiopia also wants Punjab farmers and I feel Ukraine will also welcome Punjab farmers". She said she would take up this issue during her visit to Ukraine shortly.

This coupled with an offer from Sudan, which has one million square miles available for cultivation with only 20 per cent under the plough right now, opens up agricultural vistas for Punjab farmers like never before. Punjab farmers are already cultivating land in Australia and Argentina besides the US and Canada.

The minister also disclosed that there was a demand to open up a visa office in Amritsar considering the fact that an international airport had come up in the city.

She said this however would not help those seeking a visa to Pakistan as the Home ministry cleared all such visa applications.

When questioned on the issue of expediting the release of police clearance certificates to nearly 5,000 Punjabis whose future was at stake in Spain, she said the Indian Ambassador in Spain had been asked to expedite the process of release of the certificates. "The ministry can stamp forms only after the Spanish government approves the format of the forms necessary for this purpose. We had sent the form format three weeks ago but have still not got it back". She said once this was received, the necessary clearance would be given immediately to all those who fit the bill.

Asked to comment on the denial of right to Sikh children to wear the turban in state schools in France, she said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had taken up the issue with the French President. "A couple of points which could help resolve the issue have also been submitted and we hope to get a positive response from France", she added.

Meanwhile, Punjabis living on the border in Dera Baba Nanak and demanding a corridor to visit Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan could be in for a disappointment with the minister saying establishment of a corridor to facilitate pilgrims was not possible as of now.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I think it is very good for Indian farmers to move to countries where land is plentiful and
shortage of farmers as Farming is last choice of profession by educated youths

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
But for anyone who would go, please know in advance that both are countries with a strong islamist influence. Muslim fundamentalism is on the rise in Mongolia. And in Sudan Sharia is followed very harshly.

I cannot erase what has happened to our brothers and sisters in Pakistan where things are not improving. and yet a few months ago, who would have thought.

I am only saying -- Be careful, be wary!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
But for anyone who would go, please know in advance that both are countries with a strong islamist influence. Muslim fundamentalism is on the rise in Mongolia. And in Sudan Sharia is followed very harshly.

I cannot erase what has happened to our brothers and sisters in Pakistan where things are not improving. and yet a few months ago, who would have thought.

I am only saying -- Be careful, be wary!

Narayanjot ji

I thnk you are mistaken ABOUT Mongolia
Sudan has lot of islamic influence but mongolia is bUdhist

Mongolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to the CIA World Factbook[31] and the U.S. Department of State[32], 50% of Mongolia's population follow the Tibetan Buddhism, 40% are listed as having no religion, 6% are Shamanist and Christian, and 4% are Muslim.

Anyway Ukraine too has shown interest in farmers from Punjab and may be in Future Russia with its pleanty of land could want Farmers

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
ji

I was very careful to speak of islamic influence in Mongolia as an emerging trend. Even the Chinese government is keeping a wary eye.

Mongolian Matters Islamic Find in Mongolia

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Urumqi-China/Mongolian-Islamic-Liberation-Front/67468401085

But still muslims are barely 4% and I don't think 4% people can influence entire country.On the other hand in India there are around 15% -20% and islamic influence and fundamentalism is growing.So from the point of view of
islamic fundamentalism India is much unsafe then mongolia .The only things Sikhs and hindu's farmer need's to do is not to make their farms in Muslim dominated area's of Mongolia

i dont get it. what are the details of this system;
are these governments giving away free land or will they be leasing it to the newly arriving punjabi farmers with some sort of heavy subsidy? or are they just looking for labour? or are they looking for direct investment?

i think it would be a horrendous decision for a punjabi farmer to move to Mongolia or Sudan, permanently.

first off if any farmer has a net value worth around $200k they can get business visa's/agriculture based immigration to most western countries.

secondly, india is growing at 10% a year and land prices are on fire...why move your property now? why not wait and ride this economic wave of success a bit more?...why go to an unstable country where investment in real-estate is more risky or a country where there are hardly any enforcement of laws and horrendous property rights violations (sudan).

even for the small farmer in punjab, it is a risky venture.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sinister ji

" i think it would be a horrendous decision for a punjabi farmer to move to Mongolia or Sudan, permanently. "

I certainly would think more than twice. It is a very risky venture. And speaks to how desperate these countries are for development.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i dont get it. what are the details of this system;
are these governments giving away free land or will they be leasing it to the newly arriving punjabi farmers with some sort of heavy subsidy? or are they just looking for labour? or are they looking for direct investment?

i think it would be a horrendous decision for a punjabi farmer to move to Mongolia or Sudan, permanently.

first off if any farmer has a net value worth around $200k they can get business visa's/agriculture based immigration to most western countries.

secondly, india is growing at 10% a year and land prices are on fire...why move your property now? why not wait and ride this economic wave of success a bit more?...why go to an unstable country where investment in real-estate is more risky or a country where there are hardly any enforcement of laws and horrendous property rights violations (sudan).

even for the small farmer in punjab, it is a risky venture.

Sinister

Do you really think farmers are good economists? Its true that land prices are on fire ,but what about running income .you need money for your present needs.What about the farmers that are in Debt.Do you think that banks or money lenders will wait till they sell their lands in future.Any farmer will prefer to earn a reguler income rather than watching its land price like a share.

Sinister ji

" i think it would be a horrendous decision for a punjabi farmer to move to Mongolia or Sudan, permanently. "

I certainly would think more than twice. It is a very risky venture. And speaks to how desperate these countries are for development.

N. Kaur ji

the details have not been shared yet...maybe they still haven't been ironed out...if the farmers get lucrative contracts as educators or some skilled worker/management role in agri-business then it would be worth considering (as you would be doing something productive for the country and thus your presence would be viewed as positive in the host community).
I also think it is ok if people go there as a waged labourer or a skilled worker...especially if their conditions in punjab are entirely desperate.

but as a place of investment...most of those countries are off my list...i would be skeptical and definately look somewhere else.

right?

Sinister

Do you really think farmers are good economists? Its true that land prices are on fire ,but what about running income .you need money for your present needs.What about the farmers that are in Debt.Do you think that banks or money lenders will wait till they sell their lands in future.Any farmer will prefer to earn a reguler income rather than watching its land price like a share.

but i know of plenty of small farmers in punjab that earn a living off the land.

In fact, the last time i checked there appears to be an influx of workers into punjab looking to fill slots of employment. If a Bihari can find a job so can a small punjabi farmer find means of alternative employment. right?

a growing portion of small farmers are in debt, no doubt...but there is plenty of oppurtunity in punjab itself to make money. selling your nest egg and running off to a foreign market without foresight is just foolish especially with a language/cultural barrier and no social network to lean back on. it is incredibely risky.

also markets in punjab are far more accessible, liquid and transparent.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
but i know of plenty of small farmers in punjab that earn a living off the land.

In fact, the last time i checked there appears to be an influx of workers into punjab looking to fill slots of employment. If a Bihari can find a job so can a small punjabi farmer find means of alternative employment. neh?

a growing portion of small farmers are in debt, no doubt...but there is plenty of oppurtunity in punjab itself to make money. selling your nest egg and running off to a foreign market without foresight is just foolish especially with a language/cultural barrier and no social network to lean back on. it is incredibely risky.

also markets in punjab are far more accessible, liquid and transparent.

The case of Bihari labourers is different .It is kind of labour exploitation.No farmer who own's land will prefer to work with Bihari labour because of low wage and social prestige.He will become a laughing stock among his relative.In india there are states where there is extreme poverty and cases of malnutrition and starvation are also heard but still we don't hear cases of suicide from these states .On the other hand it is always land owning small farmers In India who commits suicide.The main reason behind it that they cannot accept decline of their status.

You are right selling your nest is not good.But it is a reality that farmers are selling land and moving to countries through agents illegally.Atleast here everything is legal and farmers know where they are moving and what they have to do.So in present circumstances it is quite better than moving illegally.If you find economic oppurtunity in Punjab or India it is best but if there is no option then it is much better than paying money to agents.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: