• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Protests In India Over The Desecration Of A Holy Text Leave Two Dead

Nov 23, 2010
From Time.com
World India

gettyimages-492657062.jpg

Sikh community staging a demonstration over the alleged desecration of a holy book at Baghapurana in Moga, India, on Oct. 14, 2015

Dozens were also injured at the protests in Punjab

The alleged desecration of a holy Sikh book prompted widespread street protests in northern India on Wednesday, with two demonstrators killed after police opened fire on a crowd.

Police also used tear gas and sticks to disperse protesters earlier in the day, injuring around 80 people in the Faridkot district of the state of Punjab, the Indian Express newspaper reported.

Torn pages of the Guru Granth Sahib, the sacred text of the Sikh religion that many in Punjab follow, were found in a nearby village three days ago. The book was reportedly stolen from a nearby Sikh temple (known as a Gurudwara), where an anonymous note, containing a slogan used by a popular spiritual sect, was reportedly found in its place.

Most of the protesters’ anger was directed at the sect, the Dera Sacha Sauda, although the group’s founder denied involvement and said his organization respected all religions.

The state’s deputy chief minister called for peace and termed the holy book’s defacing as a “deep-rooted conspiracy aimed at inciting communal tension and destabilizing the peace in Punjab.”

Here's a link to a change.org petition
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-bbc-re...utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
What's the goss on Dera Sacha Sauda? Why would they desecrate Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji? :(

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
signed the petition. its really sad . I wonder who's behind it ? rss ? dera leaders ? god knows who
sikh history seems to be repeating itself

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Dera sacha sauda is another branch of RSS

Actually you are right and I stand corrected. Just learned something new:
http://www.supremeknowledge.org/dera-sacha-sauda.php

I don't understand why anyone would want to destroy any holy scripture. Whilst I am not a fan of aspects of Islam, I would never endorse desecration of the Koran. I remain speechless when this sort of thing happens. These are not men of God. These are stupid and ignorant people

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
heard it on the news that its a deed of an amrithdari woman and was supported by a granthi in this deed ! (YEAH YOU CAN HAVE THAT DEEP GASP OF UNBELIEF)
but thats what I heard. She was promised 1 lac rupees if she tore SGGS. apparently by some congressi or some dera sacha sauda leader.
but she didn't receive her money

makes you wonder how many of these amritdharis are hollow on the inside. just goes on to prove wearing 5 ks doesn't make u anymore of a sikh !

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM