• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Prohibitions And Prescriptions

Quisitor

SPNer
Apr 15, 2013
Brothers and sisters, I have recently begun to explore the tenets of Sikhism and I hope that someone can answer me this question:

There are many prohibitions in Sikhism, and the one I feel is most important is the prohibition against blind spirituality, idolatry, ritual, and other harmful nonsense of this kind. Blind acceptance without reflection or investigation is the ultimate sin for one who seeks truth.

So should one not carefully assess every other tenet and practice of the faith, and adopt only the ones that are self-evident or otherwise conform to an individual's reason? Surely one should avoid deceitfulness, adultery, addiction and other things that are clearly harmful to the body and soul; but is there harm inherent in the cutting or trimming of hair, even body or facial hair? Is there meaning in the wearing of kacchera when modern undergarments would suffice? Have the 5 Ks any inherent importance or value that elevates them above the status of mere religious adherence? If no ritual gives spiritual value to meat, what difference does it make how it was slaughtered, beyond concerns of animal welfare and avoidance of food contamination? And who decides what methods of slaughter are humane? Must marriage be a religious ceremony and not simply a contract registered with a civil institution?

I am troubled that so many facets of the faith appear to my eyes to bear the mark of superstition, when the Gurus command against any such thing.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
So should one not carefully assess every other tenet and practice of the faith, and adopt only the ones that are self- evident or otherwise conform to an individual's reason? Surely one should avoid deceitfulness, adultery, addiction and other things that are clearly harmful to the body and soul; but is there harm inherent in the cutting or trimming of hair, even body or facial hair? Is there meaning in the wearing of kacchera when modern undergarments would suffice? Have the 5 Ks any inherent importance or value that elevates them above the status of mere religious adherence? If no ritual gives spiritual value to meat, what difference does it make how it was slaughtered, beyond concerns of animal welfare and avoidance of food contamination? And who decides what methods of slaughter are humane? Must marriage be a religious ceremony and not simply a contract registered with a civil institution?
Most of these questions have already been discussed many times over in various threads.Restarting such discussions would be futile.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM