• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Portrait Emerges Of Victim In New Delhi Gang Rape

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
She was studious, ambitious and about to be married.
Her parents had sold off land and scrimped on food to pay for her and her brothers’ education. She came to India’s capital to pursue dreams of being a doctor, from a tiny farming village that regularly suffered drought and floods.

Details about the life of the 23-year-old New Delhi gang rape victim, who died on Saturday, began to trickle out over the weekend, as relatives and neighbors spoke publicly for the first time since the woman was raped by several men in a moving bus, assaulted with an iron rod and dumped on the side of a highway.

For nearly two weeks, as she battled for life, first at a hospital in New Delhi and then in Singapore, hundreds of Indians poured onto the streets in angry protests praying for her demanding justice. On Sunday, as the victim was cremated in a private ceremony in New Delhi, a picture emerged of her life, her family and her dreams. Her name has not been disclosed.

From a Hindu family of modest means, the victim, who was studying physiotherapy, was a “brilliant” and “hard working” student who had doggedly pursued a medical education. “She had made up her mind very early that she wanted to become a doctor,” The Hindu newspaper quoted Lalji Singh, who said he was the victim’s uncle.

The victim’s parents had moved to New Delhi from a small town called Ballia in Uttar Pradesh, among hundreds of Indians who migrate to large Indian cities in search of a better future for their children. Her father worked as a loader with a private airline at New Delhi’s international airport, according to The Hindustan Times.

He had invested heavily in his children’s education, even selling his ancestral property, “so that their aspirations could be fulfilled,” Mr. Singh was quoted as saying. Her father always encouraged her to shine in life, and, unlike many traditional families who save first for their daughter’s marriage, he spared no expense for her education, the Times of India said.

Her father’s sacrifices sparked in the victim a determination to succeed at an early age. As a teenager, she reportedly gave lessons to younger children to supplement the household income. A role model for those in her neighborhood, her parents hoped her two younger siblings would emulate her. She was determined to start earning so she could repay her father, Indian media reported.

On Sunday evening, reports suggested that the victim was preparing for her marriage in February. “They had made all the wedding preparations and had planned a wedding party in Delhi,” Agence France-Presse quoted Meena Rai, who said she had accompanied the victim on shopping trips.
She told her family she had battled her attackers, her brother told India Today. “While she was admitted in hospital, she told me that she fought back as hard as she could. She was defending herself by beating and biting them.”

The victim last spoke to her family on Wednesday, her brother said. “She asked me if I had taken my dinner. I answered yes. She then told me that I should sleep. She said, ‘aap so jao, main bhi ab soungi’ (you go to sleep, I will also sleep),” he said. “Then she embraced my hand and slept as a tear dropped from the corner of her eye. Those were her last words to me. Thereafter, she never gained consciousness and didn’t talk to any of us.”

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/portrait-emerges-of-victim-in-new-delhi-gang-rape/

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kanwaljit ji

To protect the family, its privacy and the dignity to grieve without the world as spectator. Even though millions are broken in spirit by the monstrous cries against "Nirbaya" none can really say honestly that we share or feel the family's pain. Theirs is a wounding pain. They are not feeling loss on the world stage. They are grieved of a daughter, sister, niece, cousin. We are grieved of "Nirbaya" what she stands for. Two completely different things. However much pain and outrage we feel, we do not feel what they feel. They really do need us to stay out, allow them peace and acknowledge their's is a private grief.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
I don't know why her photo and name are not being shared? Is the govt afraid that it would leave an imprint on public's memory? Maybe her name is so common that thousands of daughters and sisters share it!

Section 228 IPC prohibits disclosure of the identity of the victim of rape. Under section 376 IPC it is not lawful for any person to print or publish any matter in relation to the examination of rape victim except by permission of the court.

BlazinSikh

SPNer
May 6, 2011
Croydon, London, England
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Man this sort of stuff really fuel my anger, what sort of human beings can even think of an act to rape any women, especially a hard working woman. I am not the one to judge, but the punishment these men should get, should be the same way the romans used to punish prisinors (Gladiator style), then we will see what manly-ship these so called men will bring in to a room full of lions, tigers, gorilla's, and really strong human. Every woman should be looked at and considered the Daughter of God, not the Daugther of Maya. :angryyoungkaur:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Posted as another thread here at SPN, there is news today that Kerala police have asked Facebook to remove the fake photo of the gang-rape victim, Nirbaya. So this aspect of the emerging portrait is not seeing the light of day. Maybe the best way to visualize her is to cherish in memory the image of a daughter, sister, cousin, aunt, mother or close friend... any and all are possible victims of rape and murder. That might be the better portrait, because it would not be the image of a victim for the week, or month, or year. It would be a a portrait of the greater reach of this problem, that rape and violence against women stalks all of us in one way or the other. Both victim and rapist, all women and all men, society and an indifferent legal system, the public and its governments, are sullied in spirit as long as the problem is a legal abstraction that pays lip-service to rape victims, and the reality fails to hit home.

Story about the Kerala cops at this link:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/states...-photo-of-gang-rape-victim/article4268971.ece

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM