• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Pope: Jews Not To Blame For Christ's Crucifixion

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Pope: Jews not to blame for Christ's crucifixion

By Nick Squires, The Daily Telegraph - March 2, 2011 3:08 PM

http://www.{censored}/4073582.bin

Pope Benedict XVI says, in a new book, that all Jews are not responsible for Christ's death.

Photograph by: Christophe Simon, AFP-Getty Images file

The Pope has exonerated the Jewish people for the death of Christ, insisting that they must not be collectively blamed for his death.

In a study he has written of Christ's life, Jesus of Nazareth, Pope Benedict XVI said those at fault were the small number of Jewish priests and leaders who called for Christ's crucifixion.

The Roman Catholic Church has maintained for decades that Jews were not responsible for Christ's execution, most notably in 1965 with a document titled Nostra Aetate but the new book underlines that teaching.

While some of the Gospels refer to all Jewish people calling for Christ's crucifixion, it was in fact the "temple aristocracy", who demanded his crucifixion after his trial by Pontius Pilate, the Pope wrote. In doing so, he challenged interpretations of the Bible which have been used for centuries to justify the persecution of Jews.

"St Matthew attributes the request for the crucifixion of Jesus to 'all the people'. But he cannot be stating a historical fact: how could the entire Jewish people have been present at this moment to call for the death of Jesus?" the Pope wrote. "The historical reality appears in St John and St Mark. The true accusers were those circulating in the temple at the time."

The Vatican has released extracts of the book, ahead of its full publication on March 10, in English and six other languages.

© Copyright (c) The Daily Telegraph

source
:http://www.{censored}/life/Pope+Jews+blame+Christ+crucifixion/4372605/story.html

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Ah well...after some 2000 years I guess it's nice that the Catholic Church has recognised it is wrong to blame an entire race ...yes, AN ENTIRE RACE, for these events

However, I wonder what Mel Gibson and has Father would have to say though....
:grinningsingh:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
It was meant to be anyways, for Christ to die to fulfill the covenant of the father

Dear Arovoreen73 Ji

Welcome to SPN!

As an aside, (I can't help myself - sorry), I would have to state that I do not believe the "Prophecy" you refer to. Yes the coming of a new saviour was prophesied in the Old Testament but as the New Testament was written several decades after Christ's death, I find your statement above difficult to accept

My idea of a Prophecy, and no doubt for many others, is something that is accurately stated and foretold before the event occurs and not afterwards

But we have gone off topic so apologies for that

What is your view on the fact that the Christian Church and many of its followers condemned an entire race of people for the actions of one individual and has only corrected this mistake thousands of years later?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: