• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Plato’s Metaphors: The Chariot Allegory

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
by Neel Burton in Philosophy, Psychiatry/psychology Tags: artist, chariot, Forms, God, heaven, Phaedrus, philosopher, Plato, Socrates, soul, the chariot allegory, the soul as a chariot with winged horses, true lover, universals, winged horses

Le Char d'Apollon, Odilon Redon

In the Phaedrus Socrates compares the soul to a chariot with a charioteer and a pair of winged horses. Whereas the chariot of a god has two good horses, that of a human being has one good horse and one bad, unruly horse that is the cause of much hardship for the charioteer. The soul, he says,

…has the care of inanimate being everywhere, and traverses the whole heaven in divers forms appearing – when perfect and fully winged she soars upward, and orders the whole world; whereas the imperfect soul, losing her wings and drooping in her flight at last settles on the solid ground – there, finding a home, she receives an earthly frame which appears to be self-moved, but is really moved by her power; and this composition of soul and body is called a living and mortal creature.

The chariot of a god is able to soar to the top of the vault of heaven, such that the god is able to step outside the rim of heaven and contemplate the colourless, formless, intangible essence of reality. The revolution of the spheres carries the god round and back again to the same place, and in the space of this circle he feasts his mind upon justice, temperance, and knowledge, not in the form of generation or relation, which men call existence, but in their absolute, universal form.

Despite their bad, unruly horse, the chariots of the imperfect souls that are most alike to the gods are able to ascend high enough for their charioteers to lift their heads above the rim of heaven and catch a fleeting glimpse of the universals. However, the rest are not strong enough to ascend so high, and are left to feed their mind on nothing more than opinion.

In time, all imperfect souls fall back to earth, but only those that have seen something of the universals can take on a human form; human beings are by their nature able to recollect universals, and so must once have seen them. The imperfect souls that have gazed longest upon the universals are incarnated as philosophers, artists, and true lovers. As they are still able to remember the universals, they are completely absorbed in ideas about them and forget all about earthly interests. Common people think that they are mad, but the truth is that they are divinely inspired and in love with goodness and beauty.

Adapted from Plato’s Shadow
http://outre-monde.com/2010/09/27/platos-metaphors-the-chariot-allegory/

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Harry Haller ji thanks for the post.

I excerpt the following and if it truly is true to what Plato meant I have a comment,
The imperfect souls that have gazed longest upon the universals are incarnated as philosophers, artists, and true lovers. As they are still able to remember the universals, they are completely absorbed in ideas about them and forget all about earthly interests. Common people think that they are mad, but the truth is that they are divinely inspired and in love with goodness and beauty.
Isn't in the above statement Plato generalizing about a class that one would more likely associate him with? Why would a great person like him need to self describe oneself in such terms or other associates? Is it insecurity or ego?

I am nobody compared to such people but just am curious!

Thanks.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
in the Phaedrus Socrates compares the soul to a chariot with a charioteer and a pair of winged horses.

Ambarsariaji,

well observed, I hope I have an explanation, maybe they saw themselves as mathematicians

I am nobody compared to such people but just am curious!

you have no idea how many people you have inspired my dear friend, if it were not for you I would still be an atheist

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Brother Harry, you are too generous. I think it is Karma lol:mundahug:

It is never one way. I have enjoyed and learnt from you perhaps even more.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM