• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Perfoming Kirtan In Community Halls

hardeep23

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
To all respected members

I am involved in an discussion regarding kirtan in halls other than gurudwara.
My opinion is why should we hire a hall when we already got the infrastructure in gurudwara and we can give due respect to GURU SAHIB.

Why can not we travel to GURU.
The only set back i see is that then the organisors may not able to take lion's share from the offerings. Hence it will not solve their purpose of service.

Hardeep Singh Badhesha

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
hardeep23 said:
To all respected members

I am involved in an discussion regarding kirtan in halls other than gurudwara.
My opinion is why should we hire a hall when we already got the infrastructure in gurudwara and we can give due respect to GURU SAHIB.

Why can not we travel to GURU.
The only set back i see is that then the organisors may not able to take lion's share from the offerings. Hence it will not solve their purpose of service.

Hardeep Singh Badhesha

IF there is an AVAILABLE GURDWARA nearby..then there is NO REASON to hire a hall...unless the Gurdwara is not big anough or something.

In MALAYSIA..on a Yearly basis the Premier Sikh Organisation the Sikh naujawan Sabha rents out a Govt SIKH YOUTH HALL for a Vasakhi Kirtan Darbar. They pay a hefty sum as rental...plus they know very well that for the rest of the years 360 days..the Hall is used by NON-SIKHS for other activites such as sports /wedding parties etc etc. They have their own reason/s to do this...even though in the of Kuala Lumput there is a Gurdwara Sahib that has a Darbar sahib bigger than the Hall.

But this restriction shouldnt apply as a BLANKET RESTRICTION... or people wont be able to have kirtan/akhand paaths at home/near their home ( in a School hall for example...). The GURU GRANTH JI can Go where His SIKHS can go...( those "sikhs" that Break the Rehat maryada are excluded from this description of sikhs)..
IN FACT as Guru Ji declares GHAR GHAR UNDER DHARMSAAL...the "GURDWARA" should be where it is conveneirnt to all..so a "Temporary gurdawara" can be made in a Warehouse/school hall/community Hall..keeping in mind the RESPECT for GURU JI and the MARYADA.

Jarnail Singh Gyani

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM