• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pauri Five

NeutralSingh

SPNer
Jun 9, 2004
QwipAw n jwie kIqw n hoie ] Awpy Awip inrMjnu soie ] ijin syivAw iqin pwieAw mwnu ] nwnk gwvIAY guxI inDwnu ] gwvIAY suxIAY min rKIAY Bwau ] duKu prhir suKu Gir lY jwie ] gurmuiK nwdM gurmuiK vydM gurmuiK rihAw smweI ] guru eIsru guru gorKu brmw guru pwrbqI mweI ] jy hau jwxw AwKw nwhI khxw kQnu n jweI ] gurw iek dyih buJweI ] sBnw jIAw kw ieku dwqw so mY ivsir n jweI ]5]

NeutralSingh

SPNer
Jun 9, 2004
Japji Sahib Commentary/ Translated by Master Teja Singh

Pauri 5

He is self-existent and Eternal. He has not been established or created by any one. (Unlike worldly gods or godesses whom people set up in their temples or other places of worship). He is the One-in-all and the All-in-one. He reveals Himself in His creation and reveals in its glory but is unattached to everything.

He who meditates on His name as the Eternal Reality gets the gifts of self-realization or God consciousness, and attains eternal greatness both Here and Hereafter. Sayeth Nanak, sing the praises of Him who is the treasure house of all virtues and noble qualities.

By this singing and listening to His praises with rapt attention and filling our mind with His love and devotion we get freedom from attachment-the source of all worries and trouble - and attain self-realization, the haven of eternal peace and bliss.

In the second part of this verse, Satguru Nanak Dev Ji declares that in the path of Prema Bhagti (losing oneself in the Eternal Divine by meditation on his name) one need not depend on outward props, which the followers of Yog Marag or Pranayam do. For the follower of this path absolute and complete faith in the Guru is essential.

So Guru Nanak says

The spoken words of the Satguru who has realized the Truth is the rhythmical sound on which I have to fix my mind. The Guru's word is the source of True knowledge for me. It makes me realize the Divine, everywhere and in everything.

The Satguru is my Isher (Shiv – destroyer). The Guru is my Vishnu (the protector and the feeder). The Guru is my Brahma (the creator) and the Guru is my Parbati (the goddess of knowledge and wealth). The greatness of the Guru is so boundless, even if I realize it, I cannot express it in words, as it is beyond the reach of human language.

Note : By meditating on the Divine name and singing His praises with complete love and devotion, a time comes when one realizes the Divine within. The veil of ignorance, the attachment to the body and the world, is removed, and one feels His presence both within and without. The heart becomes intuned with the Infinite. Just like a drop in the ocean, the ocean and the drop become one, but the drop cannot express the greatness of the ocean. God is the subject matter of consciousness. He is beyond the limited intellect of man. He can be realized, but cannot be expressed in words just as joy and sorrow are felt, but cannot be described in words.

Through the grace of the Satguru I have realized that He alone is the Bestower of all the gifts to His creation. Every moment 1 feel His presence within me, and I live, move and have my being in Him.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM