• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pain And Suffering

rahmat

SPNer
Oct 10, 2008
ENGLAND, U.K.
Sitting as we do in our own comfortable environments can we truly feel the suffering of those for whom we pray when we do our Ardas.
I say that pain is unique to those who are suffering or going through the hardship, the rest of us, yes we may feel compassion if only briefly but can we really do something greater and pray harder if not for just one person to ease their passage in life.
I have started to pray simply every day for a friend who needs a job, every day I have said "Dear God, I may not be going through his pain, but in my Ardas help him find a new job".
I will continue to pray until this comes becomes reality.
Just wanted to received other users thoughts in relation to this topic.
Rahamt

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Sitting as we do in our own comfortable environments can we truly feel the suffering of those for whom we pray when we do our Ardas.
I say that pain is unique to those who are suffering or going through the hardship, the rest of us, yes we may feel compassion if only briefly but can we really do something greater and pray harder if not for just one person to ease their passage in life.
I have started to pray simply every day for a friend who needs a job, every day I have said "Dear God, I may not be going through his pain, but in my Ardas help him find a new job".
I will continue to pray until this comes becomes reality.
Just wanted to received other users thoughts in relation to this topic.
Rahamt

Praying for others is always praise worthy, look what Guru ji says, read on

ਜਗਤੁ ਜਲੰਦਾ ਰਖਿ ਲੈ ਆਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰਿ ॥(SGGS JI 853)
Jagaṯ jalanḏā rakẖ lai āpṇī kirpā ḏẖār.
The world is going up in flames - shower it with Your Mercy, and save it!
ਮਃ 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 19, 2005
malaysia
Dear Rahmat,
I agree with you that by simple praying itself for anyone who is in need of help would
be answered by His Grace.The most important things is that we must pray whole
heartedly with heart felt love and to the best that is where GOD hears our prayer.

rahmat

SPNer
Oct 10, 2008
ENGLAND, U.K.
I sometimes question that when going through a difficult time myself, why do I or should I continue to pray for others when in fact my own prayers seem to go unheard. It is then with the fear and love of Akal Purakh Ji I remind myself oh Lord should you so choose things could be a lot worse but this bitter pill is there as a medicine and when I read the first line of the Rahas Sahib path the truth is driven home.
Though it is difficult to pray and stray strong when going through hardship yourself; after all we are only human.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I sometimes question that when going through a difficult time myself, why do I or should I continue to pray for others when in fact my own prayers seem to go unheard. It is then with the fear and love of Akal Purakh Ji I remind myself oh Lord should you so choose things could be a lot worse but this bitter pill is there as a medicine and when I read the first line of the Rahas Sahib path the truth is driven home.
Though it is difficult to pray and stray strong when going through hardship yourself; after all we are only human.

Is it because you feel compassion and do not feel separated from another person?

rahmat

SPNer
Oct 10, 2008
ENGLAND, U.K.
Yes I do feel compassion and I pray that Akal Purakh Ji continue to gift this treasure but feeling compassion and not doing anything to assist the suffering, well I might as well not do my prayers, because I have to put into practice that compassion and match that with action albeit in what ever way I can to assist the individual who is suffering.
But again the question is raised, can we ever truly feel the suffering of others or does it merely dwell in our ming and thoughts for a temporary moment until our mind then begins to focus on other things ?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ
बिलावलु महला ५ ॥
Bilāval mėhlā 5.
Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਪੂਰਨ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਕਾਰਜ ਭਏ ਰਾਸਿ
सिमरि सिमरि पूरन प्रभू कारज भए रासि ॥
Simar simar pūran parabẖū kāraj bẖa▫e rās.
Meditate, meditate in remembrance of the Perfect Lord God, and your affairs shall be perfectly resolved.

ਕਰਤਾਰ ਪੁਰਿ ਕਰਤਾ ਵਸੈ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
करतार पुरि करता वसै संतन कै पासि ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Karṯār pur karṯā vasai sanṯan kai pās. ||1|| rahā▫o.
In Kartaarpur, the City of the Creator Lord, the Saints dwell with the Creator. ||1||Pause||

ਬਿਘਨੁ ਕੋਊ ਲਾਗਤਾ ਗੁਰ ਪਹਿ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ
बिघनु न कोऊ लागता गुर पहि अरदासि ॥
Bigẖan na ko▫ū lāgṯā gur pėh arḏās.
No obstacles will block your way, when you offer your prayers to the Guru.

ਰਖਵਾਲਾ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਰਾਇ ਭਗਤਨ ਕੀ ਰਾਸਿ ॥੧॥
रखवाला गोबिंद राइ भगतन की रासि ॥१॥
Rakẖvālā gobinḏ rā▫e bẖagṯan kī rās. ||1||
The Sovereign Lord of the Universe is the Saving Grace, the Protector of the capital of His devotees. ||1||

ਤੋਟਿ ਆਵੈ ਕਦੇ ਮੂਲਿ ਪੂਰਨ ਭੰਡਾਰ
तोटि न आवै कदे मूलि पूरन भंडार ॥
Ŧot na āvai kaḏe mūl pūran bẖandār.
There is never any deficiency at all; the Lord's treasures are over-flowing.

ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਬਸੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅਗਮ ਅਪਾਰ ॥੨॥
चरन कमल मनि तनि बसे प्रभ अगम अपार ॥२॥
Cẖaran kamal man ṯan base parabẖ agam apār. ||2||
His Lotus Feet are enshrined within my mind and body; God is inaccessible and infinite. ||2||

ਬਸਤ ਕਮਾਵਤ ਸਭਿ ਸੁਖੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਊਨ ਦੀਸੈ
बसत कमावत सभि सुखी किछु ऊन न दीसै ॥
Basaṯ kamāvaṯ sabẖ sukẖī kicẖẖ ūn na ḏīsai.
All those who work for Him dwell in peace; you can see that they lack nothing.

ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਭੇਟੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਪੂਰਨ ਜਗਦੀਸੈ ॥੩॥
संत प्रसादि भेटे प्रभू पूरन जगदीसै ॥३॥
Sanṯ parsāḏ bẖete parabẖū pūran jagḏīsai. ||3||
By the Grace of the Saints, I have met God, the Perfect Lord of the Universe. ||3||

ਜੈ ਜੈ ਕਾਰੁ ਸਭੈ ਕਰਹਿ ਸਚੁ ਥਾਨੁ ਸੁਹਾਇਆ
जै जै कारु सभै करहि सचु थानु सुहाइआ ॥
Jai jai kār sabẖai karahi sacẖ thān suhā▫i▫ā.
Everyone congratulates me, and celebrates my victory; the home of the True Lord is so beautiful!

ਜਪਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਸੁਖ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੪॥੩੩॥੬੩॥
जपि नानक नामु निधान सुख पूरा गुरु पाइआ ॥४॥३३॥६३॥
Jap Nānak nām niḏẖān sukẖ pūrā gur pā▫i▫ā. ||4||33||63||
Nanak chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the treasure of peace; I have found the Perfect Guru. ||4||33||63||
................................................................................................

Rahmat Ji,

The above shabad is extracted from a compiled booklet known as Sangkat Mochan Shabad. The instruction provided is to recite this shabad 108 times per day for 40 days.

I have posted many chosen shabads in this thread -
300 Saal Guru De Naal.
http://www.sikhism.us/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/23207-300-saal-guru-de-naal-2.html

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Yes I do feel compassion and I pray that Akal Purakh Ji continue to gift this treasure but feeling compassion and not doing anything to assist the suffering, well I might as well not do my prayers, because I have to put into practice that compassion and match that with action albeit in what ever way I can to assist the individual who is suffering.
But again the question is raised, can we ever truly feel the suffering of others or does it merely dwell in our ming and thoughts for a temporary moment until our mind then begins to focus on other things ?

Dear Brother
Feeling for others is like taking a step away from” self centered will”, doing something for others without any personal gain or satisfaction, is a leap from that SELF that keeps its chains around us. If the feeling for others doesn’t exist, then only” Self’ dictates the actions whether to help or not because strings remain attached (to chosen actions). What you are pointing out, is a simple dilemma being experienced by the mind while on cross roads. You feel, you act, when you just feel without act, it is a mere mental satisfaction many times some love to have it. Lets take another example, people do charity, who want others should know what they do, or want to be recognized as “ generous” are not doing any thing for others, who do not care about all this” recognition” but solely follow “that feeling”( we are discussing) and doing some thing for others, are actual real doers.. So it depends now on what level of those feeling we harbor. Gurbani advocates to detour from feelings of recognition etc but obey His Ordinance and take those feelings as His Ordinance, nothing is there to seek for. Guru ji's prayer for all is /should be taken as an inspiration and acting in the same manner is what Guru ji asks from us. You are not far away, just more awareness is needed.:)

rahmat

SPNer
Oct 10, 2008
ENGLAND, U.K.
Dear Brother
Feeling for others is like taking a step away from” self centered will”, doing something for others without any personal gain or satisfaction, is a leap from that SELF that keeps its chains around us. If the feeling for others doesn’t exist, then only” Self’ dictates the actions whether to help or not because strings remain attached (to chosen actions). What you are pointing out, is a simple dilemma being experienced by the mind while on cross roads. You feel, you act, when you just feel without act, it is a mere mental satisfaction many times some love to have it. Lets take another example, people do charity, who want others should know what they do, or want to be recognized as “ generous” are not doing any thing for others, who do not care about all this” recognition” but solely follow “that feeling”( we are discussing) and doing some thing for others, are actual real doers.. So it depends now on what level of those feeling we harbor. Gurbani advocates to detour from feelings of recognition etc but obey His Ordinance and take those feelings as His Ordinance, nothing is there to seek for. Guru ji's prayer for all is /should be taken as an inspiration and acting in the same manner is what Guru ji asks from us. You are not far away, just more awareness is needed.:)

Dear Brothers and Sisters;
I joined this site not expecting the unexpected yet in these brief threads of conversation i feel as if my spiritual mind is awakening even further. Blessed are those who are able to englighten and turn the mind of others towards Akal Purakh and his Sahabds.
I have read all previous posts and comments and sincerely noted those author's wise words.
The question is that remains to be asked is that and remaining with this topic; "after seeing and going through suffering can a person really return to being their normal self; because i feel that one cannot, the scars of the aforementioned never fade and at the slightest pain one feels instantaneous far away from The Master "
Humbly direct me to a Shabad that I may read for inspiration and allow to draw strength from Gurbani.

Rahmat

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
rahmat ji

Here is a story about suffering and compassion. A former supervisor of mine was at her wits end because of something that happened to her daughter. Her daughter is extremely beautiful and intelligent. She was dumped by her fiance right before important examinations -- she was in her final year of medical school. Her mother, my boss, could not console her and was very concerned about the outcome of her daughter's examinations. She and her husband had protected their children from every kind of disappointment. She could not protect her daughter from this problem. Would the young woman be able to hold up? She did not know.

This is what I told her to say to her daughter. You are going to be a doctor. As a doctor you are going to be faced hours each day with pain and suffering much greater than you can now imagine. If you, yourself, have never endured any discomfort or sadness or disappointment in your own life, then what kind of doctor will you be? Your suffering teaches you to understand the suffering of others.

And that is what she told her daughter that same evening. I am told things settled down.

As a side note: The young woman passed her examinations, and today is married and completed her medical residency in child psychiatry.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
as for a shabad...

What I have told you works to an extent in the land of Karamkhand. In karamkhand, or Karam Khand, we must personally realize that every event flows from Divine Will, and His Grace flows through us. It is the first step in a long journey toward Nanak's idea of "Truthful Living." But to take ourselves and those around us higher, then the shabad tells us that we have a True Friend who relieves all suffering. So we know what we have to do.

ਸੇ ਮਥੇ ਨਿਹਚਲ ਰਹੇ ਜਿਨ ਗੁਰਿ ਧਾਰਿਆ ਹਥੁ ॥
sae mathhae nihachal rehae jin gur dhhaariaa hathh ||
Those, upon whose foreheads the Guru has placed His Hand, remain steady and stable.

ਗੁਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਪੀਆਲਿਆ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕਾ ਪਥੁ ॥
gur anmrith naam peeaaliaa janam maran kaa pathh ||
The Guru has led me to drink in the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, the Name of the Lord; He has released me from the cycle of birth and death.

ਗੁਰੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਭੈ ਭੰਜਨੁ ਦੁਖ ਲਥੁ ॥੩॥
gur paramaesar saeviaa bhai bhanjan dhukh lathh ||3||
I serve the Guru, the Transcendent Lord, the Dispeller of fear; my
suffering has been taken away. ||3||

Ang 49, in Sri Raag, by Guru Arjan Dev who showed the way.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: