• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Outrage In Punjab Over Replica Of Golden Temple

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: Outrage in Punjab over replica of Golden Temple - National News ? News ? MSN India - News

Monday, June 15, 2009

Outrage in Punjab over replica of Golden Temple

Sangrur (Punjab): The Sikh leadership in Punjab is furious over attempts by a sect to replicate the design and structure of their holiest shrine - the Golden Temple or Harmandar Sahib at Amritsar.

Reminiscent of the huge row after the Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh had sought to imitate the tenth Sikh guru, Guru Gobind Singh, by wearing look-alike robes in April 2007, the private shrine in Punjab's Sangrur district, 170 km from Chandigarh, seems to have upset everyone -- from common devotees to the apex Sikh clergy and the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC).

While an indignant SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar has ordered the management of the Gurudwara Sachkhand Angeetha Sahib at Mastuana to halt further construction on the structure, the head priest of the Akal Takht (the highest temporal seat of Sikhism), Giani Gurbachan Singh has declared it "sacrilegious".

"No one will be allowed to make a replica of Sri Darbar Sahib (Golden Temple)," the Akal Takht head said.

A probe panel sent by the SGPC to Sangrur recorded video evidence and said in its report that the sect was trying to replicate Sikhism's holiest shrine. The panel reported "a blatant attempt to copy the design of Harmandar Sahib".

The roots of the controversy go back 40 years ago.

The shrine, owned by the cash-rich Mastuana Dera headed by Sant Sadhu Singh, has been under construction since 1967. It had provoked similar controversy when its outer shape became apparent in the early 1990s and the then Akal Takht Jathedar had issued a Hukumnama (religious edict) barring its completion till key structural changes were made.

The Mastuana sect comprises of Sikh followers, mostly from the lower-strata of society. Its main influence is limited to a part of south-west Punjab's agricultural belt of Malwa.

Recent attempts to restart work on the incomplete shrine have provoked angry objections.

SGPC chief Makkar has summoned a meeting (Sarbat Khalsa) of important Sikh leaders and religious organisations at Amritsar on June 20 to decide on the fate of the Mastuana Gurudwara.

He said any attempt to replicate the sacred Harmandar Sahib built by the fifth Guru, Guru Arjan dev himself, "would not be tolerated".

The Mastuana shrine management has submitted a written apology to the Akal Takht but its fate will be known Saturday.

"The issue, including specific directions on necessary structural alterations will only be issued after the June 20 meeting," a SGPC spokesman said.

The issue is expected to raise further acrimony amidst demands that the controversial Golden Temple replica be pulled down completely. SGPC chief Makkar has said he wants to "settle the matter once and for all".

IANS

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Matter has been simmering for past 20 years...and now being brought to a BOIL...another _low caste-high caste jatt vs others battle plan is being planned....a wise enemy never lets up..and we have got one hell of a clever enemy...64 million dollar question..WHY ALLOW CANCER TO REACH TERMINAL STAGE ??
Answer: to KILL the PATIENT..but escape the blame...Sapp ve maar jayeh..sottee vee bach jaiyeh...is an old Punajbi Proverb....Kill the snake but save the Stick !!! CHAKRVIEW...Readers must read the Bhagvad Gita to find out how a chakrview operates...(surround and tire the enmey by numerous attacks/skirmishes....keep at it..until he falls vanquished...):crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy: BUT TRUE..

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If you view thru Google Earth (satellite viewing) another structure similar to Sri Harmandir Sahib can be seen not far from it. The difference being, the island is bigger and the sarovar is the same size as Sri Harmandir Sahib.

Our Gurus were far sighted when Mian Mir was asked to lay the foundation.
Because they knew what the Hindus were all about.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Guru Arjan often visited Lahore to interact with the Lahore sangat. On the occasion of one such visit he called on Sain Mian Mir. The two men of God met and became lifelong friends. Mian Mir was thirteen years older than Guru Arjan. Guru Arjan was responsible for the construction of many tanks and buildings. In 1589 he planned to build a Gurdwara in the center of the holy tank called Amritsar or the tank of nectar. As the temple was to be thrown open to people of all castes, creeds and climes, he invited Mian Mir to lay the foundation stone of the Harmandar.

Mian Mir was given a warm welcome. The two holy men embraced each other in sincere love and regard. The purpose of the temple was disclosed to the Sufi saint. The Guru pointed out that the Hindu temples and Muslim mosques were built on a raised plinth. The Sikh Gurdwara would be erected on a lower plinth than the surrounding area. The idea was that God could be attained by bending low in submission and humility. The Hindu temples and Muslim mosques were closed on three sides and had only one doorway facing east and west respectively. His temple would be open on all the four sides implying that it would welcome persons of all the four castes, Brahmans, Kshatriyas, Vaishas and Shudras; to all the four religions in the world, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and Christianity, and to all the people from any country or climate from north, south, east and west.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
If you view thru Google Earth (satellite viewing) another structure similar to Sri Harmandir Sahib can be seen not far from it. The difference being, the island is bigger and the sarovar is the same size as Sri Harmandir Sahib.

Our Gurus were far sighted when Mian Mir was asked to lay the foundation.
Because they knew what the Hindus were all about.

The DM may be BIGGER..etc..etc..BUT otheh makhian bhinnkdeean neh...meaning its void of the hustle and bustle of the Harmandar Sahib....in FACT the ONLY person to RESIST arm twsiting tactics to "visit" the DM was Queen Elixzabeth II. She stuck to her guns and said..I came to visit Harmandar sahib..and period. Each visiting foreign dignitary is.."persuaded" to visit DM after paying visit to harmandar sahib to "equalize" the two...
BUT its not said for nothing..ORIGINAL.....VS...PIRATED COPY !! how to compare the two ?? One GURU made..the other human made... GOLD vs PITTAL..brass !!!

May 25, 2009
GOLD is expensive right now!!!!they will never pull this off. Maybe they should try a SILVER TEMPLE or something? Even I think a replica is in bad taste to say the least. Dont let me down extremists, GO GET EM! ahahahahahahah

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
GOLD is expensive right now!!!!they will never pull this off. Maybe they should try a SILVER TEMPLE or something? Even I think a replica is in bad taste to say the least. Dont let me down extremists, GO GET EM! ahahahahahahah

NOt quite...the SANTS have TONS of GOLD...all donated by the starving minions...who eat dust..and feed their babies with watered milk called kachee lassi... .but donate pails of milk for these gogarrs - just look at the golden domes and golden palkis everywhere..do you think the saadhs sweated for that ??

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: Mastuana temple to effect structural changes: Akal Takht - Chandigarh - Cities - The Times of India

Mastuana temple to effect structural changes: Akal Takht

21 Jun 2009, 0511 hrs IST, Yudhvir Rana, TNN
- THE TIMES OF INDIA

AMRITSAR: Coming down heavily on the management of Mastuana gurdwara for reportedly planning a replica of the venerated Golden Temple, Sikh religious bodies and intellectuals who gathered under the aegis of Akal Takht on Saturday called for demolition of domes, doing away with a pond and changing the structure's name of Sri Guru Singh Sabha.

Unleashing the broadside at a meeting convened by him at Teja Singh Samundari Hall, Akal Takht jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh, while talking to the media later, said, "My statement is to be treated as hukamnama. The congregation of Sikh religious bodies has decided that the gurdwara'a sarovar be filled with earth, Har Ki Pauri and four domes be demolished and its name changed."

Appearing unforgiving towards Baba Baldev Singh Suharaewala for hurting religious sentiments of Sikhs with a Golden Temple look-alike, formerly known as Gurdwara Sach Khand, Angitha Sahib, the jathedar added, "He will be summoned to Akal Takht for submitting a clarification."

The changes will reportedly be effected under the supervision of Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee engineers to rule out any likening whatsoever to Harmandar Sahib.

The meeting which lasted for nearly two-and-a-half hours was attended by representatives of 55 different Sikh religious bodies, including Nighang organizations, SGPC president and office bearers and former central minister Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa. In fact, some radical Sikh groups like Dal Khalsa even demanded the pulling down of the complete gurdwara.

Incidentally, jathedar of Takht Damdama Sahib Giani Balwant Singh Nandgarh left the meeting in between, expressing his resentment over the presence of jathedar of Takht Patna Dahib Giani Iqbal Singh.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Incidentally, jathedar of Takht Damdama Sahib Giani Balwant Singh Nandgarh left the meeting in between, expressing his resentment over the presence of jathedar of Takht Patna Dahib Giani Iqbal Singh.

Is this the Giani Iqbal Singh who is a known bigamist for living with two wives?

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Lee ji

My possibly incorrect hypothesis here. There is a cultural dimension to the question that you and I may not pick up at first. In the west a replica of a church or other important shrine (such as Independence Hall in the US) is sought after and celebrated as the builders of the new edifice are trying to spread the history and enthusiasm for the older building to new places and people. But in this situation the replica is built to acquire the authority of the older building and create the impression that the adherents of the new building share the beliefs and traditions of the older building in this case Harimandir Sahib. The proponents of the older building look on this as an insult because of standing religious differences and political divisions. As if sand is being kicked in their faces. They see it almost as a mockery of them and a kind of theft of an important location of holiness. Harimandir is more than a symbol. it is a place of spiritual power. We don't think of our shrines and churches as places of spiritual power in the West by and large. If I am incorrect in my understanding someone will correct me.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee ji

My possibly incorrect hypothesis here. There is a cultural dimension to the question that you and I may not pick up at first. In the west a replica of a church or other important shrine (such as Independence Hall in the US) is sought after and celebrated as the builders of the new edifice are trying to spread the history and enthusiasm for the older building to new places and people. But in this situation the replica is built to acquire the authority of the older building and create the impression that the adherents of the new building share the beliefs and traditions of the older building in this case Harimandir Sahib. The proponents of the older building look on this as an insult because of standing religious differences and political divisions. As if sand is being kicked in their faces. They see it almost as a mockery of them and a kind of theft of an important location of holiness. Harimandir is more than a symbol. it is a place of spiritual power. We don't think of our shrines and churches as places of spiritual power in the West by and large. If I am incorrect in my understanding someone will correct me.

Dear Aad ji,

Yes I do get what you are saying, and it is within this context that my puzzlement arises.

One of my faverite tales of Guru Nanak ji, is where he goes to Mecca and is berated for falling asleep with his feet pointing towards the mosuqe. His reply about pointing his feet in the direction where God is no, I think is very valid here.

A Gudwara is not where God lives, it is a building in which sangat gather to hear Gurbani, and thus Guru.

I would ask by what condition makes any building more holyer than, ohhh lets just say a tree?

Even if it is as you say, an attempt by one community to somehow hijack the belifes of another community, then it strkes me that the more spirtualy aware community should look upon this with pride rarther than loathing. They are trying to emulate us and that is bad because.........?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee ji,

This is where my thinking comes to a standstill and someone else will need to take it further.

Aad Ji,

The simplest answer seems to be because even our SPCG is filled with humans all to prone to human ego it's whilly ways. I honestly cannot see any valid reason from a Sikhi POV for this.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
IF we SIKHS have allowed "millions" of COPIES of SGGS.....
WHY NOT Harmandir....
IN Fact imho..each and every GURDWARA in the world Should be an exact REPLICA of Harmandir In Amrtisar..just as each and every SGGS Paraksh in each and every GURDWARA is an EXACT REPLICA of the ORIGINAL SGGS.:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: