• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Night Clubs - Vaisakhi Nights

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Caramel

Nice to hear from you after long pause !

There is no need to be Shocked as Vaisakhi is also Cultural festival of Punabi people

So there are many punjabis in World Who hardly know or care about sikhi and as such sikhism is not eclusively for Punjabi
So Punjabis people can celebrate their vaisakhi in clubs and Sikh can celebrate in Gurdwaras
So it is just coincidence that both the things the Formation of khalsa and Punjabi Harvest festival Vaisakhi fall on same day

Jatinder Singh

Jul 13, 2004
UK
Took time out of my busy schedule to vent my anger :}--}: :}{}{}: Anyway I am sure they do it on a 'religious' basis since there are also Eid and Diwali nights! Still, it is shocking... makes you wonder what the world is coming to eh?

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
CaramelChocolate said:
Took time out of my busy schedule to vent my anger :}--}: :}{}{}: Anyway I am sure they do it on a 'religious' basis since there are also Eid and Diwali nights! Still, it is shocking... makes you wonder what the world is coming to eh?

Welcome back Caramel :wah:

They can go to clubs all they want... drink as much as they want and have as much pleasure they want...

We as sikhs whether khalsa or not must be mature and seperate ourselves from culture and meditate/pray to waheguru on this wonderful day!

Jul 13, 2004
UK
This is all part of kaal yug I guess. If people want to symbolically urinate, rip and spit on SGGS then fine. I don't understand why Sikhs or members of any other religions are standing by and letting this happen. It is a direct insult to any religion and people do not care that they are insulting dharma. Infact, they LOVE IT.
It is one thing to be doing these sins, but a completely different thing to be doing them as a religious celebration.
Soon we'll have people celebrating the taking of amrit with a stylish new hair-cut. ::cool::

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
It's no different to an old-fashioned Punjabi {censored}-up on Vaisakhi evening.

Both are 'wrong', but hey, that's what's happening.

I'm not all that bothered. It's not like Sikkh philosophy changes just because of what people do.

Jul 13, 2004
UK
They also have Eid and Diwali nights. If Vaisakhi wasn't made into a religious thing by Sikhism, they would NOT be celebrating it in night clubs. They do not think 'lets celebrate vaisakhi harvest festival in a night club' they do it so because they know of it as a SIKH festival.

Sinster- I see many thing wrongs with celebrating your religious festival by doing things that go against what that religion stands for.

anders

SPNer
Jul 13, 2004
Sweden
Dear CC,

You often bring up interesting points. If you'll excuse me, I think that you're slightly over-reacting this time. Some times of the year like Vaisakhi/Baisakhi/Vesak/Visakha/Buddha Purnima etc. etc. are celebrated in many cultures and parts of the worls, and in many different ways. Not knowing the details of what made you react, I think that I was more puzzled the first time I heard of a Good Friday ball in Lutheran Sweden.
If faiths and/or their revered persons or deities are not explicitely ridiculed or demeaned, I see nothing wrong in celebrating Spring in any way the celebrators might seem fit. The fact that some persons might see other connections and/or reasons for celebrating the start of the cultivation period shouldn't prohibit the rest of the world from making their own decisions. For example, I don't recall ever having heard of a Christian in Sweden protesting against the ubiquitous Midsummer dances around the maypole, which undoubtedly is a very "heathen" practice.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM