• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Next Step In Becoming A Sikh

newsikhi

SPNer
Aug 28, 2009
Hello

I have been researching Sikhism for a while now and I feel that I should prepare myself for becoming a Sikh.
I am a non-Punjabi living in Burnaby and I was wondering which of the following gurdwaras should I should start
attending in order to start on my path Towards Sikhism.

Canadian Ramgharia Society

Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar

Khalsa Diwan Society

Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple

Gurdwara Khalsa Darbar

Akali Singh Sikh Society

Sikh Temple Sukhsagar

Signed Norman Crowther

Jaskirat1

SPNer
Sep 4, 2009
Sat Shree Akal,:yes:

Congratulations on deciding to become a Sikh. I live in Vancouver.

Well, I do not really know on how to guide you. Going to the Gurudwara's is a good idea but since you are non-punjabi it might be hard for you in terms of correspondence. And Sikhism requires a lot of deep understanding of what our Guru's are trying to say. In short, you should be able to read what's written in between the lines. For that, a good teacher may be required at first to teach you the essence of Sikhism. Cuz a Sikh means a student and we have to keep learning till we die. But, be carefull do not get dissappointed if you are not entertained by people in Gurudwara's. Personally, I think they will entertain you but one cannot say...right.

Keep your spirit high and keep researching about the religion. One thing I can tell you for sure, I myself cannot read and write punjabi and gurmukhi. But, I' am a practicising sikh. Your intentions have to be clean, stay away and control lust, pride, ego, attachement and anger. Recite the 5 prayers and meditate as much as you can. Cherish the uncut hair as a gift and adorn the 5 gifts from Guru Gobind Singh. If you do all this, then trust me you will be among the most beloved of the sikhs for the Guru's and Akal Purkh ( primal Being ) himself. But remember, love the guru and akal purkh like you never loved anyone before and they themselves will assist you in your journey in Sikhism.

God speed and God bless, may our Guru's bless you with Naam and Sikhi...:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I hope that both posters will read the many threads in the New to Sikhism section that leaders and members here at SPN have compiled recently to help out. Sat Nam.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM