• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Need Of True Guru

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Ambardhara ji,

Your response is typical of a child

*************************************************************************************************************************
Kind Regards
Ekmusafir_ajnabi​

Thankyou Ek ji,

Absolutely perfect. My mother told me that I have to become like a baby in front of Guru Ji, I have to follow Guru Ji around like I used to do to my mum when I was a baby.

Thanks for reminding me my mum's words.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Neither am I that smart either Jjasleen ji. But look at it this way. You are closer to where you want to be than you think. A whole lot of theorizing isn't going to get us there -- and for me the answer is trying to keep a simple mind. I read the articles and then decide if the author is doing her work/ his work. But I have to do mine. And this is as Guruji points out -- work that is done alone. By posting Gurbani, I celebrate God and share my celebration with others. That's about it.

No need for me to comment on meat. So I deleted what I said.

All the best.

Pyramid

SPNer
Jan 23, 2008
My mother told me that I have to become like a baby in front of Guru Ji, I have to follow Guru Ji around like I used to do to my mum when I was a baby.

Thanks for reminding me my mum's words.

You are the lucky one. Very few of us have mothers like yours.

Tuhada Das
Yograj

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Without the true Guru how a person behaves, Guru Ji is telling us in the following Pauree.

English Translation(source:SikhiToTheMax):
Pauree:
He sees the terrible, awful wilderness as a city.
Gazing upon the false objects, he believes them to be real.
Engrossed in sexual desire, anger and egotism, he wanders around insane.
When the Messenger of Death hits him on the head with his club, then he regrets and repents.
Without the Perfect, Divine Guru, he roams around like Satan. ||9||
source: SikhiToTheMax

Punjabi Translation(source:GuruGranthDarpan):

ਬੜੇ ਡਰਾਉਣੇ ਜੰਗਲ ਨੂੰ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਨੇ ਸ਼ਹਿਰ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਮੰਨ ਲਿਆ ਹੈ, ਇਹਨਾਂ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਪਦਾਰਥਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਵੇਖ ਕੇ ਸਦਾ ਟਿਕੇ ਰਹਿਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਸਮਝ ਲਿਆ ਹੈ। (ਇਸ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਾਤਰ) ਕਾਮ ਵਿਚ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਵਿਚ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਵਿਚ ਝੱਲੇ ਹੋਏ ਫਿਰਦੇ ਹਨ, ਜਦੋਂ ਮੌਤ ਦਾ ਡੰਡਾ ਸਿਰ ਤੇ ਆ ਵੱਜਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤਦੋਂ ਪਛੁਤਾਉਂਦੇ ਹਨ। (ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮਨੁੱਖ) ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਸ਼ੈਤਾਨ ਵਾਂਗ ਫਿਰਦਾ ਹੈ।੯।
source: PAGE 707 - Punjabi Translation of Siri Guru Granth Sahib (Sri Guru Granth Darpan).

Guru Shabad:
pauVI ]
mhw BieAwn auidAwn ngr kir mwinAw ]
JUT smgRI pyiK scu kir jwinAw ]
kwm k®oiD AhMkwir iPrih dyvwinAw ]
isir lgw jm fMfu qw pCuqwinAw ]
ibnu pUry gurdyv iPrY sYqwinAw ]9]

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Guru Ji tells us:

English Translation(source:SikhiToTheMax)
Gauree, Fifth Mehl:
What form of Yours should I worship and adore?
What Yoga should I practice to control my body? ||1||
What is that virtue, by which I may sing of You?
What is that speech, by which I may please the Supreme Lord God? ||1||Pause||
What worship service shall I perform for You?
How can I cross over the terrifying world-ocean? ||2||
What is that penance, by which I may become a penitent?
What is that Name, by which the filth of egotism may be washed away? ||3||
Virtue, worship, spiritual wisdom, meditation and all service, O Nanak,
are obtained from the True Guru, when, in His Mercy and Kindness, He meets us. ||4||
They alone receive this merit, and they alone know God,
who are approved by the Giver of peace. ||1||Second Pause||36||105||

Punjabi Translation(source:GuruGranthDarpan):
hy pwrbRhm pRBU! (qyry byAMq gux hn, mYƒ smJ nhIN AwauNdI ik) mYN qyrw kyhVw gux lY ky qyrI is&iq-swlwh krW, qy kyhVy bol bol ky mYN qYƒ pRsMn krW [1[rhwau[
(hy pRBU! jgq dy swry jIv qyrw hI rUp hn qy qyrw koeI BI ^ws rUp nhIN [ mYN nhIN jwxdw ik) qyrw auh kyhVw rUp hY ijs dw mYN iDAwn DrW [ (hy pRBU! mYƒ smJ nhIN ik) jog dw auh kyhVw swDn hY ijs nwl mYN Awpxy srIr ƒ v`s ivc ilAwvW (qy qYƒ pRsMn krW [ jog-swDnW nwl qYƒ pRsMn nhIN kIqw jw skdw) [1[
hy pwrbRhm! mYN qyrI kyhVI pUjw krW (ijs nwl qUM pRsMn ho skyN)? hy pRBU! auh kyhVw qrIkw hY ijs dI rwhIN mYN sMswr-smuMdr qoN pwr lµG jwvW? [2[
auh kyhVw qp-swDn hY ijs nwl mnu`K (kwmXwb) qpsÍI AKvw skdw hY (qy mYƒ ^uS kr skdw hY)? auh kyhVw nwm hY (ijs dw jwp kr ky) (mnu`K Awpxy AMdroN) haumY dI mYl dUr kr skdw hY? [3[
hy nwnk! (mnu`K inry Awpxy au~dm dy Awsry pRBU ƒ pRsMn nhIN kr skdw [ ausy mnu`K dy gwey hoey) gux (kIqI hoeI) pUjw, igAwn qy (joVI hoeI) suriq Awidk dI swrI imhnq (sPl huMdI hY) ijs auqy idAwl ho ky ikrpw kr ky gurU imldw hY [4[
ausy dI hI kIqI hoeI is&iq-swlwh (prvwn hY) ausy ny hI pRBU nwl jwx-pCwx pweI hY (ijs ƒ gurU imilAw hY qy) ijs dI Ardws swry suK dyx vwlw prmwqmw mMn lYNdw hY [1[rhwau dUjw[36[105[
source: PAGE 187 - Punjabi Translation of Siri Guru Granth Sahib (Sri Guru Granth Darpan).

Guru Shabad:
gauVI mÚ 5 ]
kvn rUpu qyrw AwrwDau ]
kvn jog kwieAw ly swDau ]1]
kvn gunu jo quJu lY gwvau ]
kvn bol pwrbRhm rIJwvau ]1] rhwau ]
kvn su pUjw qyrI krau ]
kvn su ibiD ijqu Bvjl qrau ]2]
kvn qpu ijqu qpIAw hoie ]
kvnu su nwmu haumY mlu Koie ]3]
gux pUjw igAwn iDAwn nwnk sgl Gwl ]
ijsu kir ikrpw siqguru imlY dieAwl ]4]
iqs hI gunu iqn hI pRBu jwqw ]
ijs kI mwin lyie suKdwqw ]1] rhwau dUjw ]36]105]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
There is only One Holy Saint. What should we do? Admit that we are filled with anger and desire. Understand that when we meet with Him, it was destined. Bow before Him and become meek. How do we bow before a formless being? We absorb our minds with His Name and we ask Him to save us.

ਕਾਮਿ ਕਰੋਧਿ ਨਗਰੁ ਬਹੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਖੰਡਲ ਖੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥
kaam karodhh nagar bahu bhariaa mil saadhhoo khanddal khanddaa hae ||
The body-village is filled to overflowing with anger and sexual desire; these were broken into bits when I met with the Holy Saint.

ਪੂਰਬਿ ਲਿਖਤ ਲਿਖੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਮੰਡਲ ਮੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੧॥
poorab likhath likhae gur paaeiaa man har liv manddal manddaa hae ||1||
By pre-ordained destiny, I have met with the Guru. I have entered into the realm of the Lord's Love. ||1||

ਕਰਿ ਸਾਧੂ ਅੰਜੁਲੀ ਪੁਨੁ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ ॥
kar saadhhoo anjulee pun vaddaa hae ||
Greet the Holy Saint with your palms pressed together; this is an act of great merit.

ਕਰਿ ਡੰਡਉਤ ਪੁਨੁ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
kar ddanddouth pun vaddaa hae ||1|| rehaao ||
Bow down before Him; this is a virtuous action indeed. ||1||Pause||

ਸਾਕਤ ਹਰਿ ਰਸ ਸਾਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਕੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥
saakath har ras saadh n jaaniaa thin anthar houmai kanddaa hae ||
The wicked shaaktas, the faithless cynics, do not know the Taste of the Lord's Sublime Essence. The thorn of egotism is embedded deep within them.

ਜਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਚਲਹਿ ਚੁਭੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ਸਹਹਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਡੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੨॥
jio jio chalehi chubhai dhukh paavehi jamakaal sehehi sir ddanddaa hae ||2||
The more they walk away, the deeper it pierces them, and the more they suffer in pain, until finally, the Messenger of Death smashes his club against their heads. ||2||

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਣੇ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਭਵ ਖੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥
har jan har har naam samaanae dhukh janam maran bhav khanddaa hae ||
The humble servants of the Lord are absorbed in the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. The pain of birth and the fear of death are eradicated.

ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਬਹੁ ਸੋਭ ਖੰਡ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੩॥
abinaasee purakh paaeiaa paramaesar bahu sobh khandd brehamanddaa hae ||3||
They have found the Imperishable Supreme Being, the Transcendent Lord God, and they receive great honor throughout all the worlds and realms. ||3||

ਹਮ ਗਰੀਬ ਮਸਕੀਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੇਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਖੁ ਰਾਖੁ ਵਡ ਵਡਾ ਹੇ ॥
ham gareeb masakeen prabh thaerae har raakh raakh vadd vaddaa hae ||
I am poor and meek, God, but I belong to You! Save me-please save me, O

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਧਾਰੁ ਟੇਕ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੇ ਹੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਮੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥੪॥੪॥
jan naanak naam adhhaar ttaek hai har naamae hee sukh manddaa hae ||4||4||
Servant Nanak takes the Sustenance and Support of the Naam. In the Name of the Lord, he enjoys celestial peace. ||4||4||

Guru Ram Das
Ang 13

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Guru Ji explains this again and again that one can't be released from this cycle of birth and death without the Guru. Everything happens with the Blessings of Guru, God, Waheguru, Our Lord.

English Translation(source:SikhiToTheMax):
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl, Seventh House:
Relying on Your Mercy, Dear Lord, I have indulged in sensual pleasures.
Like a foolish child, I have made mistakes. O Lord, You are my Father and Mother. ||1||
It is easy to speak and talk,
but it is difficult to accept Your Will. ||1||Pause||
I stand tall; You are my Strength. I know that You are mine.
Inside of all, and outside of all, You are our Self-sufficient Father. ||2||
O Father, I do not know-how can I know Your Way?
He frees us from bondage, O Saints, and saves us from possessiveness. ||3||
Becoming Merciful, my Lord and Master has ended my comings and goings in reincarnation.
Meeting with the Guru, Nanak has recognized the Supreme Lord God. ||4||27||97||

Punjabi Translation(source: GuruGranthDarpan):
ArQ:- hy pRBU! qyrw Bwxw mMnxw (qyrI mrzI ivc qurnw) AOKw hY, (pr ieh) AwKxw AKvwxw sOKw hY (ik AsIN qyrw Bwxw mMndy hW) [1[rhwau[
hy ipAwry (pRBU-ipqw)! qyry ipAwr dy Brosy qy mYN lwfW ivc hI idn guzwr id`qy hn [ (mYƒ XkIn hY ik) qUM swfw mW ipau hYN, qy b`cy Bu`lW qy aukweIAW kirAw hI krdy hn [1[
hy myry by-muQwj ipqw (-pRBU)! mYN qyrw (hI) mwx krdw hW (mYƒ ieh &^r hY ik qUM myry isr qy hYN), mYN qyrw (hI) Awsrw r`Kdw hW [ mYN jwxdw hW ik qUM myrw Awpxw hYN [ qUM sB jIvW dy AMdr v`sdw hYN, qy sBnW qoN bwhr BI hYN (inrlyp BI hYN) [
hy ipqw-pRBU! mYƒ pqw nhIN ik qYƒ pRsMn krn dw kyhVw qrIkw hY [ hy sMq jno! ipqw-pRBU mYƒ mwieAw dy bMDnW qoN Awzwd krn vwlw hY [ auh mYƒ Awpxw jwxdw hY [3[
hy nwnk! pwlxhwr pRBU jI ijs mnu`K auqy dieAwvwn huMdy hn, aus dw jnm mrn dw gyV mu`k jWdw hY [ gurU ƒ iml ky hI auh mnu`K aus byAMq prmwqmw nwl fUMGI sWJ pw lYNdw hY [4[27[97[
source: http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/0051.html

Guru Shabad:
isrIrwgu mhlw 5 Gru 7 ]
qyrY BrosY ipAwry mY lwf lfwieAw ]
BUlih cUkih bwirk qUM hir ipqw mwieAw ]1]
suhylw khnu khwvnu ]
qyrw ibKmu Bwvnu ]1] rhwau ]
hau mwxu qwxu krau qyrw hau jwnau Awpw ]
sB hI miD sBih qy bwhir bymuhqwj bwpw ]2]
ipqw hau jwnau nwhI qyrI kvn jugqw ]
bMDn mukqu sMqhu myrI rwKY mmqw ]3]
Bey ikrpwl Twkur rihE Awvx jwxw ]
gur imil nwnk pwrbRhmu pCwxw ]4]27]97]

Jan 18, 2011
@sardara123

You have laid a lot of stress on READING gurbani, can you please tell me what is gurbani???
The title of your thread is "Need of a true guru". This verse clearly tells me that YES THERE IS A NEED OF A TRUE GURU. But you have forgotten to mention who is a true guru??? How do i know that someone has attuned with shabad??? What is shabad???

I'd love to understand what you have read so far and where have you reached.:interestedmunda:
Reply As soon as possible.
regards

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NIrmaljot Baidwan ji

Two thoughts. Sardara123 has not posted in several years now, and most likely will not know about your question.

Knowing Sardaraiji a little better than most because I have interacted on the forum, my suspicion is that you would not disagree at all if you had more context for the post you are questioning. Sardaraji had a Tat Gurmat point of view.

I am virtually certain that for Sardara "true guru" applies to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. And 'gurbani" is the banee, word, shabad of the Satguru, as understood through Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Sardara's style was always to be brief. The stress on reading primarily because that is an important way that we open ourselves to the Ik Oankar Sat Nam. Kirtan would be another way.

Pardon me for answering on behalf of Sardaraji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM