• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Need For Reforms In Education In India

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Need for Reforms in Eduction in India

- Randeep Kaur

Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to the other. Next in importance to freedom and justice is education without which neither freedom nor justice can be maintained for long. It is through education that members of society particularly the youth , come to understand the working of society. The purpose of education is not just to help students acquire a degree but it should also develop a spirit of inquiry and rational thinking.

There is a plan to abolish or to make class 10 examination optional and replace it with grades, and those terminating their schooling at this level or planning to migrate to another institution have the option to take the examination if they so desire.

Making the class 10 board exam optional would not help the cause of students, rather it will create further imbalance in rural and urban students. In rural areas infrastructure is poor and quality of instruction is low, so the need of the hour is to improve the quality of rural education. Further, class 10 examination puts pressure on teachers also; by abolishing the exam this pressure will not keep on the teachers.

Examination causes stress but it is also true that without stress progress in life may not be possible. Life is full of hardships, and children must learn to cope with it in the initial stages of their life, and exams are the best way for students to learn discipline and how to overcome stress.

Reforms in our educational system were much awaited and educational reforms must always be welcomed. Syllabi taught to students is mostly theoretical and irrelevant to the socio-cultural and economic contexts. Teaching methods and system of examination continued to be obsolete. The result is that our educational institutions instead of being citadel of learning, became dens of unrest and frustration by making students directionless, tense and irresponsible; thus limiting their contributing in the progress of the nation.

Abolishing class 10 examination is not a solution, rather it should be replaced with the semester system, in which students are continuously assessed and their progress evaluated. A student gets several opportunities to review his or her performance and enhance his/her productivity. Exemption from exams will not help in shifting the focus from cramming and will not replace it with more knowledge, creativity and real learning .

The basic yardstick for job is class 10th degree and to do away with it will lead to class 12 exam as the basic qualification, which will put further burden of two years on the students particularly those who are poor and seek employment after class 10. Their will be a complete chaos if class 10 exams are dismantled.

Abolition is examination is no solution rather the emphasis should be on the quality of education. Not only should students be assessed but also the achievement of the teachers and the management taken into account. The school itself has to be evaluated like colleges are evaluated by NAAC. The qualification and training of teachers is a matter of concern. The duty of a teacher should be teaching, disseminating knowledge and encouraging creativity among students and spending time making mid day meals in school.

Their is a lot of difference between students of state _ run school and those from English medium schools. In state run schools, on an average, a student of forth-fifth class cannot even write their names, and these students are not able to go for higher education. Government run schools are far behind in competency with private-public schools.

The thrust of any educational reform should be in providing more infrastructure and better technology in schools. There are many government run schools that have very few teachers or no teacher at all. Quality of education, motivation of teachers, enhancing teacher-pupil interaction, a stress free environment for students, a ban on the commercialization of education and issues like gender equality are much wider to be given emphasis. The new plan of abolishing class 10 exams may push rural students to absolute failure. And the plan to put the entire school education system of the country under one board can be fulfilled only when their is no disparity in infrastructure and level of education between public and private schools.

Education does not mean teaching people what they do not know. It means teaching them to behave as they do not behave. It is the chief defense of the nation and the progress of every nation depends on the education of its youth. Before any decision is taken their is a need for wider public debate, discussions, workshops, and seminars to discuss this complex issue so that greater clarity may result.

Attachments

• illiteracy_in_india_images.jpg
    illiteracy_in_india_images.jpg
    12.2 KB · Reads: 758

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
Education is India sucks right from Year 1 to Year 12. I realised my true potential in Education when I came to Australia. In India there is too much influence on memorizing not understanding.

There is no influence on practical knowledge, everything is theory. In addition, eventhough I went to a CBSCE school where my parents wasted alot of money on fees, we still had books on many subjects from Haryana board with pictures of monuments in BLACK AND WHITE in 2000. That was frickin unbelievable. In addition, teacher are more concerned about the looks of your text book than the content inside.

Personally, I had a hard time at school because I had a bad handwriting. Bad handwriting in India is equivalent to the devil. While other kids received 'well done', 'average' or even 'poor', I got 'very poor. bad handwriting' or 'lekh sudharo' in hindi, the marks weren't even given. The first report about the atmosperic pollution I gave in Australia in year 8, I got 'Well done Manish, your really showed your potential'. I still have that report and when I took it home I must have read that comment at least 50 times and cried over it. Thats one of the reasons I loved the movie 'Taare Zameen Par' :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aus Desi ji

Your story hit me hard where it hurts. Once a public school teacher, you can imagine how your comments worked on me. I am really glad that you found yourself early at age 8 and that you were not lost in a "system" until it was too late and your prospects forever dimmed. But most of all I am glad you got that good grade on the report -- That made me feel quite good. In the end a beautiful story.

AusDesi

SPNer
Jul 18, 2009
Dharmashtere Australiashtre
Thanks for that. anyways, I didn't say 'age 8'. I said 'Year 8' which is the Australian equivalent of 'The 8th Grade'.

The difference between the education systems in Australia and India was immense. In India I went to a good Private School with majority of the kids being middle class so a good surrounding. On the opposite end, In Australia from 7th Grade to 10th Grade I went to a below average government school where majority of the kids were from a low socio-economic background. Despite that and being 'fresh off the boat' I still acheived atleast 50% more.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
If you loved "Taare Zamin Par" then you would absolutely propose to :D "Three Idiots", the movie... one of the bestest i ever saw... :wah:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
My brother recently went through placement process in IT industry and we need more reform in Industries in their selection process than Education reform.OUR Education system make's us parrots because industry just give value to parrots rather than one who have technichal knowledge

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM