• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Nanak Is The Guru, Nanak Is The Lord Himself

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Re: Nanak is the Guru, Nanak is the Lord Himself.

I started this thread and I am fully convinced that Sardara123 and all those who have stated that 'Gurus are God' are perfectly alright.

I am very grateful to all those who contributed to this thread. I have no interest to carry on further. I have got my answer.

The Moderators may like to take the necessary action to close this or let it be carried forward.It is not my decision.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Speaking as mod, Sikh80 ji

This is a popular thread, very popular. It will most likely be popular for some time to come. Why close it? You have found what you are looking for.That is a great thing! Still others are looking. Perhaps they will find it.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

ecblank.gif
Bhai Harbans Singh Ji (Jagadhari Wale) - Gun Gava Nit Nit Sadh Har Ke
Pakistani Artist Kamal - Guru Nanak Tere Gun Gava
ecblank.gif
Bhai Telvinder Singh - Mere Gobinda Gun Gava Tripata Man Hove

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Nam Jap,

It is always the kirtaan that goes right to the center of the heart like an arrow. It is what got me hooked in the first place. It is what keeps me stuck in this place.

He is the fisherman; I am the fish -- there are such tuks in Gurbani that explain this helplessness.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Aad Ji,

Thank you for everything I went thru - you were beside me and Aman Ji too. Kirtan is truly beautiful and appreciated most when we're feeling especially down or depressed. Kaur-1 Ji is a good person but I don't know why we reacted adversely to each other. Could it be that because we are very similar in nature ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Nam Jap,

I am glad you are feeling stronger -- WHEW!!! How many billion people are there in the world? This one and that one are not always going to hit it off.

And actually, if all x billion of us were completely in agreement all the time it would be very weird -- like zombie-land. Also the downside of Internet communication is that one cannot tell what the true intention and emotion is behind the words, so misunderstandings are inevitable.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

This book is available on SPN BOOKS STORE.
Check it out.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Sikh80 Ji
First of all thanks for sharing interpretation by Gyani ji.
About Gyani ji I have no knowledge but interpreting Gurbani with fabricated stories is not healthy because it has a message which cannot be altered at all, if one does, contradictions appear, the totality of Guru message should be kept in mind while interpreting. Gurbani was revealed to Guru ji, how it came to them, and how it came on paper, we don’t know, it was highly unlikable that when ever any thing happened around Guru ji, he started expressing it through Gurbani. One example is” Mohan tere ooche…..Mehla 5” It is not addressed to that Mohan, a relative of Guru ji but the Creator. There is no possibility that so high level of praise can be addressed to mortals. If there are names of any one, it is nothing more than a reference, actual praise or credit is to Him. Every word used as medium of Guru Message( especially by Mehl 1) has some thing to say more. Let’s look at one Guru Vaak
“ gave ko daat janai nisaan gave ko gun vaddiaee chaar” English translation takes both words “daat” and “ nisaan” as “gift” but it is more than that. Daat is gift or blessing but Nisaan is more than daat/gift. Guru ji says some sing praises of Him as per His gift and keep it as His “token of love” ( jaanai nisaan). Token of love keeps melting our emotions and love for Him keeps glowing. Then comes "one praises His great virtues and their beauty". Bottom line is, the more purified love for Him is in the heart, the more chances are to have experiencing Him with His bliss. I have tried to say what I feel in this context other than Gyani ji who keeps quoting stories even when they are not necessary. Enjoy the following Guru Vaak in which Guru ji makes clear many illusions about liberation with His bliss and ponder over how the rest talk becomes immaterial !!!!

[/FONT]ਭਨਤਿ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਭਨਤਿਨਾਨਕੁ [/FONT]ਕਰੇ [/FONT]ਵੀਚਾਰੁ [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]भनति [/FONT]नानकु [/FONT]करे [/FONT]वीचारु [/FONT]
[/FONT]Bẖanaṯ Nānak karė vīcẖār.
[/FONT]Says Nanak, if some one embraces Lord's meditation,[/FONT]
[/FONT]ਗੁਰੂ [/FONT]ਜੀ [/FONT]ਆਖਦੇ [/FONT]ਹਨ, [/FONT]ਜੇਕਰ [/FONT]ਕੋਈ [/FONT]ਜਣਾ [/FONT]ਸਾਹਿਬ [/FONT]ਦੀ [/FONT]ਬੰਦਗੀ [/FONT]ਧਾਰਨ [/FONT]ਕਰ [/FONT]ਲਵੇ,[/FONT]

[/FONT]ਸਾਚਬਾਣੀ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਬਾਣੀਸਿਉ [/FONT]ਧਰੇ [/FONT]ਪਿਆਰੁ [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]साची [/FONT]बाणी [/FONT]सिउ [/FONT]धरे [/FONT]पिआरु [/FONT]
[/FONT]Sācẖī baṇī si*o ḏẖarė pi*ār.
[/FONT]and enshrines affection for the True Gurbani,[/FONT]
[/FONT]ਅਤੇ "[/FONT]ਸੱਚੀ [/FONT]ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ" [/FONT]ਪਿਰਹੜੀ [/FONT]ਪਾ [/FONT]ਲਵੇ,[/FONT]

[/FONT]ਤਾ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਤਾਕੋ [/FONT]ਪਾਵੈ [/FONT]ਮੋਖ [/FONT]ਦੁਆਰੁ [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]ता [/FONT]को [/FONT]पावै [/FONT]मोख [/FONT]दुआरु [/FONT]
[/FONT]Ŧā ko pāvai mokẖ ḏu*ār.
[/FONT]then alone attains he to the gate of salvation.[/FONT]
[/FONT]ਤਦ [/FONT]ਉਹ [/FONT]ਮੁਕਤੀ [/FONT]ਦੇ [/FONT]ਦਰਵਾਜੇ [/FONT]ਨੂੰ [/FONT]ਪ੍ਰਪਤ [/FONT]ਕਰ [/FONT]ਲੈਂਦਾ [/FONT]ਹੈ।
[/FONT] ਜਪੁ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਜਪੁਤਪੁ [/FONT]ਸਭੁ [/FONT]ਇਹੁ [/FONT]ਸਬਦੁ [/FONT]ਹੈ [/FONT]ਸਾਰੁ [/FONT][/FONT]੫॥੨॥੪॥
जपु तपु सभु इहु सबदु है सारु ॥५॥२॥४॥
Jap ṯap sabẖ ih sabaḏ hai sār. ||5||2||4||
This meditation of the Lord is the essence of all the worship and penances.
ਸਾਈਂ ਦੀ ਇਹ ਬੰਦਗੀ ਸਾਰੀਆਂ ਉਪਾਸ਼ਨਾਂ ਤੇ ਤਪੱਸਿਆ ਦਾ ਨਿਚ ਹੈ

[/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

I do respect your opinion. However, this katha is very popular at all the Boards. I am just posting it as a view of someone who must have devoted quite a time on this.
if there is something objectionable ,let it be informed .I shall stop it.

regards

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Quote "I do respect your opinion. However, this katha is very popular at all the Boards. I am just posting it as a view of someone who must have devoted quite a time on this.
if there is something objectionable ,let it be informed .I shall stop it.

regards

Sikh80 Ji

I wonder why my comments forced you to think that way. You are doing a wonderful job by sharing all different kinds of interpretations of different people on SPN; I never meant what you thought. Please keep up this good job. The reason I thanked you in the beginning was to give you hint not to take personal. Unfortunately it didnt work. Hope you can ignore my comments and continue contributing. Sincere thanks.

May 31, 2007

Dear sir:
I am sorry to burst your private little bubble. But Nanak is not God. For that matter, he is not even a proper guru. If you study his teachings carefully, you will find to your disappointment that Nanak was merely home grown 'godman.' He had a liking for this line of activity, a fondness to wandering about singing bhajans, etc., but at the end of the day, he simply was not qualified, or bona fide for the simple reason that he did not learn his ideologies from an established school of thought. Rather, he borrowed his ideologies for here there and everywhere and made up his own private version.
The science of self realization is a subtle science. Most think that they can ‘wing it.’ but really, you can’t. You may not be able to discern it. But those who know, will immediately tell you, “this man is winging it.” He does not really know.
So, don’t be a idiot and make him God now.

Thank you

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Presumably you can offer sources, than personal or subjective ones, for your opinions stated thus below.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

Moderator aadji,

I think the gentleman requires another thread where he can be listened to. In the past also he has not shown any respect to Gurus.

He may kindly be asked to begin a new thread and i hope he shall have his audience.Right now I am posting Katha and if it happens for some more time my effort shall be diluted.

Warm Regards

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Sikh80 ji,

I understand and am aware. Actually I am watching to see if some parts of the discussion need to move to Interfaith Dialogs.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Sorry, I cannot understand your comment. But, tell you what. Post 10 of Nanak's teachings (either you can or anybody else) and I will attempt to show you how they do not make up a cohesive ideology, and are in fact nothing more than a collection of borrowed bits that sounds impressive (they are after all, good bits), but ultimately does not make an bona fide and acceptable philosophical presentation.

I will tell you this mrkalee -- Your statements can be refuted in their entirety. However, this conversation has occurred many times on SPN in one form or another. So basically we would be going back over old terrain. And it would be a useless exercise where you and I are concerned because you are not going to change your mind and neither am I. Other forum members who want to explore this issue can do so based on related threads that abound in the forum. So with that, please consider moving that which you want to discuss to Interfaith Dialogs. ;)

Here is my reasoning. The forum we are now conversing in is Gurmat Vichaar. Gurmat Vichaar has a specific meaning. Critiques of Gurbani can go elsewhere, but they do not belong in the Gurmat Vichaar forum.

Apr 11, 2007

This discussion is useless. If god is formless, undescribable, timeless, nameless. Then each and every one of our depictions of god is correct. At the same point we are also all wrong. Only pray with the true name. Mann and Matth Keep control of them both. What if we are all god. What if we are not. What if guru is god. What if guru is not. What if there is no one description. Each and every path seems different the path is just to be PURE. It just all seems as a guide to be PURE of the mind body and soul Sikhism and other religion aswell. Life is just different journeys with a path to be PURE, just like when your a baby to go through life with the qualities of one i guess (You know what I mean Pure innocent, natural). Life makes you who you are before you learn the ways of the world I guess the natural human is a pure being. As a child of god. Guess we are all gods children. Maybe I am wrong. Who really is wright? Forget the discussion it cannot be won. The more you look at the depths of this discussion on god the more you understand god is Unexplicable, that is why god is not just exclusive to the guru's and they have taught us all on the same path to get to the same being they have experienced. Something you can not win either way there is no answer for it, like I once thought. I have grown, Surinder ji THANKS FOR THE ENLIGHTENMENT. Wherever i go, whatever i do, whatever i feel, i see god in each and everything. More important question to ask would be to ask, WHAT GOD IS NOT? Where does god not exisit? What is god not in?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

QUOTE nrkalee
Dear sir:
I am sorry to burst your private little bubble.
You haven’t done anything save for a display of your limited understanding about Sikhism.

But Nanak is not God.
A lot of Sikhs revere Guru Nanak as a Guru exceptionally able to lead to Truth which was covered with dreamer’s scriptures before him. So, first you must understand this very truth.
For that matter, he is not even a proper guru.
Obviously your word” proper” says it all, in the context of Guru, even this word “ proper” doesn’t suit in negative way either; it should be either true Guru or fake Guru.

If you study his teachings carefully, you will find to your disappointment that Nanak was merely home grown 'godman.'
Home grown Godman? Are there any out of space Godmen too? Are you shy of naming them? Obviously it is your hate that oozes out instead of showing any reason to support your views; dreamers can never realize the reality of centuries, still they are in slumber as numerous were before Guru Nanak.

He had a liking for this line of activity,
You have just admitted that Guru Nanak had a line of activity, do you see the originality can never be covered up with hate coming of frustrated mind? Here I remember Arya Smaji Daya Nand’s frustration and hatred very similar to yours.
a fondness to wandering about singing bhajans, etc.,
Singing Bhajan, of the almighty is quite contrary to prevailed trade in religion in his times; that only makes Him original by your own statement. If Guru Nanak had not started this, a lot of Indian population would have been serving in desert as slaves even today, he deserves thanks at least.

but at the end of the day, he simply was not qualified, or bona fide for the simple reason that he did not learn his ideologies from an established school of thought. Rather, he borrowed his ideologies for here there and everywhere and made up his own private version.
Spirituality achievement doesn’t come with special schools, if it had been like that, Hindus would have been leaders of the world today in religious field but sadly they are well known as worshipers of deities and promoters of disgusting tradition of caste system and exploitation of common people in context of religion and social set up. What kind of science and spirituality you are talking about? Many prophets of big religions were not trained in a school.
Immanuel Kant, one of the great philosophic system builders of all times, comes face to face with this question” what is knowledge?’ and how it is possible?” What really can we know and how?” He concludes that we can know only through experiences ( S.E. Frost Jr). That limits the idea of school for spiritual pursuit. Spirituality is totally wrapped in personal experience not in the curriculum of any school.
The science of self realization is a subtle science. Most think that they can ‘wing it.’ but really, you can’t. You may not be able to discern it. But those who know, will immediately tell you, “this man is winging it.” He does not really know.
He is not winging but tearing apart established dominance of so called educated hypocrites. First time, as put by Dr Iqbal, a Muslim scholar and poet compliments on dominance of Guru Nanak in the field of religion in India”, Hindustan was awakened a by a real man(Guru Nanak) from deep slumber". Your spiritual scientists did it otherwise if you are really aware of it.

So, don’t be a idiot and make him God now.
As told earlier Guru Nanak is highly revered by Sikhs as their true Guru , you are saying they are calling Him God, you neither understand metaphor nor what Sikhs revere about Guru Nanak, tell me who has proved to be idiot? They or you? Answer of this should run a sad feeling through inflated egoist.
We are aware of those well known who are accepted and worshiped even after their well known lustrous behavior ( some peoples call them Gods or what ever); we just respect them as per their wish unlike you to stoop low and question them, Sikhs are taught to respect others by the same one you are questioning. Guru Nanak was/ is highly revered by not only Sikhs but Muslims as well as per historical facts. So don’t display idiotic display of your small mind. One needs to grow up to deal with other religions with due respect today ( a time which is desperately in need of world harmony) . And, Guru Nanak is very much right in saying to all including you too.

ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੋਨੀ ਥਾਕੇ ਭੇਖੀ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਈ
parr parr panddith monee thhaakae bhaekhee mukath n paaee ||
Reading and studying continually, the Pandits

the religious scholars, and the silent sages have grown weary; wearing religious robes, liberation is not obtained( Foot note: .Because they practiced and preached hypocrisy)

ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਗਤੀ ਜਗੁ ਬਉਰਾਨਾ ਸਚੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਈ
naanak bin bhagathee jag bouraanaa sachai sabadh milaaee ||3||
O Nanak, without devotional worship, the world has gone insane; through the True Word of the Shabad, one meets the Lord. ||3||440(
Footnote: It is not matter of Schools but the true longing for HIM infused by Guru otherwise lost souls keep doing what ever they like, hence Guru Nanak’s ideology is not an arena of academic Pundits but spiritual experience of Almighty to which a few will attain that special ability to rise to that level of experiencing HIM; and, there fore gentleman/madam, Caravan goes on and dogs keep barking.)

Apr 11, 2007

Same way I must add that you cannot conform god to one singular thing. God is just not one form has no form as stated in the mool mantar. Just Guru Nanak alone I would not say is waheguru. Very complicated issue but very simple aswell. You can conform god to so many varities of thinking as god is infinate. Only guru nanak says to think about god through the essence of namm. Waheguru

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM