• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Nanak Amrit Ek Ha

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
If we go thro the Shabad.." Nanak Amrit ek ha, Duja nahi" ; Guru Sahib clearly told us that Amrit is only one and that is Naam. Than why the ceremony of taking "Khande-bate ki Pahul" is known as Amrit Sanchar??

The complete shabad on Ang 1238 of SGGS je is as follows:-

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਹਲਾ ੨ ॥
Shalok, Second Mehl:

ਜਿਨ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਰਤੇ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
Those who are blessed with the glorious greatness of Your Name - their minds are imbued with Your Love.
ਤੇ = (ਬਹੁ-ਵਚਨ) ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ। ਰਤੇ = ਰੱਤੇ, ਰੰਗੇ ਹੋਏ।
(ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ!) ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਸੋਭਾ (ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਸੁਭਾਗਤਾ) ਮਿਲੀ ਹੈ ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਆਪਣੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ (ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਰੰਗ ਨਾਲ) ਰੰਗੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ।

ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਏਕੁ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥
O Nanak, there is only One Ambrosial Nectar; there is no other nectar at all.
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ = ਅਮਰ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਜਲ, ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਨਾਮ-ਜਲ।
ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਉਹਨਾਂ ਲਈ) ਇਕ ਨਾਮ ਹੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਹੈ ਹੋਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਚੀਜ਼ ਨੂੰ ਉਹ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਮੰਨਦੇ।

ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਮਨੈ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
O Nanak, the Ambrosial Nectar is obtained within the mind, by Guru's Grace.
ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ = ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ।
ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਇਹ ਨਾਮ) ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ (ਹਰੇਕ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੇ) ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ ਹੈ, ਪਰ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ;

ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਪੀਤਾ ਰੰਗ ਸਿਉ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਉ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਆਦਿ ॥੧॥
They alone drink it in with love, who have such pre-ordained destiny. ||1||
ਰੰਗ ਸਿਉ = ਮੌਜ ਨਾਲ, ਸੁਆਦ ਨਾਲ। ਆਦਿ = ਮੁੱਢ ਤੋਂ, ਧੁਰ ਤੋਂ ॥੧॥
ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਭਾਗਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਧੁਰੋਂ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ; ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੇ ਹੀ ਸੁਆਦ ਨਾਲ ਪੀਤਾ ਹੈ ॥੧॥

While this ceremony is just initiating some one into the folds of Sikhism, than how its Amrit Sanchar. Could not follow it?

Can somebody will advise me,please. Thanks.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Than why the ceremony of taking "Khande-bate ki Pahul" is known as Amrit Sanchar??
A brilliant question, which is why some here do not refer to it as Amrit sanchar for that very reason

While this ceremony is just initiating some one into the folds of Sikhism, than how its Amrit Sanchar. Could not follow it?

Can somebody will advise me,please. Thanks.
The true Amrit is in the bani, as you already suspect, in my view.

The Pahul is between you and Creator, a declaration to uphold that bani and live by it

I am not initiated, I believe for me there are several stages, find the bani, know the bani, understand the bani, live by it, declare to live by it forever.

I am currently where I understand in a very simple fashion, but struggle with living it

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Once that Grave MISTAKE in MISUSING the Word AMRIT was made..a flood of mistakes began... the water in the SAROVARS, BALOIS, WELLS, etc etc became "Amrit"...water kept in containers under/nearby to SGGS became "Amrit"...even .the DIRTY WATER used to wash the feet of visitors to Gurdwaras became "Amrit"...BABAS like PEHOVA began to SELL Bottled "Amrit"... Water...Babas used to wash their bodies..their feet..all became Amrit....Water left behind in glasses out of which babas drank..became Amrit....and the MISTAKES CONTINUE....just like one missed STEP..down a slippery slope..and the slipping never STOPS.

The ONE and ONLY AMRIT that can bring the Spiritually DEAD back to LIFE is GURBANI in SGGS...

The Khandeh batte DEE PAHUL...Peevoh pajul Khandedhaar..hoveh janam suhela..Waho waho Gobind Singh Aapeh Gur Chela...is the RIGHT WAY to describe the INITIATION CEREMONY which even GURU GOBIND SINGH JI went through...that wasnt AMRIT because the GURU was already full of AMRIT (Gurbani)...

PAHUL is PAHUL....Use the correct word...

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
In ancient Hindu texts, Amrit was a drink consumed by the devtas to attain immortality.

Amrit has been used figuratively by Guru Nanak. Those who meditate on gurbani will attain immortality by freeing themselves from the cycle of birth and death.

Amrit Sanchaar was originally called Khande di Pahul. Earlier, Charan di Pahul was prepared with water that was used to wash the Guru's feet. A common practice at the time, among spiritual teachers and pupils seeking initiation.

Khande di Pahul (initiation by the sword) was introduced by Guru Gobind Singh. Guru ji was thinking long term, as there would be no human guru after him. From now on, initiation would be under the authority of the Khalsa Panth.

The term Amrit, used in reference to Khande di Pahul, is a misnomer. It has most likely been derived from an analogy drawn to the Amrit drink consumed by the Hindu devtas, as described in their texts.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It does me good to see some serious discussion of this issue where posters do not {censored}-foot around and get down to the basics -- as found in Gurbani. This is the first time I have seen a thread that stays on the single course, each poster adding clear, unadulterated insight to the meaning of this topic. Everyone seeking to find their perspective in Gurmat. :kaurkhalsaflagblue: and not in the kind of cultural drift that takes meaning away from the source. :kaurkhalsaflagred:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: