• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Name?

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

I agree with Satnam Singh, You shouldn't pick your own name. When you are in the Amrit Sanchar, you could always ask the Panj Pyare to choose the name for you, i think that that may be the best way to do it. If not then find someone close to you, whom you trust to choose it for you.

Aug 24, 2007
Yeah I Asked My Good Friend the baba ji at our Gurdwara and he said its best to get it from the 5 Beloved at amrit ceremony. and for the making ur own like Lionchild Which I don't really get I would just stick with that. not to be rude but Can someone explan me why lionchild has that name :S It confuses me a bit :S thanks

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada

I can not say exactly why Lionchild decided to adopt that name.... but my guess would be that firstly that was his understanding of what Singh means... or what Singh means to him you know?
Also, maybe it has to do with his background as an aboriginal. I dunno, this is only my guess but ya. Im not sure if he comes on this site anymore, i think he converted to the Ba'hai faith, if im not mistaken. But ya if he does still pop in here, that would be soo awesome.
BUt ya.... definatly receiving a name from the panj pyare is the best way to go. I had certain complications where that wasnt really possible, but i had the next best thing a very

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
thank you both for your advice & help. This is the kind of question a new person would be embarrassed to ask, so this friendly forum is a great, great help.
And so when the time comes I'll definitely will ask the panj piare, 5 beloved, at the amrit ceremony.

Aug 24, 2007
WJKK WJKF Forsure, I like to talk to others who are going through the same thing or have went thought it. But I would say that adding singh or kaur to your name before amrit is fine. take care and talk to you soon

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada

I can not say exactly why Lionchild decided to adopt that name.... but my guess would be that firstly that was his understanding of what Singh means... or what Singh means to him you know?
Also, maybe it has to do with his background as an aboriginal. I dunno, this is only my guess but ya. Im not sure if he comes on this site anymore, i think he converted to the Ba'hai faith, if im not mistaken. But ya if he does still pop in here, that would be soo awesome.
BUt ya.... definatly receiving a name from the panj pyare is the best way to go. I had certain complications where that wasnt really possible, but i had the next best thing a very

You got it! it was a mix of the two, i came up with that name quite some time ago, and yes i did convert to the baha'i faith. But... i still do post here.

In regards to name selection, when i asked my baba ji, he said it was really up to me. Keeping a family name, and for the sake of any legal issues, from what i hear, most do take a name from the panj pyare, but don't legaly change it to that name. I was original going to be called a punjabi name, but that never really went good with me then, for some reason.

Best advice, let the panj pyare choose for you. I do though, like "kelly kaur" :D

Aug 24, 2007
As For that, I think changing your name legal I think you should because that is you if you only do for fun, then your not to serious about changing your life which comes with taking amrit. Sikhi should be your life after amrit you can't just go back to being someone else agian. but doing that I would think its almost setting yourself up to fale.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
As For that, I think changing your name legal I think you should because that is you if you only do for fun, then your not to serious about changing your life which comes with taking amrit. Sikhi should be your life after amrit you can't just go back to being someone else agian. but doing that I would think its almost setting yourself up to fale.

Yeah, it can be a sign of dedication i guess, though, your friends and family will always remember you as your real name. That is really up to you and what your circumstances and what country you live in. If you have alot of people you know, and have a business you own or places you freguent alot, it can be more difficult to do so.

Aug 24, 2007
Well no one said being a sikh is easy. everyone has to make a little bit of a scarfice. Look at the Gurus they didn't chose the easy ways they had to do some hard things. so what having a new name thats nothing. and Trust me its not that hard its kinda silly I have 20 years of my first name but it didn't take to long to have people call me my new god givien name

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Well no one said being a sikh is easy. everyone has to make a little bit of a scarfice. Look at the Gurus they didn't chose the easy ways they had to do some hard things. so what having a new name thats nothing. and Trust me its not that hard its kinda silly I have 20 years of my first name but it didn't take to long to have people call me my new god givien name

Sure, whatever floats your boat :wink:

You're right, the gurus did not choose easy ways, that was kind of obvious from the start. :crazy:

Apr 4, 2007
i agree with satnam, i think someone elder and respected should choose it for you.

i have asked my future mother-in-law to choose my name (i'll take a hukam when i take amrit), because i have so much respect and love for her and i really wanted to find a way to share that with her. :)

i think as long as it's someone respected then it will be fine. :)

Ruqa

SPNer
Jun 23, 2012
Queensland, Australia.
Hey all. I was reading this thread the other day and I came to that post where there is a link you can go through to request a name and out of curiosity I did it. Then I came back and read on only to find out that thats not how you do it. Hmm oh well anyway I did it and they got back to me today with 'Siri Rai Kaur'... Strong name hey what a pity...:mundaviolin:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM