• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Name?

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I was wondering if I should choose a Sikh name for myself? Or do you only do this during Amrit?

Also, what happens during Amrit? Of course, I do not plan to do this for a long time. I want to be sure of what I am doing.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I was wondering if I should choose a Sikh name for myself? Or do you only do this during Amrit?

Also, what happens during Amrit? Of course, I do not plan to do this for a long time. I want to be sure of what I am doing.

Thank you.

hannah ji in sikhism men have singh in their last name and women have kaur.
so it is your choice if you want to attach kaur to your existing name

Hukum Kaur

SPNer
Jul 6, 2005
Portland, Oregon
spiritual name

http://www.3ho.org/yb/spiritualname.html

Go here to get a spiritual name request form. A spiritual name is no important because it is your destiny and when people call you by this name, they are calling you into action and reminding you of that destiny. Yes you will have Kaur at the end of that name and if and when the Guru Graces you to take Amrit you will then too have Khalsa.
The name given to you is chosen with your neumorology and your souls destiny. The person in charge, here in the wst, was taught by Yogi Bhajan himself. It is a very personal thing, and once you recieve one, I sugjest you use it with everyone.
In Loving service, Hukum Kaur Khalsa

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

hannah Ji,

Just under a year ago, i finally built up the courage to receive a name. My birth name, and legal name is Shannon, and when i took amrit a veerji had proposed the idea of changine my name. Due to certain circumstances ( many my lack of courage) it did not happen, and i started to feel very sad that i did not have a name from the Guru Granth Sahib.

Anywho... it finally happened and it feels nice.
Personally i dont think that its manditory to change your first name, but if you want to just go to the Gurdwara and recieve a Hukamnaama, or if you have Guru Sahib's Hajoori in your house that will work to. Once you get the letter, ask someone that you trust, to help choose a name.. and then there you go.
It gets more complicated if you want to change it legally.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada

hannah Ji,

Just under a year ago, i finally built up the courage to receive a name. My birth name, and legal name is Shannon, and when i took amrit a veerji had proposed the idea of changine my name. Due to certain circumstances ( many my lack of courage) it did not happen, and i started to feel very sad that i did not have a name from the Guru Granth Sahib.

Anywho... it finally happened and it feels nice.
Personally i dont think that its manditory to change your first name, but if you want to just go to the Gurdwara and recieve a Hukamnaama, or if you have Guru Sahib's Hajoori in your house that will work to. Once you get the letter, ask someone that you trust, to help choose a name.. and then there you go.
It gets more complicated if you want to change it legally.

Why change your first name? Guru accepts your name as is. Of course, like many of us do, your can have a spiritual or religious name that you can also be called by. But legally changing your name is not necessary. Also, you can be creative with your religious name, in my case, i used lionchild instead of singh, and etc.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Lionchild ji,

i have not of yet changed it legally, and probably never will. Most people do not even konw that i have receieved a name. I just wanted one for my own peace i guess.
a Bhenji once told me, ( i dunno if a agree with this or not but im gonna say it anyway hehe) that your name is like your highest destiny. In sikhi we have such beautiful names, i mean who would not want one lol.
The name i was received was Tavprasad meaning Thy Grace, it brings tears to my eyes when ever i hear someone call me that. Its like saying Waheguru has bestowed Grace on me, which he has.
As far as changing a persons name legally though, that is a very very tough thing to do, as the government is being so strick because of fraud and stuff like that.
anywho, i like the whole being creatvie with your name. The name lionchild is really cool, and unique. I like it :D

Apr 4, 2007
Re: spiritual name

Go here to get a spiritual name request form. A spiritual name is no important because it is your destiny and when people call you by this name, they are calling you into action and reminding you of that destiny. Yes you will have Kaur at the end of that name and if and when the Guru Graces you to take Amrit you will then too have Khalsa.
The name given to you is chosen with your neumorology and your souls destiny. The person in charge, here in the wst, was taught by Yogi Bhajan himself. It is a very personal thing, and once you recieve one, I sugjest you use it with everyone.
In Loving service, Hukum Kaur Khalsa

i just want to point out that your Sikh name should be selected by taking Hukam from Guru Granth Sahib ji, not by numerology, as numerology and astrology are considered superstitions and are condemned by Guru ji. :)

when choosing a Sikh name, you should follow the naming ceremony (Naam Karan) as laid out in the Sikh Rehat Maryada (sikh code of conduct):

[FONT=Helvetica,Arial]Then the holy Hukam (command) should be taken. A name starting with the first letter of the hymn of the Hukam (command) should be proposed by the granthi (man in attendance of the holy book) and, after its acceptance by the congregation, the name should be announced by him. The boy's name must have the suffix "Singh" and the girl's, the suffix "Kaur".[/FONT]

i'm waiting for amrit (next year on vaisakhi day, with Guru's grace!) to take a Sikh first name, but have added "Kaur" since i became Sikh.

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida

i just want to point out that your Sikh name should be selected by taking Hukam from Guru Granth Sahib ji, not by numerology, as numerology and astrology are considered superstitions and are condemned by Guru ji. :)

when choosing a Sikh name, you should follow the naming ceremony (Naam Karan) as laid out in the Sikh Rehat Maryada (sikh code of conduct):

[FONT=Helvetica,Arial]Then the holy Hukam (command) should be taken. A name starting with the first letter of the hymn of the Hukam (command) should be proposed by the granthi (man in attendance of the holy book) and, after its acceptance by the congregation, the name should be announced by him. The boy's name must have the suffix "Singh" and the girl's, the suffix "Kaur".[/FONT]

i'm waiting for amrit (next year on vaisakhi day, with Guru's grace!) to take a Sikh first name, but have added "Kaur" since i became Sikh.

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

Oh I thought that was how they were going to get the name, from the Hukam. I just sent my request form.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina

When you take amrit and then request hukam; I know your name should commence with the letter. But is it done right them?
In the future when I take amrit I intend to take a new name & would wish it to
reflect spiritual qualities like Tavprasad Kaur.
So does someone help you?

Aug 24, 2007
WJKK WJKF, For Myself I am a convert to sikhi, but I am the only other convert in my area and I havn't meet 2 many others, but in my sangat at our gurdwara its more that a at the amrt ceremony you get a new name as does some other people. when u take it u kinda leave ur old life behind in a sense and its easyer to start new :S and for lionchild I don't understand that too much but maybe who knows.

Aug 24, 2007
P.S I Think that someone from the sangat or the Giani ji should pick one for you, my antys at the gurdwara picked it for me after amrit. don't pick it yourself that seems kinda different, but hey thats my views

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: