• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mystery Of Meaning Of Death In Sikhism

Oct 18, 2012
scientist all over were studying the mystery of death, thru NDE, near death experiences.. but that was actually not a true death experience because the etheric silver cord was still connected to the physical body. it was a vey limited experience.. from the below verses we can see nanak ji speaking of the knot actually it is the silver etheric cord that is connected to the body..in true death this knot is untied.. in the other verse below we can see how maya, had cast it s net and prevented the souls from escaping from maya to earn mukti.. nanak ji is also giving the understanding of the true meaning of death in sikhism.. please discuss if you have any other oppinions.. thanks

Page 1110, Line 14
ਖੂਲੀ ਗੰਠਿ ਉਠੋ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਆਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥
खूली गंठि उठो लिखिआ आइआ राम ॥
Kẖūlī ganṯẖ uṯẖo likẖi▫ā ā▫i▫ā rām.
The knot has been untied; rise up - the order has come!
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Page 1302, Line 11
ਅਨਿਕ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਕੀ ਏਕੈ ਜਾਲੀ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਗੰਠਿ ਨਹੀ ਛੋਰਾਇ ॥੧॥
अनिक भांति की एकै जाली ता की गंठि नही छोराइ ॥१॥
Anik bẖāʼnṯ kī ekai jālī ṯā kī ganṯẖ nahī cẖẖorā▫e. ||1||
In all sorts of ways, Maya has cast the net; the knots cannot be loosened. ||1||
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Page 1216, Line 9
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਮਝੁ ਰੇ ਇਆਨੇ ਆਜੁ ਕਾਲਿ ਖੁਲ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਤੇਰੀ ਗਾਂਠੁਲੀ ॥੨॥੩੮॥੬੧॥
कहु नानक समझु रे इआने आजु कालि खुल्है तेरी गांठुली ॥२॥३८॥६१॥
Kaho Nānak samajẖ re i▫āne āj kāl kẖulĥai ṯerī gāʼnṯẖulī. ||2||38||61||
Says Nanak: figure it out, you ignorant fool! Today or tomorrow, the knot will be untied! ||2||38||61||

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
scientist all over were studying the mystery of death, thru NDE, near death experiences.. but that was actually not a true death experience because the etheric silver cord was still connected to the physical body. it was a vey limited experience.. from the below verses we can see nanak ji speaking of the knot actually it is the silver etheric cord that is connected to the body..in true death this knot is untied.. in the other verse below we can see how maya, had cast it s net and prevented the souls from escaping from maya to earn mukti.. nanak ji is also giving the understanding of the true meaning of death in sikhism.. please discuss if you have any other oppinions.. thanks

Page 1110, Line 14

Page 1302, Line 11
In all sorts of ways, Maya has cast the net; the knots cannot be loosened. ||1||

Page 1216, Line 9
Says Nanak: figure it out, you ignorant fool! Today or tomorrow, the knot will be untied! ||2||38||61||

There is no mystery in the meaning of the pps you have referred from SGSS. At page 1110, line 14, Guru Sahib is referring to ganthri of swas (i.e. count of breaths allotted to a soul in a human body) when available breaths are consumed/exhausted one has to go from the living world.
At pp 1302, line 11, the reference is made to Maya Moh Di Ganthri.
At pp 1216, line 9 it is referred to life bound by ganthri if breaths.
Nowhere it is related to one's umbilical cord.
Sikhism is not a complex religion but Gurbani is written in simple language. Sometimes it becomes difficult to understand Gurbani, the reason being many of the simple words used 3-500 years from today have become extinct in our vocabulary. We rely more on English words when we run short of Punjabi/Hindustani words though Punjabi/Hindustani are very rich in diversity of vocabulary.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The thread is in the Questions and Answers subforum of Sikh Sikhi Sikhism. That means we have a duty to the members and those who are faithful readers to represent Sikhi in an accurate way. Blending with Sikhi the beliefs from other paths like "rosicrucians" and what they preach or what we think they preach will not be allowed. I have tried patiently to make this known on other threads. On this thread, entries are scheduled for deletion when they misrepresent Sikhism. Fair warning.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Why be wasting precious moments and breaths discussing death ?
When we do not even know or even have the slightest control of how or when it will happen ?
The moment of death just comes without any preparation, you can never even say goodbye to your loved ones, but you should make the most of every moment whilst breathing so that no negative feelings are ever left with anyone.

I have been lucky enough to go right upto death's door and still come back.
Living is so important to me now, because I know that given my consequences not many ever survive or wake up from a month long coma.
Even if I don't do anything constructive or rewarding at all on some days, I still don't ever feel that I wasted the day. Because to be living through each day is itself a blessing.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

There is no mystery in the meaning of the pps you have referred from SGSS. At page 1110, line 14, Guru Sahib is referring to ganthri of swas (i.e. count of breaths allotted to a soul in a human body) when available breaths are consumed/exhausted one has to go from the living world.

Interesting that this comes up about breath for me today. This past week I have been contemplating a lot on how the "veil" or "maya" appears, in some ways, like the inability to recognize those "involuntary actions" like breathing. We don't even see how amazing breathing is. And breathing is Life. If we were truly mindful of every breath, perhaps we would awaken to Life/Spirit.

That's just me. Maybe I'm taking us off-topic again. I apologize if so.peacesign

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sat Nam _/|\_

We don't even see how amazing breathing is. And breathing is Life. If we were truly mindful of every breath, perhaps we would awaken to Life/Spirit.

namji{censored}aur ji

This is the road taken with Shabad Guru: ਮਾਹਾ ਰੁਤੀ ਸਭ ਤੂੰ ਘੜੀ ਮੂਰਤ ਵੀਚਾਰਾ ॥
Māhā ruṯī sabẖ ṯūʼn gẖaṛī mūraṯ vīcẖārā. Through all the months and the seasons, the minutes and the hours, I dwell upon You, O Lord.

Guru Nanak, Guru Ram Das, and Guru Arjan were all very specific that being mindful of the breath in the sense of a pranic discipline is useless. True it may happen for some who pursue this discipline, but the idea that mindful breaking will unlock the peace or spirituality within you is not consistent with ShabadGuru.

Here is just one paori that makes a completely different point, and there are many a shabad just like this one. Waheguru is the breath of life. Be mindful of Waheguru.

ਮਾਹਾ ਰੁਤੀ ਸਭ ਤੂੰ ਘੜੀ ਮੂਰਤ ਵੀਚਾਰਾ ॥
माहा रुती सभ तूं घड़ी मूरत वीचारा ॥
Māhā ruṯī sabẖ ṯūʼn gẖaṛī mūraṯ vīcẖārā.
Through all the months and the seasons, the minutes and the hours, I dwell upon You, O Lord.

ਤੂੰ ਗਣਤੈ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਸਚੇ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥
तूं गणतै किनै न पाइओ सचे अलख अपारा ॥
Ŧūʼn gaṇṯai kinai na pā▫i▫o sacẖe alakẖ apārā.
No one has attained You by clever calculations, O True, Unseen and Infinite Lord.

ਪੜਿਆ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਲਬੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਾ ॥
पड़िआ मूरखु आखीऐ जिसु लबु लोभु अहंकारा ॥
Paṛi▫ā mūrakẖ ākẖī▫ai jis lab lobẖ ahaʼnkārā.
That scholar who is full of greed, arrogant pride and egotism, is known to be a fool.

ਨਾਉ ਪੜੀਐ ਨਾਉ ਬੁਝੀਐ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਵੀਚਾਰਾ ॥
नाउ पड़ीऐ नाउ बुझीऐ गुरमती वीचारा ॥
Nā▫o paṛī▫ai nā▫o bujẖī▫ai gurmaṯī vīcẖārā.
So read the Name, and realize the Name, and contemplate the Guru's Teachings.

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਨੁ ਖਟਿਆ ਭਗਤੀ ਭਰੇ ਭੰਡਾਰਾ ॥
गुरमती नामु धनु खटिआ भगती भरे भंडारा ॥
Gurmaṯī nām ḏẖan kẖati▫ā bẖagṯī bẖare bẖandārā.
Through the Guru's Teachings, I have earned the wealth of the Naam; I possess the storehouses, overflowing with devotion to the Lord.

ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਦਰਿ ਸਚੈ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ॥
निरमलु नामु मंनिआ दरि सचै सचिआरा ॥
Nirmal nām mani▫ā ḏar sacẖai sacẖi▫ārā.
Believing in the Immaculate Naam, one is hailed as true, in the True Court of the Lord.

ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਜੀਉ ਪਰਾਣੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥
जिस दा जीउ पराणु है अंतरि जोति अपारा ॥
Jis ḏā jī▫o parāṇ hai anṯar joṯ apārā.
The Divine Light of the Infinite Lord, who owns the soul and the breath of life, is deep within the inner being.

ਸਚਾ ਸਾਹੁ ਇਕੁ ਤੂੰ ਹੋਰੁ ਜਗਤੁ ਵਣਜਾਰਾ ॥੬॥
सचा साहु इकु तूं होरु जगतु वणजारा ॥६॥
Sacẖā sāhu ik ṯūʼn hor jagaṯ vaṇjārā. ||6||
You alone are the True Banker, O Lord; the rest of the world is just Your petty trader. ||6||

References to the number of breaths we have left in life are another matter entirely and are not a matter of mystic fascination. The Guru Sahibhan are stating very simply that our lifetime is pre-ordained, and in a poetic sense we can measure it in terms of the number of breaths granted to us. But this is not meant in the literal sense of being mindful of how many breaths we have or are left to take.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2012
Oct 18, 2012
those who had realised akal moorat or nirgun brahman in their meditation will understand what death is.. for god realisation meaning of death must be known.. jivanmukt is a person who is dying everyday while living.. he is enjoying death daily. immanent part of god in maya is sarguna where 3 qualities are created. in sikhism defination of god is both transcendental and immanent.. that is the reasons why in our mool jap we are mentioning god is everywhere..in the beginning when nothing was created, there was no sarguna yet, god was in unmanifested form called nirgun brahman.. this is where nanak ji is defining god as ONE..to realise this nirgun stage in deep meditation is similar like understanding what death is. this is my oppinion

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2012
i tried to edit but it does not works,,was trying to put this link, page 94--

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/books/....Surinder.Singh.Kohli.(GurmatVeechar.com).pdf

dear all members
i am not talking about physical death which the mind understand.. going deeper in understanding the etheric part of it.. refer to above link, page 94, where the etheric meaning of it is mentioned.. and it is related to the etheric silver cord..

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
THINK....MAUT (DEATH) comes to everyone..its the Most Common event...
BUT MATT---GURMATT doesnt come that EASY..and neither is IT that COMMON...

The SGGS is tailor made to take us along the PATH of GUR-MATT !! before the inevitable and COMMON DEATH comes...

THINK AGAIN>. which is MORE IMPORTANT ?? DEATH or MATT of the GURU ???

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Harcharanjit ji

Thanks for providing a reference for your topic. The file is 2.83mb and needs to be saved locally for ease of navigation. Fun fact: there's a Greek Goddess called Hekate. One of her symbols is a knife used to cut the umbilical cord at birth, and the astral cord at death.

The idea of such an astral cord is widespread. However, I feel the references to it within Gurbani are scant, and amidst the many, many angs of the entire Guru Granth Sahib Ji it is a tiny reference, used primarily for poetic illustration.

Some people are interested in this sort of thing, and that's fine, but there are many more prominent topics in Guru Granth Sahib Ji to contemplate.

Like how to control your krodh. lol (personal joke that one)

Oct 18, 2012
Harcharanjit ji

Thanks for providing a reference for your topic. The file is 2.83mb and needs to be saved locally for ease of navigation. Fun fact: there's a Greek Goddess called Hekate. One of her symbols is a knife used to cut the umbilical cord at birth, and the astral cord at death.

The idea of such an astral cord is widespread. However, I feel the references to it within Gurbani are scant, and amidst the many, many angs of the entire Guru Granth Sahib Ji it is a tiny reference, used primarily for poetic illustration.

Some people are interested in this sort of thing, and that's fine, but there are many more prominent topics in Guru Granth Sahib Ji to contemplate.

Like how to control your krodh. lol (personal joke that one)

dear ishna
i aggree what you are saying but we must try our best to understand every part of guru granth and also try to understand the inner etheric part of it .. there is a hidden mystery in every verse, only a serching research type mind will find the answer.. i had ask some of my friends those belongs to other religions, what is the real defination of death in their teachings.. majority were saying it s just like sleeping and having dreams.. so this triggers me to go deep into sikh scriptures to find the answer.. so when i found it, i put it on this thread so i can discuss further to improve my knowledge on this subject.. thanks for your reply ishna

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
A Gursikh does not fear physical DEATH...he fears SPIRITUAL DEATH.

This is why the Hundreds of thousands of Sikh Martyrs shaeeds faced the most horrendous physical tortures and deaths..BUT NEVER ONE gave up his GURMATT.

The Gurbani SOHILA which is read last daily by each Sikh just before going to bed is a REMINDER about this Physical death..and this is why a SIKH doesnt fear it..although fear of death is by far the One GREATEST of fears of Men. A SIKH is in constant touch with "DEATH" unlike others who try and keep this subject under the carpet as long as possible..its Taboo to talk about Death !! In Sikhism a person is a LIVING DEAD..when hes separated from the GURU.....when he forgets the GURU....and is only TRULY ALIVE when in contact with his GURU...

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010

Page 1110, Line 14

Page 1302, Line 11

Page 1216, Line 9

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
There is nothing so complicated about death. No ko jivai na ko marai. Sab jag chalanhar. It is continuous process of natural change. Some abrupt some smooth. One is just changinh forms changing shapes; and nothing more. Only problem is that one does not know as to which form one is taking aftrer this change called death. Since every moment and every movement is a mystery, one need not worry of such changes.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
There is nothing so complicated about death. No ko jivai na ko marai. Sab jag chalanhar. It is continuous process of natural change. Some abrupt some smooth. One is just changinh forms changing shapes; and nothing more. Only problem is that one does not know as to which form one is taking aftrer this change called death. Since every moment and every movement is a mystery, one need not worry of such changes.

Could there be two problems? the other being that one really does not know anything after this change called death.

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Could there be two problems? the other being that one really does not know anything after this change called death.
Do you start worrying when you find change every second and do to exactly know what will happen next. Leave it to His Will and let it happen what happens; there is nothing worry. No change can thus be a cause of worry.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: