• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

My Understanding: Sukhmani Sahib: Shalok That Preceds 5th Ashtapadee

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,
I share with you all, my understanding of the Shalok that precedes the 5th Ashtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib. Please note that the English sentence after the Transliteration is not the exact literal translation of the sentence, it is the meaning of the tuk as understood by me.
dynhwru pRB Coif kY lwgih Awn suAwie ] daynhaar parabh chhod kai laageh aan su-aa-ay.
One who leaves ‘The Sat’ the Giver, and attaches himself to other affairs

2. nwnk khU n sIJeI ibnu nwvY piq jwie ]1] naanak kahoo na seejh-ee bin naavai pat jaa-ay. ||1||
O Nanak, he shall never succeed. Without the Name, he shall degenerate. ||1||

My understanding:
Guru Sahib has elaborated in the 4th Ashtapadee how we have to function as instruments of ‘The Sat’. After taking birth in human form we indulge in pleasure of the body - physical or mental - then we are attaching our selves to what Guru Sahib has referred to as others.
I share with you what I understand from the word ‘attachment’. The dictionary meaning of attachment is a feeling of a strong connection with some one or some thing. Without violating this meaning, we have to understand word this in our context. Here the word attachment means unproductive, unwarranted, compulsive linkage for ones own, self cultivated, metal fulfillment. It not the same as owns full a devoted involvement in discharge of Manav (human) Dharma (duty).
For example, the mother has to become fully involved to nurture and care for the new born baby; she may spend all her time at the beginning performing this Manav Dharma. As the baby grows, the assistance that the baby needs reduces. If the mother keeps on doing things that the child is fully capable of, given its age and mental development, then that is attachment. The mother is doing, and in a way fooling her, that the child needs her; doing so makes her feel wanted – a mental illusion. Involvement to is a linkage the urge for which comes from some higher sense of duty. Involved person can link and delink at wish there is no special pleasure in linking and there is no agony when time comes for delinking. In attachment like linkages, there is some kind of physical or mental pleasure and when detachment takes place it is the pain that the person experiences. It is clear that living in this world we have to perform all the worldly tasks, but all that should be part of Manav Dharma, without attachment or getting addicted to it. I sum by saying that a ‘Satvika’ person gets involved and delink her/him when there is no need for involvement at his own will, without any physical/mental pleasure or pain. Such person remains satisfied all the time.

When the entire person is engaged in seeking worldly pleasures, naturally the person will not have time or energy to work for spiritual awaking. With passage of time the person will get more and more engulfed in running after the objects of sensory pleasures and mental enjoyment. He will progressively move away from spiritual path, this happening Guru Sahib has called degeneration. As I understand he has said so because the person has moves away from the intent of birth in human form and is living like animals – this is nothing but degeneration. Without the remembrance of ‘The Sat’, progress on the path of spirituality cannot be achieved.
With this I close the post.
With love and respect for all.
Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM