• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion My Friend Is Visiting India - What Should I Ask Him To Bring Back?

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
My friend is visiting India around Christmas (not sure if he's going to Punjab or not, I'll have to ask and suggest), and I've thought about anything I could send for while he's there; as far as I know, things are generally a good bit cheaper in India and there's a good chance he'll find something more interesting & unique while there in person than I would find online.

A few obvious ideas sprang to mind, like sending for a kirpan, kanga, kara, a chola/bana, or anything like that.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Also, generally how much cheaper are things in India as compared to buying online?

(P.S., needless to say, I am going to be financing any souveneirs he brings back for me!)

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
You may be better get some figures from the members based in India.

The ONE lesson that I have learnt is to Never ASK the Price when speaking to an Indian Merchant!!!!
The price you will get and hear will be set accordingly to your question. ..ie.. when one asks the price, it tells the merchant that this buyer does not have a clue of what the value of the product is and what he is willing to pay for it!!
You become an ideal target for the merchant to rip off.

Most indians go around and shop by offering to the merchant what they will pay for the item, even if it has a price tag, they simply have no regard for it.

In the west a ''bargain'' is something that has been reduced or had it's price cut by x-amount from the original price.
In India and most eastern countries, a bargain is where the customer makes a ridiculous offer and the merchant gives in or gives it away for the said amount.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
absolutely correct...i also learn t this trick long ago...IGNORE the price Tag, the Merchants offer etc and OFFER YOUR PRICE..you will almost always get that...no matter how ridiculous...because our currency is higher we tend to calculate accordingly...trick is to DIVIDE the currency value and offer 40% BELOW that...

Say the "suggetsed " price/merchant said or price tag..etc..is Rs 1000/ as aMalaysian I divide the 1000 by 18 as RM 1 = 18 INR...so i get 50..then i cut 40-50% off that and offer RM 25..which is....450..so I will only PAY 400...and "allow" him to give me a free gift...in the bargain...and IF you have a LOCAL SHYLOCK with YOu..i guarantee you he will get the exact same thing for 200++...Already tried and tested..those people are rip off artists of top order...

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I wonder how much the merchant actually makes then? How much does he buy his product for vs how much he sells it for vs how many of them he would sell... is it better to get yourself a great bargain or to pay the merchant a fair price for something according to its value?

This coming from a westerner who is regularly sucked into paying full price for everything for fear of ripping off the merchant! LOL how naiive!

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the help everyone!
Gyani-ji and Lucky-ji, my friend is going with his Dad who has been to India a few times (as far as I know, he worked there when he was younger) so I think he probably knows the culture of bargaining over there, thanks for your posts. mundahug
Anyone own anything interesting bought in India?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Thanks for the help everyone!
Gyani-ji and Lucky-ji, my friend is going with his Dad who has been to India a few times (as far as I know, he worked there when he was younger) so I think he probably knows the culture of bargaining over there, thanks for your posts. mundahug
Anyone own anything interesting bought in India?

Modern day REALITY..the WORLD is a VILLAGE..what you cna get in INDIA...you cna get in UK OTTAWA or TIMBUKTOO...whatever you ahve in TIMBUKTOO..you cna get in KAPURTHALA !! Its just a matter of taste/individuality...INDIANS back home die for/and KILL for..PHOREN.BRANDED/IMPORTED !! Thats one reason why so many rushing abroad ILLEGALLY, enduring Hardships like being hidden in containers, buried under pig swill go hungry and cold for days and weeks in forests struggling in knee deep snows.....so they can wash toilets in UK and return HOME with pockets full of POUNDS and LORD it over their fellow Villagers who OOOOHH and AHHH after them...WAH..UK Branded Shirt..wah Japanese Watch Seiko Five..Wah this and wah that...their brains are always converting POUNDS/USD to Indian Rupees...

So just GO and ENJOY..buy whatever you fancy...If you FORGET..GO ONLINE and ORDER !!! Save all the hassle of packing carrying losing it in the taxi or airport..paying extra for luggage...hassle hassle hassle...ha ha compared to..mouse click..add to cart..paypal..and wait for the courier..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM