• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Music Is Haram In Islam?

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Singh ji,

Recently, I came across similar discussions, where I learnt that the holy Quran mentiones 'lahv al-hadith' which stands for any thing that could allure and absorb a listener completely and make him heedless of everything else around him. In practical usage, they stand for evil, useless and vain things. Examples: time killing gossips, joking and jesting, fictitious stories, singing and merry-making etc. And music seems to be just a part of those things.

Well, as Islam has faith in this particular aspect like this, I respect that. However, as an ordinary human being, I dont concur. For me, music (or still better - keertan) leads to better heights, the ecstasy of which is something to be felt on individual basis.

Practically, humans tend to release their stressed life nowadays via music, although music has better purposes which have potential to understand the creative energy around us.

Best Regards.

riskygujjar

Banned
Mar 9, 2013
Re: Music is Haram in Islam ???

not all music is haram.

music singed for praise of allah and his prophet isnt haraam. with one condition that is music instruments shouldnt be included in it.

morever we cant listen women singing.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

not all music is haram.

music singed for praise of allah and his prophet isnt haraam. with one condition that is music instruments shouldnt be included in it.

morever we cant listen women singing.
riskygujjar ji

Don't get this at all! Kalam by men and women, with instruments of all kinds, take part and perform in praise of allah -- unless you saying that Sufis are not Muslims. Of greater note is the number of "Ustads" Master Teachers who are sought after by students of northern Indian music, including Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims. These master teachers are also both women and men, though fewer are women.

What are you talking about?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

I think the reason that you are not to hear or listen to women singing is because they would rather you be watching them dance !0:)
Watching the 'nachanwali' at the 'khotah' is a very old eastern tradition.

Therefore, what is the point of allowing a woman to sing because she should and can dance for you instead and then be available for extras after the dancing. :cheerleaders:
wink...wink....!!

riskygujjar

Banned
Mar 9, 2013

yeah not all sufis are muslim.

because not all sufis who declare themselves sufi are sufi either?

i mean a person who wear chola of fakir and start sinmging allah hu allah.he isnt a sufi.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

“Consciousness expresses itself through creation. This world we live in is the dance of the creator. Dancers come and go in the twinkling of an eye but the dance lives on. On many an occasion when I am dancing, I have felt touched by something sacred.In those moments, I felt my spirit soar and become one with everything that exists.

I become the stars and the moon. I become the lover and the beloved. I become thevictor and the vanquished. I become the master and the slave. I become the singer and the song. I become the knower and the known. I keep on dancing then it is the eternal
dance or creation. The creator and creation merge into one wholeness of joy. I keep on dancing...and dancing...and dancing. Until there is only...the dance.”

Michael Jackson

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.

I think the reason that you are not to hear or listen to women singing is because they would rather you be watching them dance !0:)
Watching the 'nachanwali' at the 'khotah' is a very old eastern tradition.

Therefore, what is the point of allowing a woman to sing because she should and can dance for you instead and then be available for extras after the dancing. :cheerleaders:
wink...wink....!!

This post is in bad taste and derogatory to women.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

jasbirkaleka ji

I had a different take on the comment. However . ....If you find the post objectionable you click on the Report button in the upper left corner of the post. That is better than a thread comment because several mods will take a look and discuss your complaint. Better than discussing it here which will take us off-topic. The comment will be discussed in a different area of the forum and you will be updated on the results of the discussion. Luckysinghji will also know how several people have judged the comment. The report button is the ! inside a triangle. Thank you

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012

Waheguru!
I believe music is viewed as haram by Wahhabi and similar hard-line muslims. The shame and the irony is that some of the most beautiful music on the planet comes out of the Islamic traditions. The traditional music of Egypt, Morrocco, Turkey, Algeria, Iran, have a deep and unique beauty to them. The Islamic call to prayer, issued in song form, can be absolutely transporting.
I can't help but believe that the proscription against music is a misguided ruling emerging from a deeply sexist patriarchy, where men strive for salvation, while women are presented as temptresses or distractions. In the Quranic descriptions of heaven, don't forget, it's repeatedly painted as a place where men recline on divans while pretty girls serve them. These girls, are they also in heaven -still serving- or perhaps are they serving out some punishment, condemned to still toil away in service of men even in the eternal afterlife?
In real spiritual life, of course, women are angelic souls, just like males, their singing just as divine; their music just as entrancing, and the universal music of the whole Creation is celebrated, not feared.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM