• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada Mourners Say Farewell To Murdered Surrey Student Maple (Kaur) Batalia

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Mourners say farewell to murdered SFU Surrey student Maple ( Kaur ) Batalia
By Susan Lazaruk, The Province - October 8, 2011

5524411.bin

As family and friends offered prayers at a service for slain SFU student Maple Batalia yesterday, police were working on a new lead in hopes of finding the killer over the weekend.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team released surveillance video of a white 2011 Dodge Charger they believe is the suspect vehicle used in the murder at Simon Fraser University’s Surrey university campus.

The sports car was captured on security video driving near the campus where the 19-year-old health sciences student was apparently shot several times at 1 a.m. early on Sept. 28.

“Investigators can say that the Dodge Charger appears to be the crime vehicle used by the suspects believed to be responsible for the homicide of Maple Batalia,” IHIT spokeswoman Cpl. Jennifer Pound said in the release, referring to “suspects” in plural.

Police are asking anyone who may have spotted the car or seen anything suspicious that morning or the evening before to call the IHIT tipline at 1-877-4448.

Batalia’s ex-boyfriend, Gurjinder “Gary” Dhaliwal, is facing assault charges after surrendering in connection with an earlier assault against a woman and a man at a Tim Hortons restaurant four days before she was killed.

No arrests have been made in the murder and police have not named any suspects.

Batalia’s father, Harry Batalia, made a public appeal through the media at Surrey RCMP headquarters after the surveillance images were realized on Friday evening, begging the killer to turn himself in.

“I humbly say to the people who harmed my daughter, ... turn yourself to the law,” he said. “It’s no way you’re going to hide for long. As you know, the law of this nation doesn’t give up. They will track you. They will find you.

“It will be a better way for you to turn yourself in instead of hiding,” he said.
The next morning, Batalia’s father was among 1,000 mourners who packed a Sikh memorial service for the young woman at the Riverside Funeral Home in Delta.

In addition to Punjabi prayers, the mourners heard a number of speeches, including an emotional eulogy by Maple’s sister, Roseleen, 25, who said the family was looking for justice.

A number of young women after the service posted comments to the RIP Maple Batalia Facebook page, which had almost 13,000 followers as of yesterday.

“I didn’t go (yesterday) to say goodbye, but to remember all the good times we had together,” Navi Gill posted to the page. “You accomplished so much in the short 19 years of your life. You looked beautiful today. The sun is out ... it’s you, your soul, your light. I love you.”

Rubeen Sangha posted a plea to the Sikh holy man who prayed over Batalia: “Babaji, please let justice be served for the gorgeous Maple and let her family get through this tough time. Btw, Maple, you look so precious even as you left the world today. May you rest in peace.”

The mourners filed out looking sombre after 90 minutes and were invited for another prayer service at a Sikh temple.

After the memorial service, a distraught Harry Batalia spoke publicly about his grief for his daughter, whom he said had no enemies.

“This grieved father whose daughter was murdered in such a manner that to this day I have never seen this kind of brutality,” he said.

“I have been unable to save my blooming little fairy, never got the chance,” said a distraught Batalia. “That a dad couldn’t do more to protect her.”

He said he conceals his anger and is looking for justice.

“Until that justice comes to me, only that will comfort me,” he said.

He also made a plea for society to protect the vulnerable.

“Whatever it takes, please save the life of the women and the girls and all the children around you,” he said.

slazaruk@theprovince.com
twitter.com/susanlazaruk

© Copyright (c) The Province

source:http://www.theprovince.com/news/Mourners+farewell+slain+student+Maple+Batalia/5524082/story.html

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM